Round 15--Peak Antifreeze Indy 300

All about Indy Racing League (IRL)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

Who will win the Peak Antifreeze Indy 300?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:44 pm

Dan Wheldon
33%
Sam Hornish, Jr.
No votes
Tony Kanaan
No votes
Tomas Scheckter
No votes
Danica Patrick
33%
none of the above
33%

Total votes: 3

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Round 15--Peak Antifreeze Indy 300

Post by mlittle » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:44 pm

Now that everyone's recovered from the Labor Day(at least here in the U.S.) weekend, the IndyCar Series moves along to the 1.5-mile Chicagoland Speedway, located in the Chicago suburb of Joliet, setting of the two "Blues Brothers" movies, and home, also, to Round 15, the Peak Antifreeze Indy 300. With 18-degrees banking in the turns, 11 and 5-degrees in the front and backstraights(and a curved backstraight at that), the track has produced some of the series' closest finishes, and with the possibility that both the overall championship and rookie points championship might be decided this weekend, this year's race shouldn't be any different. Here's the weekend schedule for this weekend's race....

Saturday Practice #1--9:40 to 10:40 am EDT 10 Sept.
Saturday Practice #2--11:30 am to 1 pm EDT 10 Sept.
Qualifying Session--5:30 to 6:35 pm EDT 10 Sept.
Sunday Final Practice--9:30 to 10 am EDT 11 Sept.
Peak Antifreeze Indy 300--1:30 pm EDT 11 Sept.(green flag around 1:45 PM)

Mid-week storylines to follow on Tuesday. I'll also have a qual. and race summary, observations and anything else that comes along. Now, I just have to find julian, get that money to the tax office to save the orphanage and stay away from Fisher's character. Hey, we are in "Blues Brothers" territory, so if you see two guys in shades, dark hats, and suits driving around in a beat-up police crusier, don't worry. Just follow them to the track, okay? 8) 8) 8)
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Mid-Week Storylines from the Windy City

Post by mlittle » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:05 am

Here are some of the mid-week storylines that are flying around the track for this round....

1}101 and counting. When Ethanol Hemelgarn Racing's Jimmy Kite(#91 Ethanol Dallara/Toyota) takes the green on Sunday, it will mark the team's 101st cons. IRL start, making it one of two teams in the series, along with Panther Racing, to be in every IRL season. While the team has been a backmarker this year, they're still competitive and can never be counted out at each race.

2}Can Dan and Danica prevail this weekend? If either series points leader Dan Wheldon and/or series rookie points Danica Patrick can leave Sunday afternoon with a 77-point lead, they will clinch their respective titles. It would mark the first time that both the overall champion and the rookie points champion were decided in the same weekend. Considering how they've managed to best all comers in their respective categories, it would only be fitting.

3}McCune to make IPS debut. Ron Hemelgarn, in hiring USAC SprintCar racer Sarah McCune to drive for his Infiniti Pro Series team(think Atlantics on ovals) this week, made another piece of IndyCar Series history this week, for it will only be the second time in the "modern era" of AOWR that two women will race on the same weekend, albeit this time they're in different series. The first time was at Indianapolis for the 2000 Indy 500, when Lyn St. James and Sarah Fisher competed in the 500. One can only hope that she does well enough to catch the attention of IndyCar Series owners. Who knows...we might see her in a few years race alongside Wheldon, Hornish, Kanaan and Patrick.

As for the race....it's slated for broadcast on 11 Sept. 2005 at 1:30 PM on ABC Sports(17:30 UTC 11 Sept.) television, on domestic radio with the IMS Radio Network, webcast through the series' website(also broadcast w/the IMS Radio Network) and on domestic satellite radio with XM Satellite Radio.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Mid-Week IRL News-8 Sept. 2005

Post by mlittle » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:47 am

At their team's headquarters in Indianapolis, IndyCar Series team Vision Racing announced that there will be a new sponsor for the #20 Dallara/Toyota currently driven by Ed Carpenter--United Auto Insurance...at least for this weekend's Peak AntiFreeze Indy 300. In making the announcement, Carpenter said that, "I am very excited to finally have a sponsor on the car. Even though its' only for one race (right now), it's a good thing. We are looking forward to to doing a good job for United Auto Insurance, and it feels good to finally get something. It's a good reward for (the team's) hard work, and we will reward UAI for their faith in us by giving them a strong finish."

