Discuss all the other types of Motorsport

Moderator: Ed

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

2010 American LeMans Series Thread

Post by mlittle » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:14 am

-------2010 American LeMans Series Schedule

~~17-20 March 2010} 58th Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring, Sebring International Raceway
~~16-17 April 2010} Long Beach Grand Prix, Streets of Long Beach
~~20-22 May 2010} 6 Hours of Monterey, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
~~9-11 July 2010} Larry H. Miller Utah Grand Prix, Miller Motorsports Park
~~23-24 July 2010} New England Grand Prix, Lime Rock Park
~~5-7 August 2010} Grand Prix of Mid-Ohio, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
~~20-22 August 2010} Time Warner Cable Wisconsin Grand Prix, Road America
~~27-29 August 2010} Mobil 1 Grand Prix of Mosport, Mosport International Raceway
~~29 Sept.-2 October 2010} 13th Petit Le Mans, Road Atlanta
note......schedule event distances as follows..........
---Sebring, 12 Hours
---Long Beach, 1:40
---Monterey, 6 hours
---Utah, 2:45
---Lime Rock, 2:45
---Mid-Ohio, 2:45
---Road America, 2:45
---Mosport, 2:45
---Road Atlanta, 10 hrs OR 1000 miles
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Aston Martin Racing Headed to Sebring

Post by mlittle » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:18 am

Adrian Fernandez and Aston Martin Racing vaulted into the list of favorites to win the 58th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida with the Mexican star joining forces with the UK’s premier endurance team for America’s greatest sports car race. The partnership, announced Monday, will see Fernandez drive a works Aston Martin-powered Lola prototype at Sebring, Long Beach and Le Mans in 2010 with the team looking at additional races worldwide following the 24 Hours.

Sebring will mark the first time a prototype with an Aston Martin V12 engine has competed in the American Le Mans Series. The marque has a rich heritage in endurance racing including a victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1959. Its main concentration has been on GT cars since 2005 when it re-entering the sport but returned to prototypes at the factory level in 2009.

Fernandez, an official Aston Martin works driver for 2010, won the American Le Mans Series’ 2009 LMP2 championship with teammate Luis Diaz. The two won eight times in Lowe’s Fernandez Racing’s Acura ARX-01b, and Fernandez claimed three pole positions and four fastest race laps.

“This is another fantastic development to America’s most demanding sports car race,” said Scott Atherton, President and CEO of the American Le Mans Series. “The return of Adrian Fernandez and his hard-charging style is tremendous and certainly newsworthy by itself. Adding Aston Martin Racing - one of the truly iconic brands of sports car racing - to the event with one of its closed-top LMP1 Lola prototypes only adds to the anticipation we and the rest of the sports car world have for the start of the 2010 season. This is yet another reason why 58th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida will be a monumental battle in all four classes.”

In addition to his success in the American Le Mans Series, Fernandez’s open-wheel career included three victories in the Indy Racing League and a 13-year stint in American open-wheel racing.

“We are looking forward to a great season of racing and we hope to have another strong showing at Le Mans,” AMR team principal George Howard-Chappell said. “I’d like to welcome Adrian to the team, I’m sure with his experience he will be a great addition to our driver lineup."

Aston Martin was the first major international factory team to enter Sebring in 1953. It finished second place overall (and won its class) that year in the 12 Hours with Reg Parnell and George Abecassis driving a DB3. Aston Martin DB3S finished fourth overall and won class in 1956 with Carroll Shelby and Roy Salvadori driving.

Aston Martin won at Le Mans three years later with its DBR1. It returned to Sebring with a GT1 victory in 2005, 49 years after its previous Sebring win. The British manufacturer, wildly popular with its UK base, also was the GT1 champion at Le Mans in 2007 and 2008 with its DBR9.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Entry List for Winter Test Released

