2006 Champ Car World Series Testing Schedule and News

All about the Champ Car World Series (CCWS)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

2006 Champ Car World Series Testing Schedule and News

Post by mlittle » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:49 pm

As with the IRL thread of the same name, this thread will discuss CC's testing information, rules, schedules and news.

Here are the changes for 2006....

1}The testing schedule commences on November 7, 2005 and ends the Monday following the season finale in 2006.

2}All testing days allocated to Champ Car teams are non-transferable between teams; both Lola and Cosworth will have designated testing days yet to be announced.

3}Each full-season entrant will be allocated 2 test days; all other dates(other than series-sanctioned open test dates) must be approved by Champ Car officials.

4}Series-sanctioned open dates for testing are as follows:28 March-31 March, 2006, California Speedway road course; 12 April-14 April 2006, Portland International Raceway and 2 June 2006 at The Milwaukee Mile.

5}Any driver designated as a rookie for 2006 will be allocated 2 additional testing days on top of all other test dates. Drivers with a partial season schedule will be accorded a reduced number of test dates.

6}ALL testing for teams is prohibited during race weekends starting with the first practice session and through the end of the race weekend itself. This rule applies regardless of whether the event is actually held or is cancelled/postponed/rescheduled.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Dates set for Sebring tests

Post by mlittle » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:42 am

While I expect this to expand, currently both PKV Racing and Newman-Haas Racing have announced their intent to test at the Florida racetrack in mid-December before Christmas. The track is slated to host Champ Car testing on the following dates:12, 13 and 14 December and again from 20-21 December 2005.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Junky to Return to NHR in December

Post by mlittle » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:51 pm

For Bruno Junquiera, this had to be a nightmare of a year. I mean, he wins at Monterrey, carries the points lead into Milwaukee, and instead finds himself with a broken back and a premature end to his 2005 season, courtesy of a slow-moving chicane o/k/a A.J. Foyt, IV, at this year's Indianapolis 500. However, Christmas for the Brazilian has come early indeed, as the team announced that Junky will be back in a Champ Car for the first time since Memorial Day Sunday.

Indeed, it has a long year for him. Following his crash at Indy, resulting in two broken vertebrae and a broken ankle, he spent some time in Indy and in south Florida under the supervision of noted orthopedic surgeon Dr. Terry Trammel. Within a week of his crash, Junquiera was walking and getting back in shape. But don't kid yourself; it was a long road of rehabilitation he went through to get himself cleared for racing in 2006.

When he does make it to Sebring, he'll test alongside with teammates Sebastien Bourdais and Oriol Servia. According to the team's general manager, Brian Lisles,
It's a two-day test, although we've reserved it (Sebring) for a three-day test. Part of that is if we have a weather problem. But if we have no weather problem(s), we expect to run Bruno on the 12th and I suspect most of the morning will be spent getting him comfortable. Then Monday afternoon, we'll work on him getting back up to speed. We're anticipating that he will do around 150 miles. And since Sebring is actually pretty hard work as a track, he'll be pretty fatigued by Monday evening. Then the plan is to give him a day off, mentally and physically, and then on Wednesday allow him to get up to speed consistantly, and then do some long runs as a testing situation.
However, Junquiera sees it a little bit differently.
I'm going to approach it as a regular test. Maybe on the first day we aren't going to do much testing on the car; it's going to be more for myself to adapt to some of the things that have been developed since my accident. Then the second day will maybe be more testing; trying to begin preparations for next year, for Long Beach.
Regardless of how he does at Sebring, I can think of only one thing to say....Welcome Back, Bruno! :bounce: :bouncey: :bouncec: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :up:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:28 am

Here's a brief(and probably partial) listing of who will be testing at Sebring this month......

1}MiJack-Conquest.......Charles Zwolsman, Jan Heylen....Dec. 13-14
2}Newman-Haas...........Sebastien Bourdais, Bruno Junquiera, Oriol Servia, Dec. 12-14
3A}PKV Racing......Giorgio Pantano, Ryan Briscoe, Ryan Dalziel, Dec. 12-14
3B}PKV Racing.......Katherine Legge, Dec. 20-21
4}Rocketsports.....Richard Lyons, Dec. 12-13
5}MiJack-Conquest........Tonis Kasemets, Dec. 14

As more info becomes available, I'll post it on this thread. Enjoy!

