DP-3} #8 Corsa Car Care BMW/Riley, 1:46.519 sec
DP-4} #75 Krohn Racing Ford/Lola, 1:48.234 sec
DP-5} #9 Action Express Porsche/Riley, 1:48.799 sec

GT-1} #30 Racers' Edge Mazda RX-8, 1:52.323 sec
GT-2} #44 Magnus Racing Porsche 911 GT3, 1:53.575 sec
GT-3} #07 Mobil 1 Corvette C-6R, 1:53.763 sec
GT-4} #43 Sahlen's Mazda RX-8, 1:54.084 sec
GT-5} #69 FXDD Mazda RX-8, 1:54.249 sec
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Rojas, Taylor on point at VIR

Post by mlittle » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:08 pm

Rojas and co-driver Scott Pruett will start Saturday's Bosch Engineering 250 on point in the Daytona Prototype class

DANVILLE, Va. (AP) - Memo Rojas turned a lap of 1:41.796 (115.643 mph) during Friday's qualifying session at Virginia International Raceway to capture the pole position for Saturday's fourth round of the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series season.

Rojas and co-driver Scott Pruett, in the No. 01 TELMEX BMW Riley, are going for three consecutive Daytona Prototype victories and their second victory at VIR in three years. The duo leads the driver standings by 11 points (102-91) after three races.

"We were trying to be greedy, I guess," said Rojas, the fourth driver to win a pole position this season. "Scott and I push each other as hard as we can so we each can go faster, and that was the case for me today." Starting alongside Rojas is Mark Wilkins in the No. 61 AIM Autosport Ford Riley.

In the GT class, Jordan Taylor earned his first career pole position in the No. 30 IDEMISTU Mazda RX-8 with a speed of 1:50.319 (106.708 mph). He will be joined on the front row by class points leader Jonathan Bomarito in the No. 70 Castrol Syntec Mazda RX-8. Mazdas, taking both positions on the front row, swept the podium in GT earlier this month at Barber Motorsports Park.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Pruett, Rojas Extend Points Leads After VIR Win.............

Post by mlittle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:06 pm

VIR winners Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas celebrate their third consecutive DP win with a custom PRS guitar.........

DANVILLE, Va. - Scott Pruett survived a pair of late-race restarts and a strong challenge by Burt Frisselle to win Saturday's Bosch Engineering 250 before a record crowd at Virginia International Raceway.

The victory gave the No. 01 TELMEX Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates BMW Riley started by Memo Rojas its third consecutive GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 victory.

Andy Lally, making his 100th career start, had contact with Bill Auberlen with two laps remaining but held on to win in GT, driving TRG's No. 66 AXA Porsche GT3 started by Ted Ballou.

Pruett and Rojas led all but nine of the 84 laps in the two-hour, 45-minute event. Entering the final half hour, though, Pruett brushed a GT car and half of his rear spoiler began flapping. It finally broke off on Lap 73, bringing out the second caution of the event. Several Daytona Prototypes tangled on the Lap 77 restart, including the No. 99 GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing Chevrolet Riley of Alex Gurney, the No. 9 Action Express Racing Porsche Riley of Joao Barbosa and the No. 90 Spirit of Daytona Racing Porsche Coyote of Antonio Garcia, bringing out the final caution.

Action resumed for a five-lap dash to the checkered flag, with Pruett holding off Frisselle by .293 seconds. Frisselle matched his career-best finish, sharing the No. 61 AIM Autosport Ford Riley with Mark Wilkins.

"It was sideways everywhere, because we lost a lot of downforce," said Pruett after scoring his 26th career victory - 25 of them in a Ganassi Daytona Prototype. "The only advantage was straight-line speed, so I knew if I could get off the turns well, I'd be very difficult to pass - because the straightaways are the best place to pass here."

Rojas started from the pole and led the opening 22 circuits before pitting under the green flag near the 45-minute mark, turning the car over to Pruett. "The balance of the car changed from qualifying to the race and the car became pretty loose," Rojas said. "It made it more difficult to drive, but it was still fast. In the end, that's all that matters."

It was Wilkins' best finish since 2008, when he and Brian Frisselle won two races. Burt Frisselle - Brian's older brother - had two podium finishes in 2004, including a second at Watkins Glen International. "Scott obviously had a winning car," Burt Frisselle said. "There were places on the track where you could definitely make up time on him, but he really pushed hard - he did a heck of a job."

Max Angelelli and Ricky Taylor finished third in the No. 10 SunTrust Racing Ford Dallara. It marked Taylor's first career podium finish. Darren Law and David Donohue finished fourth in the No. 59 Brumos.com Porsche Riley, followed by Jon Fogarty and Gurney. Ryan Dalziel teamed with Mike Forest to finish sixth in the No. 8 Starworks Motorsport BMW Riley. After four races, Pruett and Rojas hold 21-point lead over Dalziel in the Daytona Prototype standings (137-116).

Lally made his move on a call by TRG team owner Kevin Buckler to stay out with the No. 66 AXA Porsche GT3 after the second caution flag waved, moving from seventh position to take second. He took the lead shortly after the restart and led the final 25 circuits. It was Lally's 21st career victory and first for Ballou.

Bill Auberlen, who took over from Paul Dalla Lana in the No. 94 Turner Motorsports BMW M6 at the 45 minute mark, pressured Lally down the stretch. The two ran side-by-side with two laps remaining before making contact. Auberlen spun through the grass, and recovered to finish eighth.