Post by mlittle » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:54 am

ALMS officials earlier today released their "Wheels Down Winter Test" entry list today; 27 cars are expected to take to the track at Sebring for the late February test. Unlike most seasons, the ALMS grid will look different with the following classes on-track...............

~~~LMP-1(LeMans Prototype-1) class
~~~LMP-2(LeMans Prototype-2) class
~~~GT(Grand Touring) class
~~~LMPC(LeMans Prototype Challenge) class
~~~GTC(Grand Touring Challenge) class

note......With the exception of both the 12 Hours of Sebring and the Petit Le Mans, LMP-1/LMP-2 will run as one LMP class

----OFFICIAL 2010 WHEELS DOWN WINTER TEST ENTRY LIST
(LMP-1)#37 Intersport Racing Lola B06-10/AER[C. Field, J. Field]
(LMP-1)#009 Aston Martin Racing Lola B09-60/AM[A. Fernandez, C. Buncombe, H. Primat, S. Mucke]
(LMP-2)#1 Patron Highcroft Racing Acura ARX-01c[D. Brabham, S. Pagenaud, M. Franchitti]
(LMP-2)#6 Team Cytosport Porsche RS Spyder[G. Pickett, K. Graf]
(LMP-2)#9 Dyson Racing Lola B09-60/Mazda[C. Dyson, G. Smith]
(GT)#17 Team Falken Tire Porsche 911 RSR[B. Sellers, W. Henzler]
(GT)#33 Rocketsports Jaguar XKRS[P. Gentilozzi, M. Goosens, S. Pruett, T. Drissi]
(GT)#40 Robertson Racing Ford Doran GT[A. Robertson, D. Robertson, D. Murry]
(GT)#44 and #45 Flying Lizard Porsche 911 RSR[drivers tbd]
(GT)#54 Black Swan Racing Porsche 911 RSR[T. Pappas, J. Bleekemolen]
(GT)#62 Risi Competzione Ferrari 430GT[J. Melo]
(GT)#90 and #92 Rahal-Letterman Racing BMW E92/M3[drivers tbd]
(GT)#01 Extreme Speed Mtrspts. Ferrari 430GT[S. Sharp, J. van Overbeek]
(GT)#02 Extreme Speed Mtrspts. Ferrari 430GT[E. Brown, G. Cosmo]
(LMPC)#11 Primetime Racing Oreca FLM-09[J. Feinberg, K. Marcelli]
(LMPC)#36 Genoa Racing Oreca FLM-09[drivers tbd]
(LMPC)#55 Level 5 Mtrspts. Oreca FLM-09[S. Tucker, C. Bouchut]
(LMPC)#89 Intersport Racing Oreca FLM-09[M. Pagerey, B. Wong]
(LMPC)#99 Green Earth/Team Gunnar Oreca FLM-09[G. Jeannette, C. Zugel, E. Julian]
(GTC)#32 GMG Racing Porsche 911 RSR[B. Curtis, J. Sofronas]
(GTC)#33 Kelly Moss Racing Porsche 911 RSR[P. LaSaffre]
(GTC)#65 Kelly Moss Racing Porsche 911 RSR[drivers tbd]
(GTC)#69 P7 Racing Porsche 911 RSR[R. Rodriquez, G. Bieker]
(GTC)#44 GMG Racing Porsche 911 RSR[B. Holden]
(GTC)#92 Kelly Moss Racing Porsche 911 RSR[D. Carlisle]

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Team CytoSport to compete in LMP class in 2010

Post by mlittle » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:10 am

Benicia, CA (February 15, 2009) - The Team CytoSport Muscle Milk squad is set to return to the American Le Mans Series this year - this time for a full season championship assault.

The #6 Muscle Milk Porsche RS Spyder will contest the new combined LMP class with owner/driver Greg Pickett and German star Klaus Graf behind the wheel.

Team CytoSport is moving up to a full season of competition following a very successful partial season. The Benicia, California-based team claimed four consecutive LMP2 podium finishes in its four races in 2009. After competing in the LMP2 class last season, the Muscle Milk team will be joining the new combined LMP class for the 2010 Championship. The major endurance events at Sebring and Petit Le Mans will continue to be run to the full ACO LMP1 and LMP2 rules.

"We're really excited to be taking on our first full season of ALMS competition. I'm so proud of what we've accomplished with our team so far and it's very encouraging for us heading into 2010. We know that it will be a new challenge for us in the combined LMP class but it's one we can't wait to face," expressed team owner Greg Pickett.

"I look forward to having Klaus (Graf) drive for us again. He had such amazing performances last season. It's an honor to have him on the team and as part of the CytoSport family. Obviously this wouldn't be possible without the support from the people at Porsche who were so great to work with last season as well as everyone at Michelin who have given us superb tires at every race. We're thrilled to be working with them again this upcoming season."

Having originally driven together in the ALMS in 2007 Pickett and Graf are eagerly awaiting the chance to contest the complete season. The German impressed many last year with his outstanding performances aboard the Porsche RS Spyder, notably by setting an LMP2 race lap record at Road Atlanta as well as making his way through the field and to an in-class podium finish at the historic Petit Le Mans.

"I'm really looking forward to the 2010 ALMS season to compete with the Porsche RS Spyder and Team Cytosport," Graf said. "After our successful start in 2009 with four podium finishes in four races you would think this would be a natural progression to compete again in 2010. But I know that a program like ours requires a big commitment from all parties involved. I'd like to thank Greg Pickett and everyone involved at Team CytoSport and Muscle Milk who made this happen. To go into our first full season of competition with our Porsche RS Spyder is a tremendous achievement for our team and we look forward to that challenge. I can't wait for our first race of the year, the famous 12 Hours of Sebring. Finally, coming from Germany it personally makes me proud to be involved in such a prestigious partnership with Porsche Motorsport. We built a great relationship with our partners Porsche and Michelin in 2009 and we hope we can transform that into great race results this season."

Once again this season the Team CytoSport Muscle Milk squad will benefit from the support and expertise of the professionals at Porsche Motorsport. "We are very excited that Team CytoSport will be back for a full season in 2010 in the Porsche RS Spyder LMP car. Last year, Greg Pickett and his crew surprised most of the LMP2 competitors with their success right out of the box, and Pickett and co-driver Klaus Graf were comfortable in the Porsche prototype from the first test. Porsche Motorsport is extremely happy to have such a great squad as Team CystoSport representing the Porsche brand in a Prototype next season" said Paul Ritchie, president of Porsche Motorsport North America.

Team CytoSport Muscle Milk's 2010 season gets underway with the 58th running of the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida from March 17-20 at Sebring International Raceway. Prior to the start of the season, the Muscle Milk squad will be on track next week at Sebring to take part in the annual American Le Mans Series Winter Test scheduled for February 22-23.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Pirro to compete w/Drayson Racing in 2010

Post by mlittle » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:34 pm

......the former Audi works driver will compete in selected races with the rising Drayson Racing squad in 2010