Meanwhile, Rahal-Letterman Racing announced at the team's Hilliard, Ohio headquarters that they have entered into a long-term marketing partnership with Proctor & Gamble, involving this year's Indy 500 Rookie of the Year, Danica Patrick. For this weekend's race, her #16 Argent/Pioneer Panoz/Honda will sport the company's Secret Anti-Perspirant brand on the car for the race, and there will be a marketing campaign beginning late this year centered around the series rookie. In making the announcement, the team's co-owner, Bobby Rahal, said that, "We are pleased to join Proctor & Gamble in this upcoming marketing campaign. We pride ourselves at Rahal-Letterman Racing on partnering ourselves with like-minded companies that are leaders intheir respective fields. To partner Danica, who has become a household name, with an established brand like Secret is an example of the non-traditional marketing opportunities that exist not only with our team but within the IRL IndyCar Series." Patrick echoed those sentiments, adding that, "I've been fortunate enough in my career to be associated with some outstanding companies as sponsors. For an established brand like Secret to expand their marketing efforts into the IndyCar Series, because of what I represent as an athlete, is extremely flattering."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Historic Day at Chicagoland

Post by mlittle » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:08 am

Maybe it's just the fact the race is in Chicago, but for the first time ever in Indy Racing League history, two women will start on the pole for the IndyCar Series and Infiniti Pro Series races on Sunday. For first-time IPS driver Sarah McCune, it was a dream session. She was the first out, put the #91 Ethanol Dallara/Infiniti on P1 with a time of 29.138 secs.(187.795 mph) and then waited as the other 11 starters took their chance to knock her off the top rung....and failed. But her qualfying run was the usual. For Rahal-Letterman Racing's Danica Patrick(#16 Secret Panoz/Honda), it was anything but. Like McCune, Patrick drew the first qual. spot, went out and, like McCune, put her car on P1 with a time of 25.398 secs.(215.970 mph), and then waited for the other 22 to, like in the IPS qual. session, knock her off the mountaintop. Well, at first, it looked like the three cars of Target/Ganassi Racing had done that, lining up 1-2-3 on the grid, with rookie Ryan Briscoe(#33 Target Panoz/Toyota) taking P1 from the Illinois native. Then, 90 minutes later....

What looked like a 1-2-3 sweep for TGR was thrown out as IRL tech officials found, during post-technical inspection, violations on all three cars, knocking them to the rear in 21-22-23, with Briscoe now riding "shotgun" on the field. When Rahal-Letterman Racing was informed of the tech officials' decision, the celebration could be heard throughout the paddock, and Patrick found herself, instead of sitting P4 alongside TGR's Scott Dixon, P1 for the third time this year with her RLR teammate Buddy Rice(#15 Argent/Pioneer Panoz/Honda) sitting in 2nd. The third member of the team, Vitor Meira(#17 Johns Manville/Menards Panoz/Honda) will start 20th due to an engine change prior to qualifying. I'll have more on what happened to Target/Ganassi in the observations for Saturday later this evening. Here are driver and engineer quotes from today....

Danica Patrick(#16 Secret P/H):"This is a pretty easy track to go flat out. You have to have good power and you have to make sure the car is fast on the straights. My Panoz is very good for qualifying and I don't know what is it they do.(referring to her race crew, led by engineer Ray Leto) They always improve my car and it's always stuck to the track. That gives me a lot of confidence for qualifying. I like this track because it's very smooth and has three different lanes for racing."

Buddy Rice(#15 Argent/Pioneer P/H):"(We were) flat out the whole way around. It definitely helped that we tested here last week and the team was able to pick up some additional information. We've been pretty quick here this weekend and the Panoz engineers helped us a lot."

Bruce Finwall(senior Panoz engineer):"We never quit and we (always) keep pushing forward for all of our teams. We continue searching for the best solutions for our teams, (especially) in these last three races."

Sarah McCune(#91 Ethanol D/I--IPS):"I always have high goals for myself, so I'm not really surprised and I'm really happy. I was a little bit nervous about the track, the different (kinds of) rubber on the track. I had a bit of understeer, but my dirt track experience helped a lot."
Last edited by mlittle on Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:12 am

Go, the ladies. This is just so good for motor racing. :lol:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:14 am

If they had only mentioned what happened to all three cars with TGR. I've heard of one car getting nailed for tech infractions in qual., and last year at Texas both Panther cars got nailed for those illegal flex-wing rear wings, but three cars? Still, it was nice for both Patrick and McCune, especially McCune, for this was her first-ever start in an Indy-style car.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

UPDATE on TGR Tech Infraction

Post by mlittle » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:35 am

It appears the flex-wing is back. There are a few things that the IRL tech inspectors absolutely hate....among them, unapproved engine or gear-ratio mods, cars under-wt., and "flexible" rear-wings. According to news reports, all three Target/Ganassi cars driven by Ryan Briscoe, Scott Dixon, and Jaques Lazier were found to have "flexible mounting points on the rear wing". Simply put, a flex-wing allows for less drag, which results in faster speeds. Just to be safe, the next three cars in line, belonging to Danica Patrick, Buddy Rice and Tomas Scheckter, were brought back to the tech line and given a through look-over, especially on the rear wing and wing-mounts(where the wing attaches to the chassis). Their cars passed inspection. In addition, several cars throughout the grid were re-checked as well; they passed tech, too.