Lally then held off Jeff Segal by .712 seconds, ending the two-race winning streak of Segal and Emil Assentato in the SpeedSource No. 69 FXDD Mazda RX-8. "Kevin made a great call," Lally said. "We stayed out under the second to get the wave by, then the pit crew had a lightning stop that got us out in front of the pace car. Bill was coming up on us a second a lap. We raced as clean as we could. I just held my ground - I wasn't going to give more than an inch. To celebrate my 100th race with a win was monumental."

Segal's crew made a similar call after the team had been struggling throughout the weekend and running 10th.

Paul Edwards and Scott Russell finished third in the No. 07 Airjax.com Corvette after running in or near the top three throughout the race. It was the first podium finish for Russell, a world superbike champion and five-time winner of America's leading motorcycle race - the Daytona 200 By Honda - before moving to four-wheeled competition.

The two cars to beat in GT were the No. 30 IDEMITSU/3Dimensional.com Mazda RX-8 of Jordan Taylor and Todd Lamb, and the No. 70 Castrol Syntec Mazda RX-8 of Jonathan Bomarito and Sylvain Tremblay. Taylor won the pole and led the opening 21 circuits, with Lamb talking over and leading 29 laps. Both teams opted to return to their starting drivers on their second pit stop, but Taylor and Bomarito were caught back in the pack and were unable to get back into contention. They finished sixth and ninth, respectively.

John Potter and Craig Stanton finished fourth in the No. 44 Magnus Racing Porsche GT3, followed by James Gue and Leh Keen in the No. 41 Dempsey Racing/Team Seattle Mazda RX-8.

The second-place finish, on the heels of victories at Homestead-Miami Speedway and Barber Motorsports Park, gives Segal and Assentato a three-point lead in the GT championship (118-115), with seventh-place finishers Robin Liddell and Andrew Davis in the No. 57 Stevenson Motorsports Camaro another three points back.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:17 pm