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:11 am

mlittle wrote:Here's a brief(and probably partial) listing of who will be testing at Sebring this month......

1}MiJack-Conquest.......Charles Zwolsman, Jan Heylen....Dec. 13-14
2}Newman-Haas...........Sebastien Bourdais, Bruno Junquiera, Oriol Servia, Dec. 12-14
3A}PKV Racing......Giorgio Pantano, Ryan Briscoe, Ryan Dalziel, Dec. 12-14
3B}PKV Racing.......Katherine Legge, Dec. 20-21
4}Rocketsports.....Richard Lyons, Dec. 12-13
5}MiJack-Conquest........Tonis Kasemets, Dec. 14

As more info becomes available, I'll post it on this thread. Enjoy!
It appears that Atlantic Championship racer Katherine Legge will be getting an extra test session at Sebring this week. Sources close to Rocketsports Racing owner Paul Gentilozzi report that he has offered Legge a test on Dec. 13th. Also, the same sources mentioned that should Legge decide to make the jump up to ChampCar in 2006, it could be w/Rocketsports rather than PKV, as Timo Glock, the 2005 CCWS Rookie-of-the-Year, is reportedly eyeing a GP2 seat for the next year. Assuming that Michael McDowell remains w/the Lansing, mich. based team, then it is possible that PKV owner Kevin Kalkhoven may allow Legge to race there if there is no seat available at PKV next year.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Sebring Testing-12 December; Junquiera fastest

Post by mlittle » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:14 am

The testing period has officially begun, as several teams tested drivers on the 1.7+-mile short course at Sebring Intl. Raceway in Florida, and leading the way was a very familiar face. After being out of a Champ Car since Monterrey in late May, Newman-Haas Racing's Bruno Junquiera posted the fastest lap of the day, at 51.1 secs.(times are listed to the tenth, unfortunately.) However, fresh on his heels and sampling a Champ Car for the first time was Australian Ryan Briscoe, who posted a 51.5 sec. flyer in a PKV Racing, followed very closely by Ryan Dalziel at 51.7 secs. Both Briscoe and Dalziel tested under the watchful eyes of 1996 series champion Jimmy Vasser, who was impressed by their speed and acumen during the day. Here are some quotes from the drivers involved....

Bruno Junquiera, Newman-Haas Racing:
Today's one of the best days of my career! I have worked hard for months to get back in the PacifiCare car and we were up to speed quick. I feel great! I'm at 100% right now. We had no problems and I ran as many laps as my race engineer would let me.
Ryan Briscoe, PKV Racing:
It has been a busy week. A Champ Car and a Formula 1 car are very similar. A Champ Car has more horsepower and no driver aids so you have to set it up for the middle of the corner. Both cars are demanding and you don't want to try and muscle them around. It was a good day and I know there are a few drivers (who) are trying for a seat at PKV. I know I'm getting a fair shot and I think things are looking good.
Tomorrow's session should see both of Newman-Haas' other drivers, 2-time Vanderbilt Cup champion Sebastien Bourdais and 2005 runner-up Oriol Servia, on track, as well as the debut test for Atlantic racer Katherine Legge, who will be testing a Rocketsports Champ Car a week before her PKV test. Also scheduled on the session....MiJack-Conquest with 2005 Atlantic champion Charles Zwolsman and Belgian driver jan Heylen; Richard Lyons with Rocetsports, and 2005 Atlantic runner-up Tonis Kasemets, also with MiJack-Conquest.

12 December Test Times......
1}Bruno Junquiera, Newman-Haas Racing.......51.1 secs.
2}Ryan Briscoe, PKV Racing..........................51.5 secs.
3}Ryan Dalziel, PKV Racing...........................51.7 secs.
4}Jan Heylen, MiJack-Conquest Racing............52.1 secs.
5}Richard Lyons, Rocketsports Racing.............52.3 secs.
6}Alx Danielson, MiJack-Conquest Racing........52.9 secs.
7}Dan Clarke, MiJack-Conquest Racing...........53.8 secs.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Sebring Testing--13 December;Legge makes CC debut