~~~Emanuele Pirro was a longtime key driver for the Audi Le Mans works effort, including the marque's American Le Mans Series campaign and the earlier development years of the Audi R8. When Audi built the first diesel-powered LMP1, it was an emotional goodbye when Pirro had to say farewell to the R8 which he referred as "having a mistress or better to say like a second wife". In 2000, he and the R8 won their first of three 24 Hours of Le Mans races, alongside, of course, his teammates.

This year he will run three events with Drayson Racing. "I am looking forward to driving with Lord Drayson and with Jonny Cocker, a true young talent. I am really looking forward to racing again in Sebring, Le Mans and Petit and meeting again the many fans that have been supporting me so much in the past years. I would also like to thank Audi for giving me the permission to drive for Drayson Racing," said Pirro.

The twice ALMS LMP1 champion and winner of five 24 Hours of Le Mans races is still an Audi factory driver. Back in 2006 he helped make history when Audi took the first victory at Le Mans with a diesel engine. His last race on the La Sarthe circuit with Audi was in 2008. The popular Italian stated that he was given approval by Audi to take a new step for the 2010 season with Lord Drayson's team.

He now marks his return to the cockpit of an LMP1 but this time to lend his expertise and talent to Drayson Racing. "When I received the offer from Drayson Racing it didn't take long to realise that it was a great opportunity. I met Paul Drayson during the ALMS season [in 2008]. First I was attracted by his life story, rather unusual for a racing driver, then I found a very interesting person with whom I share a lot of things and thoughts not only concerning the motor racing world," Pirro said.

Lord Paul Drayson and his full-season co-driver Jonny Crocker broke in the team's new Lola Coupe last year in the Petit Le Mans rainy event at Road Atlanta in preparation for a full season campaign in 2010. Drayson wants to win, a goal he has never kept secret, even when running in the LMGT2 class; however, a key for the team is utilizing "green" in their efforts.

The Lola Coupe, powered by Judd, will have the Italian in the cockpit at the Twelve Hours of Sebring prior to the June classic in Le Mans, France. Pirro will return with the team for the Petit Le Mans. His first time in the car will be in an upcoming test.

.......Drayson Racing's Lola/Judd coupe at Road Atlanta during the water-logged 2009 Petit LeMans

"It's just brilliant news! I am really excited about this," Drayson said. "I met Emanuele during the 2008 ALMS championship and we got on really well from the start, particularly when swapping flying stories. I am just delighted to be racing with him this year. He is such a world class talent and such a nice guy; pre-race driver briefings were never the same without Emanuele! Most of all though, his huge experience and positive personality will lift the whole expectation and performance of the team."