As to TGR....when the league's HQs reviews the infractions this upcoming week, it won't be a pretty sight. Expect all three driver to lose championship pts. owner Chip Ganassi should expect to lose owner pts. for all three entries, and chances are that the team'll get nailed with a fine of some sort. :evil:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:50 am

The naughty little gumnuts deserve everything they get. :evil:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:32 pm

Considering what the infraction was, I kinda feel sorry for them. Not Ganassi...he should be placed in the inner circle of h--- next to Tony George. I feel sorry for his drivers, Jaques Lazier, Scott Dixon and, yeah, even Ryan Briscoe. One can only imagine what the drivers meeting's going to be like tomorrow morning. :oops:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Saturday Commentaries from Chicagoland....

Post by mlittle » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:58 pm

Attention: Will the owners of a two-tone, beat-up, old CPD Chevy Monte Carlo, please report to the TGR paddock? Your flex-wing's waiting....with that, here's the Saturday commentaries from Chicagoland....

1}Ladies first....For the first time in IRL history, two women, Danica Patrick and Sarah McCune, will start their respective races from the pole position, although if you've read the qual. summary, you already know how they got there. For McCune, it's her first pole, but for the "Roscoe Rocket", its' her third pole of the year(following P1's at Kansas and Kentucky). And because she won her third pole of the year....

2}Move over, Scheckter! Prior to today, Panther Racing's Tomas Scheckter held the record for most poles in a season for a rookie, with three from his 2002 season with Red Bull/Cheever. He'll have to share that honor with Patrick now.

3}Bye, bye Fontana. Now we know why the schedule(which was supposed to be released today :x ) wasn't. This year's season finale will be the final show for the IRL at Fontana, which has had pitiful(15-35K people) attendance at their 2002, 2003 and 2004 races. What is expected to replace it? Sources say that Tony George and Normand Legault were seen talking in the paddock area today. This is intriguing, because Legault is the promotor of record for both F1's Canadian Grand Prix and ChampCar's Molson Indy Montreal. Since the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve can only host two races a year(and there's zero chance the F1 race'll be axed....), all I can say is, stay tuned.

4}He got his ride, finally....Thiago Medieros, 2004 IPS champion, who I talked about in a "Stories from the Paddock" posting earlier in the year, finally got a ride. Dreyer & Reinbold announced yesterday that he would be getting a 1-off ride at Fontana in a D & R car. Congratulations to Thiago...although, personally, I think he should have gotten an IndyCar ride sooner. At least now he gets the opportunity to prove himself to everyone.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Wheldon wins 6th race of year; Briscoe hospitalized

Post by mlittle » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:07 am

Here's a brief update on the Peak Antifreeze Indy 300. Andretti-Green Racing can break out the champaign tonight; for the second consecutive year, an AGR driver will win the IRL IndyCar Series title, as Dan Wheldon won his 6th race of the 2005 season, setting a new record for wins in a season(previously held by Sam Hornish, Jr. w/5 wins in 2002). There will be a celebration, too, in the Rahal-Letterman Racing paddock, as rookie driver Danica Patrick all but clinched the Bombardier Rookie-of-the-Year Award with a 6th-place finish(all she has to do at the Glen is start the race and the title is hers).

However, there was a very scary crash involving fellow rookie Ryan Briscoe, who was airlifted to Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn, IL for precautionary head and back examination after being in a crash eerierly similar to the one suffered by Kenny Brack at Texas in Oct. 2003; however, Briscoe was alert and was able to get out of the monocoque(the central piece of the chassis), albiet with help from the Delphi Safety Team.

There'll be a more extensive review of the race to follow later in the day. But congratulations to new series champion Dan Wheldon and new rookie champion Danica Patrick. :clap: :clap: :clap: :up:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:56 am

Briscoe is going to have to seriously consider a safer career, like lawn bowls.
Is there a part of the scenery he has not visited?

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Wheldon wins at Chicagoland

Post by mlittle » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:34 am

In the 10-year history of the Indy Racing League, no driver has ever won the Indianapolis 500 and the series title in the same year. That ended today, as Andretti-Green Racing's Dan Wheldon(#26 Jim Beam/Klein Tools Dallara/Honda) won after an action-packed race, but one marked by a very violent crash early on.