Post by mlittle » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:47 pm

While Newman-Haas's trio of drivers took the day off, several drivers currently in the series or looking to enter in 2006 tested today at Sebring, including Atlantics driver Katherine Legge, who turned a total of 70 laps in the afternoon period, posting a fast lap of 53.1 secs.. However, as she saw it...
Today's test was very enjoyable. I think it was a big advantage for me. Today's test wasn't about lap times; it wasabout getting to know about the car and the track. It wasincredibly valuable for me. Next week will be about lap times. I'm very grateful to Paul Gentilozzi and the whole Rocketsports team for the opportunity; it has been a pleasure working with them.
Meanwhile, PKV Racing tested drivers Ryan Dalziel and Giorgio Pantano, with both of them setting fast laps in the 51.5 sec. range; in fact, both of them were the only ones under 52 secs. today, as drivers tested under cool and windy conditions in Sebring today. Dalziel was especially pleased with his session today, noting that,
I was quick straight off the truck today. We struggled yesterday morning as I worked to rid myself of (some) bad sports car habits. I was able to get up to speed in the afternoon and it carried over to today. We did a long run on full tanks today late in the afternoon and I learned some things. I'm happy with how things have gone.
NOTE:Dalziel's reference to "bad" sports car habits goes to the fact that he drove in both the American LeMans Series and Rolex Sports Car Series, where the driving style is quite different from that of driving a 750+ hp ChampCar.

In addition, MiJack-Conquest tested a trio of young guns as well, with Alx Danielsson and Charles Zwolsman posting 52.1 and 52.2 sec. laps; Dan Clarke posted a 53.5 sec. fast lap. Here are the session results; the fastest combined test time is still NHR's Bruno Junquiera from 12 Dec. @ 51.1 secs.....

13 December Test Times.......
1}Ryan Dalziel, PKV Racing............................51.5 secs.
2}Giorgio Pantano, PKV Racing.......................51.5 secs.
3}Alx Danielsson, MiJack-Conquest Racing.......52.1 secs.
4}Charles Zwolsman, MiJack-Conquest Racing..52.2 secs.
5}Richard Lyons, Rocketsports Racing..............52.3 secs.
6}Katherine Legge, Rocketsports Racing...........53.2 secs.
7}Dan Clarke, MiJack-Conquest Racing............53.5 secs.

Tomorrow will be the third and final day of the three-day session at Sebring; beside Junquiera, who has the fastest time in the combined session charts,Charles Zwolsman and Tonis Kasemets will test for MiJack-Conquest and Giorgio Pantano and Ryan Briscoe will test for PKV Racing.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Sebring Testing Concludes; Junquiera tops chart

Post by mlittle » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:36 am

The first of two December testing sessions at Sebring International Raceway concluded today w/both Bruno Junquiera and Giorgio Pantano topping the charts at a hair under 51 secs.(both timed in at 50.9 secs.). For Junky, it was his second day of testing for Newman-Haas, while for Pantano, it was his second day w/PKV Racing, and both enjoyed the favorable track conditions, due to the mid-70-deg.(F) weather and two days' worth of Bridgestone rubber on the tarmac. Here are a couple of quotes from some of today's drivers......

Bruno Junquiera, Newman-Haas Racing:
We had a very good test today. The Newman-Haas teamdid a great job preparing the PacifiCare car and I felt very comfortable. I'm really happy to be back in the car and I can't wait for my next testing.
Charles Zwolsman, MiJack-Conquest Racing:
The test went pretty good. Every time we went out for a run we improved so that was very encouraging. It took me awhile to settle into the car because we were running less downforce than I did in Mexico City. I took my time feeling out the car. I know I can go faster; I just need to put a whole lap together.
December 14 Test Times.......
1}Bruno Junquiera, Newman-Haas Racing............50.9 secs.
2}Giorgio Pantano, PKV Racing...........................50.9 secs.
3}Ryan Briscoe, PKV Racing...............................51.0 secs.
4}Charles Zwolsman, MiJack-Conquest Racing.....51.8 secs.
5}Tonis Kasemets, MiJack-Conquest Racing.........54.4 secs.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Legge Impressive in First PKV Test