Pirro knows the former airfield -- Sebring International Raceway -- and has two overall victories at the circuit. His return for the fans will start on March 16th with the race on the 20th in the ALMS season opener at Sebring, Florida. The season ender at Petit in October will be at another venue he has notched overall victories, three of them at the Georgia track.

Team co-owner Drayson commented: "Emanuele is one of the world's most successful Le Mans prototype racers and we are very grateful to Audi for allowing him to race with us this year. It's a major coup for the team. His unique combination of talent, speed, experience and charm will be a huge asset."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Wheels Down Winter Test Monday News & Notes

Post by mlittle » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:06 pm

Today marked the first day of the 2-day Open Test at Sebring for the American LeMans Series in 2010 and there was plenty of news on and off-track................

----Intersport to Produce CBS Broadcasts
-----The American Le Mans Series is taking its television platform to the next level by way of an agreement with Emmy Award-winning Chicago based Intersport which will serve as the production partner for the Series’ two CBS Sports broadcasts in 2010. The Chicago-based media and marketing giant gives the American Le Mans Series a premium partner for two of its showcase events in 2010.

Working alongside the American Le Mans Series, Intersport will use its creative and innovative approach to create two 90-minute ‘docu-drama / lifestyle / feature type’ television programs based on Series’ events at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in May and Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in August. Coupled with track action, interviews and other timely content from each race, Intersport will inject revealing, behind-the-scenes look at the American Le Mans Series as well as explaining the science, technology and a historical perspective of road racing.

“This is admittedly a very bold step for us to take, but I believe it also represents a tremendous opportunity for the American Le Mans Series and all our stakeholders,” said Scott Atherton, President & CEO of the American Le Mans Series. “Intersport has established a reputation for creating innovative media content that gets results. It also has set the benchmark for creativity in generating a ‘buzz’ around its projects that makes people want to watch. We could not be more pleased to be working with them on these new television and social media initiatives.”

Intersport is a name familiar to fans of the American Le Mans Series and sports car racing around the world. It produced the highly acclaimed “Truth in 24” documentary in 2008, an award-winning film that chronicled Audi Sport’s quest for a fifth consecutive victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

----SERIES ADDS YANCEY’S FANCY PARTNERSHIP
-----The American Le Mans Series today announced at its Sebring Winter Test that Yancey’s Fancy has become the official cheese of the world’s premier professional sports car circuit. The largest producer of cheese curd on the East Coast will partner with the Series for activation opportunities that will include special events, at-track presence and promotions that will include the introduction of new and exciting brands.

“It continues to be gratifying that non-endemic corporations understand that the American Le Mans Series offers a unique opportunity and return on investment,” Atherton said. “The ability to activate and offer Yancey’s Fancy brands to our constituents and fans who not only demonstrate an intense loyalty to the Series but represent an extremely favorable audience for our new partner creates a perfect scenario for both parties.”

Yancey’s Fancy activation plans include using the American Le Mans Series logo on signage at promotional events nationwide, with point-of-sale opportunities in sales promotions with customers in existing Series’ race markets, for regional and national tasting events and on select Yancey’s merchandise, the corporate website, and press releases.
Scott Atherton: "“It continues to be gratifying that non-endemic corporations understand that the American Le Mans Series offers a unique opportunity and return on investment."

----PEUGEOT CONFIRMS TWO RACE ENTRIES
-----After winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans and Petit Le Mans in 2009, Peugeot will again enter two cars for this year’s Sebring race. Peugeot Sport confirmed Monday its entry with two diesel-powered factory Peugeot 908 HDi FAPs. It will mark the third straight year that Peugeot has contested the Sebring classic in central Florida.

Anthony Davidson, Marc Gené and Alexander Wurz – the latter two drivers part of the winning Peugeot with David Brabham at Le Mans last year – will share one Peugeot 908 at Sebring. Sebastien Bourdais, Pedro Lamy and Nic Minassian will drive the second car.
Peugeot set its lineup for a two-car attack at Sebring next month.

----DYSON BRINGS MEYRICK ABOARD
-----British racer Andy Meyrick will be joining Chris Dyson and Guy Smith in the No. 16 LMP2 Mazda Lola Coupe for the three 2010 American Le Mans Series long-distance races.

Starting with the season-opening Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida on March 20, Meyrick will also partner in the six-hour American Le Mans Series Monterey presented by Patrón on May 22nd, the season-closing 1,000 mile Petit Le Mans on October 2 and may join the team at additional tests throughout the season.