2010 Grand-Am Rolex Series

DAYTONA PROTOTYPE STANDINGS.................
~~~DP Drivers' Standings(top-10+)
t-1st}[1]Scott Pruett, 137 pts(3 wins)
t-1st}[2]Memo Rojas, 137 pts(3 wins)
3rd} Ryan Dalziel, 116 pts(1 win)
t-4th}[4]Burt Frisselle, 109 pts
t-4th}[5]Mark Wilkins, 109 pts
t-6th}[6]Darren Law, 106 pts
t-6th}[7]David Donohue, 106 pts
8th} Mike Forest, 100 pts
t-9th}[9]John Pew, 99 pts
t-9th}[10]Max Angelelli, 99 pts
t-9th}[11]Oswaldo Negri, 99 pts
t-9th}[12]Ricky Taylor, 99 pts
~~~DP Engine Standings
1st} BMW, 137 pts(3 wins)
2nd} Porsche, 121 pts(1 win)*
3rd} Ford, 120 pts
4th} Chevrolet, 97 pts
*--Porsche currently runs 2 different types of engines in Grand-Am DP competition, a "flat V6" and a "Cayenne V8"
~~~DP Chassis Standings
1st} Riley Tech., 140 pts(4 wins)
2nd} Dallara, 108 pts
3rd} Coyote, 88 pts
4th} Lola, 86 pts
5th} Crawford, 14 pts

GRAND TOURING STANDINGS
~~~GT Drivers Standings(top-10)
t-1st}[1]Emil Assentato, 118 pts(2 wins)
t-1st}[2]Jeff Segal, 118 pts(2 wins)
t-3rd}[3]Jonathan Bomarito, 115 pts(1 win)
t-3rd}[4]Sylvain Tremblay, 115 pts(1 win)
t-5th}[5]Andrew Davis, 112 pts
t-5th}[6]Robin Liddell, 112 pts
7th} Andy Lally, 104 pts(1 win)
t-8th}[8]Bill Auberlen, 97 pts
t-8th}[9]James Gue, 97 pts
t-8th}[10]Leh Keen, 97 pts
~~~GT Manufacturers' Standings
1st} Mazda, 137 pts(3 wins)
2nd} Chevrolet, 118 pts**
3rd} Porsche, 110 pts
4th} BMW, 97 pts
5th} Ferrari, 32 pts
6th} Ford, 16 pts
**--Chevrolet runs 2 different makes in Grand-Am GT competition, the Chevrolet Corvette C6-R and the Camaro GT-R

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Drivers Head for Lime Rock for Tuesday Open Test

Post by mlittle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:22 pm

For the first time since Grand-Am has visited Lime Rock Park in 2000, both Daytona Prototypes' and Grand Touring race-cars will be on-track for this year's New England Grand Prix

The GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series Daytona Prototypes will test at Lime Rock Park on Tuesday, in preparation for their first race at the Connecticut track on May 31.

Overall, 11 Daytona Prototypes are expected to participate in the test, which begins at noon ET. Teams will test the facility's new 1.5-mile course. The Rolex Series has competed at Lime Rock Park on six occasions, the first in 2000, and most recently in 2008, with the production-based GT class only.

One of the teams testing this week will be the championship-leading No. 01 TELMEX BMW Riley of Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas. Pruett and Rojas have won three consecutive races and will go for a record four in a row at Lime Rock.

In the GT class, SpeedSource's Nos. 69 and 70 Mazda RX-8s, separated by three points at the top of the class' standings, are also expected.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Successful Test at Lime Rock

Post by mlittle » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:46 am

LAKEVILLE, Conn. - The GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series Daytona Prototypes made their long-awaited first appearance at Lime Rock Park on Tuesday, taking part in an unofficial test in preparation for the Memorial Day classic.

A total of 19 cars - including 11 Daytona Prototypes - tackled changing weather conditions throughout the six-hour session. The GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 will race here on Monday, May 31, at 2 p.m. ET (SPEED, live), featuring both the Daytona Prototypes and production-based GT cars. Competitors gave favorable reviews to the new 1.5-mile layout, using the optional uphill with the classic West Bend.

Daytona Prototype teams participating included two cars from both Michael Shank Racing and Starworks Motorsports, along with single cars from TELMEX Chip Ganassi with Felix Sabates, GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing, Brumos Racing, Action Express Racing, SunTrust Racing, AIM Autosport and Krohn Racing. GT teams included three Mazdas from SpeedSource plus the Dempsey Racing/Team Seattle Mazda, Racers Edge Mazda, Magnus Porsche, Turner BMW and Whelen Corvette.

By the end of the day and on a dry track, Daytona Prototype drivers were turning laps in the 49-second range. Drivers in the GT class, which last visited Lime Rock in 2008 on the old course, clocked in at 53 seconds.

"A lap goes so quick here," said Rojas, testing the championship-leading TELMEX BMW Riley with Joey Hand. "The biggest thing I remember is that you have to stay on top of things the entire time. There isn't a lot of time to do things here."

David Donohue is happy to see the Daytona Prototypes becoming part of the Memorial Day Weekend habit. "Lime Rock was one of the tracks I grew up on and a place my father (Mark Donohue) was really good at," said Donohue, sharing the No. 59 Brumos.com Porsche Riley with Darren Law. "I'm definitely looking forward to coming back on Memorial Day and being part of that tradition."

The only incident of the day occurred late in the session, when Nick Longhi spun the No. 69 FXDD Mazda RX-8 into the guardrail on the back straightaway. Longhi was uninjured. The team currently leads the GT team championship by three points (118-115).

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Finding A Home in Grand-Am...........

Post by mlittle » Wed May 05, 2010 4:25 pm

Grand-Am drivers Mike Forest and Ricky Taylor, Homestead 2009

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Mike Forest expects to be relocating from Colorado to a new address sometime in the next month or so. But the 28-year-old racer has seemingly found a long-term home in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 with Starworks Motorsport, co-driving the No. 8 Starworks Motorsport BMW Riley with 2010 Rolex 24 At Daytona overall co-winner Ryan Dalziel.

"I've been extremely impressed with GRAND-AM and I really would like to continue driving in GRAND-AM," Forest says. "I think the talent level is extremely high and the racing is really close, competitive and enjoyable from a racing point of view. You definitely want to be able to change positions and run close with guys and GRAND-AM definitely offers that.

"I think the (Daytona) Prototypes is where I'll be looking to race the next number of years. Hopefully, we can keep our program together here with Starworks and we'll be able to progress over the years with them as well."

The 2010 season has gotten off to a great start for Forest, who is competing in his first full season of Daytona Prototype competition after getting his first taste of the Daytona Prototype last year with Beyer Racing. While Dalziel co-drove the No. 9 Action Express Porsche Riley to the Rolex 24 victory, Forest combined with Kasper Anderson, Bill Lester and Dion von Moltke to finish 12th overall in the Rolex 24.

Joining forces with regular co-driver Dalziel, the No. 8 duo claimed a fifth-place result in Round 2 at Homestead-Miami Speedway, followed by a hard-fought third-place run in Round 3 at Barber Motorsports Park.