When the green fell, Rahal-Letterman Racing's Danica Patrick(#16 Secret Panoz/Honda) led the field, finally leading the first lap from the green, as the cars of teammate Buddy Rice(#15 Argent/Pioneer Panoz/Honda), Tomas Scheckter(#4 Pennzoil Dallara/Chevy) and Marlboro-Team Penske's Sam Hornish, Jr.(#6 Marlboro-Team Penske Dallara/Toyota), gave chase. By lap 2, Scheckter had taken the lead from Patrick, but he soon had more company, as Wheldon found himself upfront along with Patrick, Hornish, and Rice. As they began lap 20, the five had separated themselves from the field when the yellow flag, and then, the red flag came out for a violent three-car wreck involving Ryan Briscoe(#33 Target Panoz/Toyota), Alex Barron(#51 Red Bull/IZOD Dallara/Toyota) and Kosuke Matsuura(#55 Panasonic ARTA Dallara/Honda). Here's what happened...As the three entered turn 3, Briscoe, having caught the draft off of Barron, attempted to pass Barron but caught his right front tire on Barron's left sidepod, and went airborne over Barron. Briscoe's car caught the catchfencing, ripping the car into three pieces. The rear wing assembly and transmission were in one area, the Toyota Indy V8 engine and back of the chassis were in another(the engine was ripped in half by the impact) and the rest of the chassis(w/Briscoe) was further along the track. He was able to exit the monocoque, but complained of head and back pain and was taken to the infield care center, then airlifted to a local hospital. Neither Barron nor Matsuura was injured.

After a 16-minute red flag period, the race resumed on lap 31, and once again, the lead pack resumed their fight. Scheckter reassumed the lead, chased by Hornish, Wheldon, Patrick, Rice and Castroneves, who took turns trying to pass the South African. By lap 78, the first of the leaders, Wheldon and Patrick, would pit for fuel and tires, handing the lead to Castroneves, who then piited the next lap, handing the lead to Scheckter, who along with Hornish, Tony Kanaan(#11 Team 7-11 Dallara/Honda), Rice and Dario Franchitti(#27 ArcaEx Dallara/Honda), would pit, and the lead fell to rookie Tomas Enge(#2 Rockstar Energy Drink Dallara/Chevy), who then pitted himself, giving the lead to Castroneves. Then, the yellow flew for debris in turn 3, and, opting to come in, everyone did. As they were leaving, Wheldon was caught speeding on pitroad, and placed at the end of the lead-lap line, dropping him back to 17th.

When the green fell again, the lead pack of Kanaan, Patrick, Hornish, Rice and Franchitti were soon joined by Wheldon and the fourth member of the AGR stable, Bryan Herta(#7 XM Satellite Radio Dallara/Honda), and the front-runners began pulling away from the rest of the field. Then, another caution, as TGR's Scott Dixon(#9 Target Panoz/Toyota) ran out of fuel while amking his in-lap onto pitroad. Once again, everyone came in, and when the stops were made, it was a dragrace down the pitlane between Wheldon, Patrick and Scott Sharp(#8 Delphi Panoz/Honda), with Sharp edging out Patrick and Wheldon. Kanaan, however, was the first out, and led the field to the green on lap 126.

It soon became a two-car battle between Kanaan and Hornish as the others slowly reeled them in. As the laps wound down, the lead drivers made their final stops. First Herta, who got fuel, tires and a front wing adjustment. Then Sharp came in for fuel and tires, followed by Hornish and the others. By the time the last of the frontrunners made their stops, it became a full-fledged shootout for the win. The final caution came out on lap 183 as the gearbox on Dixon's car finally froze up and broke, stranding him on the track. Wheldon, who had patiently made his way to the front, led the field to the green on lap 188. However, some in the field were a bit too impatient, as Patrick jumped the gun on the restart(rules prohibit drivers from passing on restarts until they cross the start/finish line) and was ordered by race control to relinquish two spots on the grid. It wouldn't matter, as Wheldon held off the Penske-duo of Hornish and Castroneves to capture his 6th win of the season by 67-ten/thousandths of a second, the 8th closest finish in IRL history. With the win, Wheldon clinched his first series title, while Patrick, who finished 6th, clinched the rookie points title and just needs to start Sept 25th at the Glen to officially clinch the title. Here's the top 10 finishers from today's race....

1st}#26 Dan Wheldon D/H
2nd}#3 Helio Castroneves D/T
3rd}#6 Sam Hornish, Jr. D/T
4th}#4 Tomas Scheckter D/C
5th}#11 Tony Kanaan D/H
6th}#16 Danica Patrick P/H
7th}#17 Vitor Meira P/H
8th}#8 Scott Sharp P/H
9th}#83 Patrick Carpentier D/T
10th}#95 Buddy Lazier D/C

Observations to follow later in the evening.......
Last edited by mlittle on Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:41 am

Apart from visiting parts of tracks where cars are not meant to go, is there a driver that Briscoe has not hit?

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:05 am

Let's see....you know, I think he's met all of them..there's Kanaan, Sharp, Patrick...it's too many to count, julian.