“Andy’s talent and determination came through very strongly at our two winter tests. He impressed us greatly with his speed, maturity and general approach to the team. It was a very good fit straight away,” noted Chris Dyson, Vice President and Sporting Director. “We won the Petit Le Mans last year and the team looks forward to having Andy on board for all three of this season’s endurance races. We welcome him to American sports car racing and expect he will showcase his talent quickly. It will not take long for the fans to see what we saw when he first got behind the wheel."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

AMR Fastest Monday at Sebring

Post by mlittle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:53 am

-----From MO, 22 Feb. 2010

~~~It didn’t take long for Adrian Fernandez and Aston Martin Racing to find their comfort zone at Sebring International Raceway. The exquisite Aston Martin-powered Lola coupe was the quickest car on the first day of the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón’s annual Winter Test at Sebring. The two-day test is a warmup for the Series’ 2010 opener, the 58th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida.

The screaming V12-powered Lola-Aston Martin prototype turned a best lap of 1:47.826 (123.532 mph) in the day’s first four-hour session. Fernandez, last year’s LMP2 winner at Sebring, got his first taste of driving the Aston Martin Racing factory car. He is driving with Harold Primat and Stefan Mücke.

Interestingly, the three quickest cars all set their fastest times of the day in the four-hour morning session. Another Lola – Intersport Racing’s AER-powered Lola B06/10 was second fastest on the day at 1:48.066 (123.258 mph). The father-son duo of Jon and Clint Field handled most of the driving.

Patrón Highcroft Racing, last year’s LMP1 champion, sat third with a best lap of 1:48.263 (123.034 mph) with its HPD ARX-01c prototype. David Brabham – a former Sebring class winner – is driving with new teammate Simon Pagenaud and Marino Franchitti.

The Patrón Highcroft entry was the quickest LMP2 car, followed by Team Cytosport’s Porsche RS Spyder – driven by Greg Pickett, Klaus Graf and Sascha Maassen – at 1:49.187 (121.993 mph). Dyson Racing’s Mazda-powered Lola B10/86 coupe was third at 1:50.261 (120.804 mph). Team regulars Chris Dyson and Guy Smith drove the car with newcomer Andy Meyrick.

Green Earth Team Gunnar was the quickest of the new Le Mans Prototype Challenge teams at 1:57.131 (113.285 mph)with Gunner Jeannette, Christian Zugel and Elton Julian driving. Each LMPC team has entered an ORECA FLM09 prototype that will race for the first time in North America this year. Genoa Racing was second in class with sports car legend Andy Wallace shaking down the car. The Genoa entry’s best time was a 1:57.580 (113.285 mph), nearly a full 0.7 seconds quicker than Primetime Race Group’s entry of Joel Feinberg and Kyle Marcelli.

In GT2, Risi Competizione’s pairing of Jaime Melo and Gianmaria Bruni went quickest in their Ferrari F430 GT. The Risi squad, which hasn’t lost an endurance race since Sebring 2008, posted a best time of 2:02.286 (108.925 mph). The top three were within a second of each other. One of BMW Rahal Letterman Racing’s BMW M3s – the car of Bill Auberlen and Tommy Milner – was second with Flying Lizard Motorsports’ Porsche 911 GT3 RSR of defending class champions Jörg Bergmeister and Patrick Long third.

In the GT Challenge class, Darrell Carlisle was the quickest driver with a lap of 2:07.902 (104.142 mph) for Kelly Moss racing. Teammate Peter LeSaffre was less than 0.6 seconds back and just ahead of GMG Racing’s Brent Holden.

~~~~Quotes from Monday's Test Sessions............
Adrian Fernandez, Aston Martin Racing
Lola-Aston Martin B09/86 (LMP1)
I’m very happy; you know it’s a very, very professional team. I’m very happy to be able to extend my career in such a professional team and a brand that has so much history and charisma with the fans. I’m very happy to be here. It’s very different. Everything looks different inside. You get use to it. But it’s definitely different, and this is my first time in the car and the car is a lot heavier than the P2 car I drove last year. But it’s a lot faster. It sounds beautiful and looks sharp. I’m enjoying every second of it. I’m very happy. It’s a great team, great drivers, and I’m very happy to work with them. It’s my very first time in the car, I’m not really going the proper speed yet. But I’m working step-by-step, so I’m looking forward to the three-year relationship. The last race was Laguna Seca, so it’s been a while since I last tested. I feel good. I’ve been training hard the last month to make sure I’m fit for the test and so far I’m feeling good.
Shane Lewis, Velox Motorsports
Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (GTC)
I think (the GTC Challenge class) is a great concept by the American Le Mans Series. It’s really - what in our times where we’re at with the series - it’s exactly what the series needs. We’re a little bit concerned about the brakes for the 12 Hours. We’re not too sure if a Cup car can compete with the other ones. But all in all, I can do nothing but congratulate ALMS on the concept of the class, and I just can’t wait to get out there and compete in the 12 Hours. I love winter testing. I’m Floridian so I only live a couple hours away. For me it’s great. A lot of the crew, they’re from Canada and Ohio so they came from everywhere where there is massive amounts of snow. So I think they are happier than I am. It’s a great way to shake all the stuff down and get everything ready.
Greg Pickett, Team Cytosport
Porsche RS Spyder (LMP2)
Sebring is notoriously difficult, as everyone knows. We came down here and tested a couple weeks ago. It’s all about getting the car to work over the bumps. It’s very difficult. Other than Le Mans, which we ran a couple of years ago, this is the next most difficult race we’ll run – much more than even a race like Petit Le Mans. This surface is so challenging.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Tuesday News & Notes from Sebring