Forest and Dalziel combined to finish sixth last time out at VIR, and Dalziel trails only the championship-leading No. 01 TELMEX Chip Ganassi Racing BMW Riley co-drivers Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas in the driver standings. Forest is currently eighth in driver points with one-third of the 2010 Rolex Series season complete.

"I think this season has been really good four races in," says Forest. "So far, in these first couple of races, we've managed to do a really good job. Certainly, the podium at Barber was nice to get early on, and I think it sets us all up to believe that we can win a race this year, which is our goal. We want to be on the podium and win races. I'm just really excited about the rest of this season and working with these guys."

Starworks Motorsport owner Peter Baron has put together an all-star cast. The race-weekend engineer for Forest and Dalziel is Bill Riley, the mastermind behind the most successful Daytona Prototype chassis in GRAND-AM history. The crew chief is Simon Morley, who was a chief mechanic in Formula 1 with Michael Schumacher and also has IndyCar experience. Forest is also really excited to be working with Dalziel, whom he got to know while he was racing in the Atlantic Championship and Dalziel was racing Champ Cars.

"It's great," Forest says. "We're just about the exact same age, with similar backgrounds in open-wheel. He's a phenomenally talented driver, so he's been able to really relate these cars. He's been driving Prototypes in different capacities each season, but he has had experience over five years with these cars. He's been able to give some suggestions and some ways to approach it. Certainly, from a setup standpoint, he's top drawer."

One thing Forest and Dalziel both have in common with other top Daytona Prototype racers -- such as two-time Daytona Prototype champions Jon Fogarty and Alex Gurney and multi-time race-winner Michael Valiante among others -- is they all came up through the Atlantic Championship, which ceased operations earlier this year after a 36-year run. Why have former Atlantic drivers had so much success in Daytona Prototypes?

"I think there are a few ideas why the Atlantic drivers have had success in the Prototypes," Forest explains. "It first and foremost goes to the competitiveness of Atlantics in the last number of years, where the drivers are well trained and they know what it takes to win in a competitive series. That is one of the strong points of GRAND-AM. It is extremely competitive.

"There's also something to be said for the cars with the Prototypes. They are sort of momentum-style cars, where the downforce is a larger factor than the horsepower, so it requires a similar sort of driving as the Atlantic cars did, where you really need to work on the minimum speeds around the corners."

The fact that Forest passed through the Atlantic series comes as no surprise when you look at his family background. His father, Ric, worked in the March chassis factory in England in the late 1960s and worked on the F2 test team for drivers Ronnie Peterson and Chris Amon before returning to his native Canada with a March chassis to race himself in the Formula B championship, which was the precursor to Atlantic.

"He raced against Bobby Rahal and Gilles Villeneuve and some of those guys," says Forest of his father. "That was where the whole racing thing started in my family. My grandpa was running a construction company and had a number of heart attacks, so my dad quit racing and looked after the family construction business for a number of years. When I was about 18, I started twisting his arm wanting to get into cars. We did that at sort of a club level in Alberta and it just grew from there. I went to Western Canada and then the Southwest states."

In the mid-2000s, Ric Forest got involved in the promotion of the Edmonton Grand Prix while his son continued climbing the ladder as a driver. Mike credits his father as being the number one influence on his racing career.

"On the business side of racing, he's been the biggest influence for me," he says. "Not only has he been a huge supporter over the years, but as we're getting up to this top level, with his understanding of the business world, he has been able to help guide me. I certainly know the day-to-day racing side better than him at this point, but he's always been able to understand what a company would want and how we need to maximize their benefit in order to do that. He's certainly been the biggest influence on my career, getting me into it, giving me advice early on how to drive and how to race, and most recently, the business side of racing."

Forest, who moved to Colorado to be with his girlfriend, says they will be moving to either California or his native Canada at some point in the next month. He knows that wherever they go, they will need to make sure the winters are snowy, so their two-year-old Siberian Husky, Blu, can continue his newfound hobby of pulling a sled.

"Just for entertainment's sake, not really for any serious intentions of having him be a sled dog or anything, we hitch him up to a 50-pound sled and make a number of laps around the park," Forest explains. "I run alongside, and we definitely get some funny looks from people. That's as happy as he can be. He is happy that you took him out there and got him to do some work.".........Just like his owner is happy to work in the Rolex Series.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Attendance Up at Grand-Am Events in 2010

Post by mlittle » Wed May 12, 2010 12:48 pm

Fans crowd along pit-lane prior to this year's Bosch Engineering 250 at VIR

----One of the most positive trends through four of 12 races in the 2010 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 season has been the impressive number of fans in attendance at each race.

The two most recent races - the Bosch Engineering 250 at Virginia International Raceway on April 24 and the Porsche 250 at Barber Motorsports Park on April 10 - both had their best Rolex Series crowds ever. It hasn't gone unnoticed.

"I think that some of the initiatives that GRAND-AM started a couple years ago are starting to pay off," says Michael Shank Racing owner Mike Shank, who has fielded a full-time Daytona Prototype team since 2004. "Now it appears that we are seeing real world gains as proof. You could see it from the pit stand at Barber how much bigger the crowd was, and I've never seen as many people at VIR as we had on race day, so there seems to be some momentum. Hopefully, that will continue to grow."

"It really seems like GRAND-AM is gaining some good momentum," adds Dempsey Racing owner/driver Patrick Dempsey. "We've always had nice crowds at Barber and this year's was the best yet since we were there along with the IndyCar Series. It's always fun to race our Mazda RX-8 in front of a big crowd, and I think we will continue to get a fabulous turnout even if we go back there on our own again.