Post by mlittle » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:00 pm

Last week, Atlantic Championship driver Katherine Legge got her first taste of what a 750-hp behemoth a Champ Car can be when she tested for Rocketsports Dec. 13th. Today, she dove in head-first as she began the first of two days of testing for PKV Racing, and from the looks of it, impressed everyone there, turning over 200 miles during the day, setting a fast lap of 52.1 secs., more than a second better than when she was a t Sebring last week. With 1996 series champion Jimmy Vasser setting the benchmarks for the session, Legge acquitted herself well, as Vasser's fellow team co-owners, Dan Pettit and Kevin Kalkhoven, along with another prospective driver for PKV, Ryan Dalziel, all were quite pleased with the Brit's performance. When asked how the day went, Legge, who has also tested a Formula 1 car for Minardi and an A1GP car for Team Great Britain in the past month, replied,
Overall, it was a good day. I'm getting more accustomed to driving a Champ Car and I'm very thankful to PKV for this opportunity and their help. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't break into the 51-second range, but the day went well and I'm happy with the way I drove. We still have some work to do tomorrow.
Also impressed was PKV's general manager, Jim McGee, who has helped oversee 90 Champ Car wins during his career.
Katherine did a very good job today. She ran quite a few miles today and we tried some different things on the car once she got comfortable. We still want to do some longer, full-tank runs, but we've got another day ahead of us.
However, there's still work ahead, or as Legge put it.....
Last week's test with Rocketsports really helped he get used to driving a Champ Car and I think I did a good job today. But I still need to work on getting more consistent in the car.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Legge concludes 2-day test at Sebring

Post by mlittle » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:13 pm

If there were still any doubts as to whether Katherine Legge could handle a 750-hp Champ Car, put those concerns to pasture, everyone. The 25-year old British racer ran around 110+ laps at the 1.7-mile Sebring "short" course, setting a fast lap of 51.5 secs., about 1/2-sec. faster than her fast lap yesterday. With temps around the mid-50's(F) and chilly winds blowing, it wasn't the best testing conditions, but that didn't stop her. As she put it afterwards.....
It was an awesome experience. I have to thank PKV Racing and co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven for this opportunity. Seeing as there weren't any other Champ Cars on the track so there wasn't much rubber, I really wanted to reach a time of 51.5 and I was able to do that. We did a lot of laps and and some pretty long runs and I came away from the experience knowing I did my very best.
1996 Champ Car series champion Jimmy Vasser, who supervised the 2-day session for PKV, was also impressed, noting that....
She did a great job and she's definitely not afraid to push the car to its' limits. We all watched Katherine race last year in Atlantics and we knew she was a good driver. But until you work with someone you don't truly know how determined they are. After these last two days, one thing I know for sure now is that she a tremendous level of determination. She has the talent to compete at this level.
When asked about the team's 2006 makeup, he hinted.....
We'll sit down as a team in mid-January and look at all the data from the tests and make a decision from there. Katherine, along with the other drivers we've been looking at, will certainly be in the mix at that time.
At the end of the day, whilst the sun began to set on the Sebring track, Legge was asked by reporters to sum up her 2005 season. She paused a moment, and reflected,
It's been an unbelieveable year. Regardless of where I wind up racing, the experiences I've had will be a massive help to me on the race track in 2006.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Upcoming Sebring Tests

Post by mlittle » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:02 am

The next round of off-season testing for the Champ Car World Series is slated to begin 26 Jan. at the Sebring short course. Currently only two teams are set to resume testing, Newman-Haas Racing and PKV Racing. As more info comes in, I'll update this posting.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:36 pm

The rumour factory here has Legge doing another season of Atlantics to toughen her racecraft in the beefed up series 8)
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:51 pm

I'd say the odds are 50-50 in either direction, but the rumor mill has her making the jump up. IMHO I think PKV's making too much silly-season noise, especially when you pair all the talk of her racing in CC's next year w, A)the talk of Servia taking one of the two PKV seats(replacing da Matta), and B)the talk of Vasser retiring prior to the start of the 2006 season. If both happens, then Legge is at the top of a short list, even though they've tested Briscoe, Pantano, and Dalziel as well.

My guess, Julian......it could go either way. There is one bright spot, though......PKV's given a mid-Feb. date for making any announcements on the 2006 season for both their CC and Atlantics driver lineup. All anyone can do is....wait and watch. 8)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:38 pm

sigh, guess so :cry:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

CC testing resumes today at Sebring

Post by mlittle » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:28 pm

According to ar1.com, here is a prelim. list of the teams &/or drivers set to test at the Sebring "short course" on 26-27 Jan.

Teams:1}PKV Racing(Franck Montagny, Katherine Legge)
2}Newman-Haas Racing(Timo Glock, Bruno Junquiera)
3}Forsythe Championship Racing(drivers tba)

The tentative schedule has PKV and Newman-Haas testing today, with Forsythe testing on Friday. More info to come later today.....