Post by mlittle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:25 pm

As the sun begins to set on the 2010 Wheels Down Winter Test at Sebring, here are some of the highlights from Tuesday's action...........

----ATHERTON: 2010 SEASON WILL DELIVER
American Le Mans Series President and CEO Scott Atherton wishes he had more fingers. As he begins to count all the positive and progressive things that have happened during the offseason, he runs out of digits quickly. The toes may be next. As the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón rolls into its 12th season March 20 with the 58th running of the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida in a few weeks, Atherton’s enthusiasm is evident.

“I know that according to the pundits, this season is not supposed to give much indication that things are turning around yet,” Atherton said during Media Day at the Series’ annual Winter Test at Sebring International Raceway, “but sometimes the pundits are wrong – at least when it comes to the American Le Mans Series.”

Atherton began his address to the media at the annual Sebring Winter Test with an emphasis on the record number cars, 28, attending the test. Later in the evening, he helped introduce Tequila Patrón as the presenting sponsor of the world’s leading sports car racing championship. “This bodes well for the 12 Hours,” said Atherton, who predicted a field of 35-plus cars for the season opener. Last year’s field was 26.

----NEW CLASS STRUCTURE
One factor in the Series’ rising popularity and car counts was its ability to incorporate the desires of fans and competitors in combining the prototype and GT classes while at the same time creating two “Challenge” classes in each group to develop the talented pool of new, up-and-coming drivers and teams. The GT Challenge class was actually instituted mid-season last year at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah. Cars competing in that class, which is currently comprised of Porsche 911 GT3 Cup cars but will eventually involve other marquees and manufacturers, will run the full race schedule in 2010. The LMP Challenge class will be comprised of at least a half dozen ORECA-Courage FLM09 prototypes. These cars debuted last year as support events for the Le Mans Series in Europe and the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

----CONTENT IS KING
Among the new full-season entries for 2010 is the two-car Ferrari F430 GT team of Scott Sharp’s Extreme Speed Motorsports. Sharp has persuaded long-time Flying Lizard Motorsports driver Johannes van Overbeek to be his seatmate, while Ed Brown and Guy Cosmo fill car number two.

Veteran Paul Gentilozzi launches Jaugar’s first full-time sports car effort in more than 15 years with a Jaguar XKRS for his JaguarRSR team. He and Marc Goossens will drive the full season with appearances by the likes of Scott Pruett, Tomy Drissi and Ryan Dalziel throughout the year.

Black Swan Racing returns under the direction of environmental developer Tim Pappas, who will campaign a Porsche 911 GT3 RSR with former Porsche Supercup champion and past Le Mans 24 Hours LMP2 winner Jeroen Bleekemolen of Monaco. The Black Swan entry is one of four Porsches expected to grace the Sebring GT2 grid. Also among them is Team Falken Tire’s entry, which will compete for the full season with Wolf Henzler and Bryan Sellers driving.

In LMP, Lord Drayson returns for a full-season effort with teammate Jonny Cocker in a new Lola-Judd coupe. The Drayson-Cocker partnership competed in the full 2008 season and entered its new closed-cockpit prototype in the final two rounds of 2009. Five-time Le Mans champion and former Audi factory pilot Emanuele Pirro will join them for the endurance races at Sebring, Monterey and Petit Le Mans as well as the 24 Hours of Le Mans to which the team has been invited. Drayson is Great Britain’s Minister of Science and Innovation and a worldwide voice on environmental and sustainable energy issues.