"It's been a few years since I've been to VIR, but it seemed like the crowd was much bigger than it was the last time I was there. Even though VIR is right in the heart of NASCAR country, the fans there are very knowledgeable about sports car racing, which is always good to see."

The crowd at Barber, where GRAND-AM has raced since 2003, was estimated at 25,000. No attendance estimates were available for VIR, but Rod Short, VIR's director of marketing and public relations says, "All the employees tell us, ‘Yes,'" in response to the question of whether or not attendance was up.

Of course, the 2010 season began, as all the others have, with the Rolex 24 At Daytona on January 30-31, and that race had its usual impressive crowd. What might have been even more encouraging, however, was the turnout of hearty race fans for the three-day Roar Before The Rolex 24 test sessions on January 8-10. That weekend saw record low temperatures and even a few very rare Central Florida snowflakes.

"I was really impressed by the number of people who showed up for testing even though it snowed in Daytona that weekend," said Dempsey. "GRAND-AM definitely has a lot of dedicated and passionate fans."

Dempsey was one of many Rolex Series stars to participate in fan forums throughout the Roar Before The Rolex 24 weekend. The fan forums are one of several activities and promotions that GRAND-AM and its host tracks have offered to race fans throughout the 2010 season to enhance their experience beyond the exciting on-track action.

Of course, driver autograph sessions have been a GRAND-AM staple for several years and happen at every race. Newer promotions that have drawn a positive response from fans include ClickIt Photography, where fans get their photos taken for free at the track and can download them later from www.grand-am.com/myphoto ; the GRAND-AM Mobile Fan Zone at each race weekend, which includes full-motion racing simulators and show cars; car corrals and other activities for car clubs; and the pre-race Fan Walk, which allows fans to roam the starting grid just minutes prior to the drop of the green flag.

"One of the tremendous things is the Fan Walk, where people can actually go out there on pit road when the cars are staged and just look and at least think they can kick a tire," Short says. "That's a huge deal. Next year, I want to promote that more than we have. The access in the pits and the Fan Walk means an awful lot to people. We had live music during the thing, too, and that just added to the atmosphere."

Another unique promotion this year came at March's Grand Prix of Miami at Homestead-Miami Speedway, which was hosting its first "standalone" Rolex Series weekend since 2004.

For $40, fans received a ticket and paddock pass for the Grand Prix of Miami, and exclusive group meet-and-greet with Dempsey Racing drivers and an autographed team hero card. For each ticket sold as part of the package, the track also made a $20 donation to the Patrick Dempsey Center for Cancer, Hope & Healing and the Seattle Children's Hospital. "I know the people in Homestead worked very hard to promote the race there and we participated in one of their promotions," Dempsey said. "It seems like they're making good progress there."

All of these activities and promotions, combined with the unparalleled on-track excitement in each Rolex Series and GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge race, now appear to be resonating with race fans. The series continues to work hard on exposing GRAND-AM to newer and larger audiences.

Just last week, several GRAND-AM drivers and teams visited Grand Central Terminal in New York City to promote the upcoming Memorial Day Classic at Lime Rock Park. Track officials passed out flyers for its Grand Central promotion; for $53, people can ride from Grand Central to Wassaic, N.Y., be shuttled to Lime Rock and enjoy the race.

"The volume of people going through Grand Central Terminal is massive, and putting the cars in front of them was productive," said No. 66 driver and Long Island native Andy Lally, who was one of many drivers on the scene. "It was a great idea, and I expect several people we talked to will attend the Lime Rock race." Time will tell if Lally is correct, but if the early-season trends are any indication, it's definitely a good bet.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed May 19, 2010 5:42 am

Grand-Am veteran Leh Keen celebrates his runner-up finish at this year's Nurburgring 24 Hours race

-----NURBURG, Germany - GRAND-AM Road Racing drivers Leh Keen and Shane Lewis each scored class victories in this past weekend's ADAC 24 Hours of Nurburgring, May 14-16, where Keen's No. 43 Hankook Tire/Farnbacher Racing Ferrari F430 GT battled for the overall win before taking runner-up honors in a close, lead-lap finish.

The reigning GT co-Champion and current driver No. 41 Team Seattle/Global Diving/Dempsey Racing Mazda RX-8 GT with James Gué, Keen reunited with friend and former GRAND-AM teammate Dominik Farnbacher, Danish driver Allan Simonsen and Farnbacher's German countryman Marco Seefried. The Ferrari ran in the overall top five for the final 15 hours and was the sole lead-lap challenger to the winning factory BMW M3 in the closing laps of the race. The Farnbacher team crossed the finish line less than four minutes behind the overall winning car and sealed a dominating victory in the SP7 class for big sports cars.

"To be standing on the top-three overall podium at such a famous track along with the winning factory BMW team and the third-place Audi R8 was an incredible feeling," said Keen, who first moved the Ferrari into the top five after his first night stint Saturday evening. "This track is narrow and tricky enough but add just about total darkness to it and it is really wild and unlike any other experience in racing. So, taking all of that into account, it really made me feel like I made a contribution in getting us to fourth in my night run, which was our highest position to that point."

Lewis partnered with fellow GRAND-AM veteran Vic Rice and German Ring specialists Axel Duffner and Karl Pflanz in the No. 70 Team Gotz Motorsport Audi RS 4 for a convincing win in the SP 8T class for big-bore touring cars. Each of the drivers did four stints in the race and they had a trouble-free run to the class win after and early scare.

"In our first stint out there we had a serious fire inside the car," Lewis said. "At the last minute the team installed an indicator light for night identification during pit stops and the 12 volts didn't match whatever they did. About four laps into Vic running there was flames inside the car. It burned a bunch of stuff inside, but he pulled to the side, put the fire out and kept going. He came in and put in me in the car and there was so much fire suppressant, it literally looked like it snowed inside the car. We kept going after that, didn't make any mistakes and just stayed out of trouble to the finish."

A third GRAND-AM class victory seemed possible in the opening first quarter of the race when the No. 179 Drink Florida Orange Juice!/SPEEDCOM Communications/Marcos Racing International BMW 320d of Hal Prewitt, Toto Lassally, Cor Euser and Raymond Coronel easily moved into the lead of the D1T (Diesel 1) class. Coronel ran afoul of a slower car five-and-a-half hours into the race, however, and the team later retired after nearly seven hours of repairs couldn't get the quick BMW back in action.

Prewitt, Lassally and Euser were unable to win consecutive international endurance races after taking diesel class honors in January's 24 Hours of Dubai. The disappointment was doubled as the first-rate crew and BMW 320d race car Euser organized for this year's race were considered the best Prewitt and Lassally have ever had for any endurance race.

"It was a real treat to drive this car," Prewitt said. "It's probably one of the best cars I have ever driven, and I have been in a bunch. It was really a pleasure. I am really disappointed we couldn't go out and run some more even though we didn't really have the possibility of getting back in any kind of contention."

Jim Briody partnered Prewitt, Lassally and Euser in the Dubai victory but ran this past weekend in the No. 155 Mathol Racing Honda Civic Type-R. Briody and his teammates finished seventh in the SP3 class for small sports cars and coupes. Another driver competing at the Nurburgring with GRAND-AM connections was Spencer Trenery, who drove an Audi A4 Quattro in the D3T (Diesel 3) class. His father Bruce Trenery was also entered in a Honda similar to Briody's.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Phillipe to join Starworks at WGI

Post by mlittle » Fri May 21, 2010 2:48 pm

----FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Former Champ car race winner Nelson Philippe will co-drive the No. 7 Flex-Box Starworks Motorsport Dinan-BMW Riley Daytona Prototype at the Sahlen's Six Hours of The Glen at Watkins Glen International Raceway on June 5, co-driving with Bill Lester and Kasper Andersen. It will be Nelson Philippe's first race in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16.

Since 2003, Philippe has been enjoying a very successful early career in Barber Dodge Pro Series, Champ Car, Indy Racing League and the SuperLeague Formula in Europe. At 17, he became the youngest driver to ever race in Champ Car. Between 2004 and 2009 Philippe competed at the highest level of North American open-wheel racing.

In 2006, Philippe won the Champ car race in Surfer's Paradise Australia and at only 19, became the youngest winner in Champ Car World Series history. His last experience in racing was last year during practice for the 2009 Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma. Philippe, who was returning to the Indy Racing League for a few late-season road course races, was the victim of a violent accident and suffered a fractured ankle and concussions.

Nine months after his accident, Nelson is excited about joining Starworks Motorsport at Watkins Glen and making his debut in the GRAND-AM Rolex Series.

"I am very happy to join Starworks Motorsports," Philippe said. "I am super excited about partnering with Bill Lester and Kasper Andersen. I know Bill from seeing him around the paddock and I raced against Kasper in SuperLeague Formula in 2008. They are both brilliant drivers but I am sure my experience in two and a half-hour Champ Car races will help. I will also be ready to learn anything I can from them.

"I feel great since the accident at Sonoma (Infineon Raceway) last year," Philippe continued. "I have been training very hard and I am actually in the best shape of my life. My test at PBIR a few weeks ago was the first time I got back into a racing car since the crash and it felt amazing. I have been karting in Miami to keep my reflexes up and I got really good on the PlayStation while I was in my wheelchair so I know most tracks that I haven't been to yet by heart! After 6 years at the highest level of open wheel racing in the US, I feel ready for a change and I feel GRAND-AM is a place where I can build a career."

Starworks Motorsport team owner Peter Baron is also enthusiastic to sign Philippe. "I am pleased to welcome Nelson Philippe to our team," Baron said. "Originally our paths crossed in 2007 trying to put together an Indy Car program. We were not able to put anything together, but we remained in contact. Our sponsors at Flex-Box and I were chatting about the third driver for the Glen, they brought up Nelson's name. After a chat with Nelson about his desire to make a career in sports car racing, it was an easy decision to put him in.

"I'm very happy that he is going to make his top level sports car racing debut with us," Baron continued. "It's always great to have a Champ Car race winner join your team. I have known Nelson for a few years now and get along quite well with him. I'm pretty excited to put him with his credentials in the car and hopefully get a good result at the Glen." If the Starworks Motorsport racing program works out well, Baron said the plan is to have Philippe run more events this season.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Johnson to race with Gainsco squad for WG 6 Hours

Post by mlittle » Sat May 22, 2010 5:24 am

4-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Jimmie Johnson will join Grand-Am veterans Jon Fogarty and Alex Gurney for the upcoming Sahlen's 6 Hours at the Glen............

-----Four-time reigning NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion Jimmie Johnson will make his second start of the 2010 season with GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing and its team of two-time champion drivers Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty at next month’s Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen. The GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series race takes place June 4–5 on the full 3.4-mile Watkins Glen International (WGI) road course in Watkins Glen, N.Y.

The Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen marks the first time Johnson has made more than one start in a season with the GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing team and just his second time running multiple GRAND-AM Rolex Series races in a year. The Sahlen’s Six Hour will also be Johnson’s first start in any series on the traditional 3.4-mile Grand Prix road course that has played host to some of the greatest racecar drivers of all time since opening in the 1950s. The six-hour sports car race has been an international fixture on The Glen’s annual schedule since 1968.