Atherton also pointed out that several international heavyweights will appear periodically on the American Le Mans Series grid this year, beginning with Sebring.

Peugeot, winner last year at both the 24 Hours of Le Mans and Petit Le Mans, announced Monday a two-car factory effort for the season opener. Meanwhile Aston Martin Racing, with last year’s LMP2 champion Adrian Fernandez, will race early in the season at both Sebring and Long Beach as it prepares to tackle the formidable Peugeots and Audis at Le Mans in June. Both, as well as other international teams, could return for Road Atlanta’s Petit Le Mans, one of the three events in the ACO’s inaugural Intercontinental Cup comprised of one marquee endurance race in Europe, North America and Asia.

The enthusiasm for 2010 does not rest only in new teams, classes and drivers, however. Defending LMP1 champion Patrón Highcroft Racing will be among the favorites in the newly combined LMP class. David Brabham returns for Highcroft with new teammates Simon Pagenaud, who drove with Gil de Ferran last year, and Marino Franchitti. Dyson Racing, equipped with its Mazda-powered Lola coupe along with the Porsche RS Spyder of Team Cytosport – making its first full-season run – will also battle among the prototypes. Stellar independents Intersport Racing with Jon and Clint Field and Autocon Motorsports – bound for Le Mans in June – will also give chase.

Meanwhile, the GT class is expected to see a season-long battle for the ages with three Porsche teams headed by defending champion Flying Lizard Motorsports, a two-car effort from BMW Rahal Letterman Racing Team, the formidable Risi Ferrari team, Robertson Racing and Corvette Racing –the most successful team in American Le Mans Series history – vying for podiums all season long in addition to the aforementioned Extreme Speed Ferraris and JaguarRSR. “This is the strongest GT class we have ever had,” said Atherton.

----GROWTH IN CORPORATE PARTNERS
Among the most rewarding developments for Atherton and the Series has been the influx of new corporate partners. The Series announced Tequila Patrón of the Patrón Spirits Company as its presenting sponsor at a lavish reception Monday night, while earlier in the day declaring Yancey’s Fancy Cheese as its official cheese. Both partners plan aggressive in-market activation around all events in 2010. Atherton said several others would likely be announced within the next several weeks.

“There is nothing that sustains and builds a motorsports series better than great content and great corporate partners,” said Atherton. “We have taken a significant step forward in both those areas and I am confident that 2010 is going to be a very good year for the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patron.”

----GLOBAL LEADER GREEN RACING
Another area that has made the American Le Mans Series distinct is its position as the Global Leader in Green Racing. The Series introduced its first alternative fuel in 2006 – coincidentally at Sebring – with the diesel-powered Audi R10 TDI and has added a new alternative energy or powertrains every year since. In 2008, the U.S. Department of Energy and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency along with SAE International declared the American Le Mans Series the only motorsports series to meet its green racing protocols. The government agencies then created an end-of-season Green Challenge™ award to go to manufacturers whose efforts exhibited the most fuel efficiency, least environment impact and best overall performance for the year among prototypes and GT cars.

Last year, Michelin created an ancillary award, the MICHELIN® GREEN X® Challenge given to teams each race with a season-ending award to the top prototype and GT team. Acura and Porsche won the DOE-EPA Green Challenge™ manufacturer award while Lowe’s Fernandez Racing and Flying Lizard Motorsports took home the respective MICHELIN® GREEN X® Challenge awards.

“Auto manufacturers and our government leaders confirm that racing series which provide opportunities to showcase and develop new consumer technologies – with an emphasis on the environment – are the future,” said Atherton. “We have never been more confident in our position and look forward to expanding our green racing initiatives to better serve the teams and manufacturers competing with us. We are ideally positioned to take advantage of and benefit from the current and future focus of manufacturers’ innovations in sustainable energies.”

----GROWING TELEVISION PRODUCT AND FAN BASE
The 2010 season is not only about increased car counts, new partners and solidifying its role as the Global Leader in Green Racing. The Series averaged nearly 80,000 fans per race event last year while taking its television product to more than 600 million homes worldwide. This season, it plans to include live streaming of all SPEED qualifying and introduced an innovative programming concept for its two CBS telecasts of races at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and Mid-Ohio.

Intersport, a seven-time Emmy award-winning production company best known recently for the film “Truth in 24” that it co-produced with NFL Films, will produce two 90-minute shows for each of the CBS races, focusing on the stories behind and within the race as well as the battles that eventually produce the race champions. “You will see the American Le Mans Series as you have not seen it before,” predicted Atherton. “And it will be good … very good.”