“I always look forward to racing with Alex, Jon and the GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing team,” said Johnson, who drives the No. 48 Lowe’s Chevy for Hendrick Motorsports in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. “We’ve tried to make some things come together for other races and it’s just never worked out so I’m very excited that we were able to make this happen. I think most people know how much I want to win on a road course and also in a GRAND-AM car. It would be pretty cool if we could pull it off. I know Alex and John have won this race before and I hope we’re able to do it again.”

Johnson co-drove the No. 99 GAINSCO Auto Insurance Chevrolet Riley at the season-opening Rolex 24 At Daytona the last three years, scoring a second-place overall finish with Gurney, Fogarty and Jimmy Vasser in their debut race together in 2008. Team owner Bob Stallings has always looked to expand Johnson’s races with the team beyond the Rolex 24 and the circumstances were right for this year’s Sahlen’s Six Hours. Johnson will compete at both Watkins Glen, which is a Saturday race, and in the Cup race activities at Pocono Raceway on the same weekend.

“The door is always open to Jimmie to race with us at any time, but making that type of scheduling work with his massive NASCAR commitments is easier said than done,” Stallings said. “Happily, it worked out this year and Jimmie is going to travel back and forth between The Glen and Pocono on Friday and Saturday. We are grateful to Jimmie and the Hendrick team for the effort and cooperation, and having three champion drivers in the lineup for the Six-Hour for the first time is going to give us another edge on the competition.”

Johnson has seven career GRAND-AM Rolex Series race starts, all at Daytona International Speedway (DIS), in the top-tier Daytona Prototype division. In addition to the last three Rolex 24 races with GAINSCO, Johnson also drove a Crawford Daytona Prototype in the day-long Daytona race in 2004 and 2005. He did not make any GRAND-AM starts in 2006 but returned in 2007 to compete in both the Rolex 24 and the July sprint race at DIS with the Riley-Matthews Daytona Prototype team. In addition to the Rolex 24 runner-up finish with GAINSCO in 2008, Johnson was also part of the Crawford team’s second-place effort in the 2005 24-hour.

“We are very motivated to win another Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen and for our first race there with Jimmie,” Alex Gurney said. “This isn’t a guest driver situation and never really has been as Jimmie has been a key part of this team since we first raced with him in 2008. I know Jimmie will have no problem getting up to speed, as he has proven that to us each year at Daytona. I think he’ll also really love the Glen long course. Those particular sections in the “The Boot” are some of the best parts of the track and Jimmie should really shine there.”

Gurney and Fogarty won the 2007 Sahlen’s Six Hours in a season of domination that saw GAINSCO capture seven wins in 14 races and the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series Daytona Prototype Team and Driver Championships. The team and drivers scored repeat championships in 2009 despite a rare DNF (Did Not Finish) in the Sahlen’s event when Gurney was punted off course by a competitor. GAINSCO also struggled to an eighth-place finish in the 2008 six-hour race after dealing with late-race engine issues.

“We are ready to get back to our winning form at Watkins Glen and Jimmie is just the guy to help us do that,” Fogarty said. “I say this every time we announce that Jimmie is going to drive with us, but he is a great guy to have around not only as a driver but as a friend and teammate as well. The only bummer is that we will not get to see him as much as we normally do at the Rolex 24 because of his split racing schedule, but that is a small price to pay. It is great to have him back.”

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Busy Period Ahead for Grand-Am Series

Post by mlittle » Thu May 27, 2010 8:15 am

Grand-Am Daytona Prototype points co-leader Scott Pruett will try to his team's 4th-consecutive DP win at Lime Rock on Memorial Day during the Grand-Am New England Grand Prix

----- After four free weekends, Monday's Memorial Day Classic at Lime Rock Park opens up the busiest week of the Rolex Series season. Because only five days later, Saturday's Sahlen's Six Hours of The Glen at Watkins Glen International will take the series to the midway point of the 2010 campaign.

The visit to the scenic Lakeville, Conn., circuit will be a one-day event. Practice begins at 9 a.m. ET, with qualifying at 11:55 a.m. and the green flag waving around 2 p.m. (SPEED, live). With Tuesday as a travel day, teams then head west to Watkins Glen, where the paddock opens Wednesday morning to give participants two days to work on their equipment. Rolex Series practice begins at 9:30 a.m. ET Friday, with qualifying at 2:50 p.m. and evening practice at 6:30 p.m. The race takes the green flag at 2 p.m. Saturday. Live SPEED coverage runs from 2-4 p.m. and 6-8:30 p.m.

The two events will take the 2010 Rolex Series season to the midway point. The second half of the 12-race season opens with the June 19 running of the EMCO Gears Classic at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, followed by the July 3 Brumos Porsche 250 at Daytona International Speedway, the same day as the Coke Zero 400 Powered by Coca-Cola NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

New Sponsors Highlight Grand-Am Growth

Post by mlittle » Sat May 29, 2010 6:46 pm

The No. 6 Ford Riley of Michael Shank Racing has recently secured key sponsorship from Columbus, Ohio-based CAP & Associates........

-----Motorsports analysts typically look at a few different areas when measuring the growth or health of a sanctioning body, such as attendance, television ratings and viewership, car count and sponsorship support. By all measures, GRAND-AM Road Racing is having an outstanding season, underscored by a series of recent sponsorship announcements that reflect the sport's overall strength.

Race attendance has been up at virtually every GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 and GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge race this year, with record crowds reported for each of the last two stops at Barber Motorsports Park and Virginia International Raceway. Television numbers continue to improve for GRAND-AM on its exclusive North American television home, SPEED, which kicks off a run of telecasts on six consecutive weekends with Monday's Rolex Series Memorial Day Classic at Lime Rock Park. Expanding the broadcast reach even further is a new relationship with Motor Racing Network (MRN), which offers live radio broadcasts of every Rolex Series race to all of its affiliates and through www.motorracingnetwork.com, as well as a combination of live and tape-delayed broadcasts on Sirius NASCAR Radio Channel 128.

In terms of car count, the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge has had an eye-popping average of more than 65 cars per race through its four events this year, while the Rolex Series is averaging nearly 35 entries through its first four races. Those positive trends have translated to new sponsorship commitments for GRAND-AM and its teams. GRAND-AM continues to enjoy outstanding support from long-time partners such as Rolex, Crown Royal Cask No. 16 and SunTrust, among many others, and this season, several more high-profile partners have been welcomed.

Late last year, global tire manufacturing giant Continental Tire signed on as the title sponsor of the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge. In January, GRAND-AM and Continental announced an expansion of their partnership beginning in 2011 in which Continental Tire will also become the Rolex Series' official tire. GRAND-AM has also signed several of the world's leading auto manufacturers - such as Ford, Mazda, Porsche, BMW and MINI - to promotional partnership deals, while also beefing up contingency programs and bringing new contingency sponsors onboard for both series.

One of GRAND-AM's newest marketing alliances, with Corsa Car Care, came about through Corsa's existing relationship with the Starworks Motorsports team in the Rolex Series. Based in Arcadia, Calif., Corsa Car Care is a division of Miracle Sealants Company and manufactures professional grade automotive detailing products.

Corsa will begin running advertisements on MRN broadcasts beginning with Monday's race at Lime Rock. Corsa is also advertising on GRAND-AM.com and GRAND-AM newsletters and spotters' guides, and is offering product goodie bags as giveaways in car corrals at the Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio and New Jersey Motorsports Park GRAND-AM events.

Corsa is one of several companies that are working with GRAND-AM teams. Another one is CAP & Associates, which was announced earlier this week as a sponsor of the No. 6 Michael Shank Racing Ford Riley Daytona Prototype in the next two Rolex Series races at Lime Rock and Watkins Glen. The Columbus, Ohio-based CAP & Associates is a designer and manufacturer of fixtures and displays.

"To get the opportunity to be involved with the team like this is something we are very excited about," said Jason Prosnik of CAP & Associates. "We are proud of the work we did in helping Mike (Shank) make his race shop such a memorable place to visit, and it was a great way for us to show our other customers what kind of projects we are capable of delivering.

"With the group he has put together through the years, Mike's team is the kind of organization that we are very proud to be involved with. Hopefully, our involvement will help everyone enjoy some success on the track as well as off of it."

It's expected that Michael Shank Racing will be announcing another new partner in the near future.

Another Daytona Prototype team welcoming a new partner is Canadian-based AIM Autosport, with Pacific Mobile joining its No. 61 Ford Riley effort. Toronto-based Pacific Mobile manufactures affordable and user-friendly mobile accessories, and actively promotes its involvement in the Rolex Series on its website, www.gopacificmobile.com.

One of the leading teams in the Rolex Series GT class, Stevenson Motorsports, also has a new partner in Intersil Corporation of Milpitas, Calif. Intersil is a global technology leader specializing in the design and manufacture of high performance analog semiconductors. Intersil joined existing Stevenson partner VinSolutions, an automotive industry-leading developer of Internet-based customer relations management (CRM) and Internet lead management (ILM) software with offices in Kansas and Minnesota.

All of these team sponsors, and many others, look to GRAND-AM to grow their businesses. These companies utilize their involvement in GRAND-AM to entertain customers and clients, as well as to expose their products and services to a larger audience.

"Everybody involved in GRAND-AM - whether it's our teams, drivers or the sanctioning body itself - has worked diligently to identify and bring in new partners," said GRAND-AM Vice President of Marketing and Communications Kevin Hindson.

"Of course, the only way to get new sponsors and partners to come onboard is to offer them outstanding value for their investment, which is what we've been doing. We're able to offer our partners an opportunity to get involved in a form of motorsports that is clearly growing. We still have a lot of work to do, but we are definitely encouraged on many different levels."

The next event for the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series will be the Memorial Day Classic on May 31 at Lime Rock Park (SPEED live, 2 p.m. ET) in Lakeville, Conn. Tickets are available now at www.limerock.com. A live race broadcast is also available on select MRN affiliates beginning at 1:45 p.m. ET and delayed broadcast on Sirius NASCAR Radio Channel 128.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:17 am

Lime Rock Practice Session 1
DP-1} #99 Gainsco Chevrolet/Riley, 49.082 sec
DP-2} #01 Telmex BMW/Riley, 49.193 sec
DP-3} #90 Spirit of Daytona Porsche/Coyote, 49.359 sec
DP-4} #10 SunTrust Ford/Dallara, 49.437 sec
DP-5} #75 Krohn Aviation Ford/Lola, 49.499 sec

GT-1} #69 FXDD Mazda RX-8, 53.689 sec
GT-2} #30 Racers' Edge Mazda RX-8, 53.716 sec
GT-3} #41 Team Seattle Mazda RX-8, 53.786 sec
GT-4} #70 SpeedSource Mazda RX-8, 53.870 sec
GT-5} #68 SpeedSource Mazda RX-8, 54.084 sec

Lime Rock Practice Session 2
DP-1} #90 Spirit of Daytona Porsche/Coyote, 49.134 sec
DP-2} #75 Krohn Aviation Ford/Lola, 49.308 sec
DP-3} #8 Corsa Car Care BMW/Riley, 49.771 sec
DP-4} #77 McDonald's Ford/Dallara, 49.877 sec
DP-5} #01 Telmex BMW/Riley, 49.904 sec

GT-1} #30 Racers' Edge Mazda RX-8, 53.954 sec
GT-2} #68 SpeedSource Mazda RX-8, 54.035 sec
GT-3} #69 FXDD Mazda RX-8, 54.107 sec
GT-4} #07 Banner Racing Corvette C-6R, 54.211 sec
GT-5} #41 Team Seattle Mazda RX-8, 54.425 sec

Lime Rock Practice Session 3
DP-1} #7 Flex-Box BMW/Riley, 49.773 sec
DP-2} #77 McDonald's Ford/Dallara, 49.912 sec
DP-3} #8 Corsa Car Care BMW/Riley, 50.664 sec
DP-4} #60 Crown Royal XR Ford/Riley, 50.778 sec
DP-5} #75 Krohn Aviation Ford/Lola, 51.234 sec

GT-1} #28 LG Motorsports Corvette C-6R, 54.501 sec
GT-2} #30 Racers' Edge Mazda RX-8, 54.504 sec
GT-3} #97 BryanMark Financial Camaro GT-R, 54.971 sec
GT-4} #69 FXDD Mazda RX-8, 55.171 sec
GT-5} #94 Turner Motorsports BMW M6, 55.952 sec

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:22 am

Lime Rock Qualifying
DP-1} #75 Krohn Aviation Ford/Lola, 48.786 sec
DP-2} #90 Spirit of Daytona Porsche/Coyote, 48.787 sec
DP-3} #10 SunTrust Ford/Dallara, 49.049 sec
DP-4} #99 Gainsco Chevrolet/Riley, 49.123 sec
DP-5} #01 Telmex BMW/Riley, 49.320 sec

GT-1} #30 Racers' Edge Mazda RX-8, 53.315 sec
GT-2} #68 SpeedSource Mazda RX-8, 53.468 sec
GT-3} #41 Team Seattle Mazda RX-8, 53.628 sec
GT-4} #70 SpeedSource Mazda RX-8, 53.827 sec
GT-5} #07 Banner Racing Corvette C-6R, 53.828 sec