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Aston Martin Racing Dominates Tuesday at Sebring............

Post by mlittle » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:15 pm

(from TU, 23 Feb. 2010)

~~~Aston Martin Racing swept all four practice sessions over the two days of the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patron Winter Test at the historic Sebring International Raceway. The team will compete at the 58th Annual Twelve Hours of Sebring in just three weeks. The LMP1 No. 009 Lola B09/60 Aston Martin ended with a fast time of 1:46.894 (124.609 mph), set this morning.

Unfortunately the British team will be making repairs to their prototype after an heavy slam into the wall in the first turn on the 3.7-mile circuit. The early reports indicated that the tub was intact, which is always good news for the driver sitting in the cockpit. Harold Primat was transferred to a local hospital for observation. The Swiss racer was released this evening.

The team had four drivers at the Winter Test as they prepare for their first race of the year: Primat, Stefan Mucke, Chris Buncombe and the 2009 co-driver LMP2 champion Adrian Fernandez. They will stay on this side of the pond to contest the Grand Prix of Long Beach race in April. Fernandez will remain with the team for the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June.

Intersport Racing ended their practice-test runs with a fast lap of 1:47.925 (123.419 mph), 1.031 seconds off the pace of their P1 rivals for the March 20th top step of the podium. Running their Lola B06/10 No. 37 with AER power, Jon Field and his son Clint Field sat their best time this afternoon in the final session.

American Le Mans Series 2009 LMP1 champion team have made changes to their former Acura, now listed as a Honda Performance Development (HPD) ARX-01c will contest Sebring and Petit Le Mans in the LMP2 class. Duncan Dayton's Highcroft Racing team has other changes for the 2010 season with their co-driver champion leaving the prototype cockpit to take on his own team, Extreme Speed Motorsports in LMGT2.

David Brabham, co-driver champion in LMP1, has a new teammate who actually was on the rival team last year. Simon Pagenaud already is familiar with the HPD car and easily stepped into his new job. The team's third driver is Marino Franchitti. All three drivers took time in the car over the two days. Their best time this morning stood them on top of the P2 class times with a 148.153 (123.159 mph).

Dyson Racing also had a change -- moving from two cars to only one -- with Guy Smith and Chris Dyson challenging for the title this season in the Lola B09/86 Mazda. The duo, like many of the teams, was running on the old airfield track to ensure they are ready for the new season. Their best time of 1:48.496 (122.770 mph) came in the morning session of the second day. Even if a team makes only a few changes or none at all, the early shakedown of any race car before the first race is always needed.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:55 am

~~~Current 2010 American LeMans Series Standings................

~~~LeMans Prototype Class Standings
-----LMP Drivers Standings(top-10+)
t-1st}[1]Paul Drayson, 30 pts
t-1st}[2]Jonny Cocker, 30 pts
t-1st}[3]Emmanuel Pirro, 30 pts
t-1st}[4]Greg Pickett, 30 pts(1w)
t-1st}[5]Klaus Graf, 30 pts(1w)
t-1st}[6]Sascha Maasen, 30 pts(1w)
t-7th}[7]David Brabham, 26 pts
t-7th}[8]Marino Franchitti, 26 pts
t-7th}[9]Simon Pagenaud, 26 pts
t-10th}[10]Chris Dyson, 23 pts
t-10th}[11]Guy Smith, 23 pts
t-10th}[12]Andy Meyrick, 23 pts
note 1........only full-time ALMS entrants are awarded pts. from 1st downward; although Peugeot and Aston Martin teams finished ahead of Drayson in LMP(1), Drayson will be scored as finishing 1st in the LMP class

-----LMP Chassis Standings
t-1st}[1]Lola, 30 pts
t-1st}[2]Porsche, 30 pts(1w)
3rd} HPD, 26 pts
HPD--Honda Preformance Development

-----LMP Engine Standings
t-1st}[1]Judd, 30 pts
t-1st}[2]Porsche, 30 pts(1w)
3rd} HPD, 26 pts
4th} Mazda, 23 pts

~~~LeMans Prototype Challenge Class Standings
t-1st}[1]Scott Tucker, 30 pts(1w)
t-1st}[2]Christophe Bouchut, 30 pts(1w)
t-1st}[3]Mark Wilkins, 30 pts(1w)
t-4th}[4]Andy Wallace, 26 pts
t-4th}[5]J.R. Hildebrand, 26 pts
t-4th}[6]Tom Sutherland, 26 pts
t-7th}[7]Joel Feinberg, 23 pts
t-7th}[8]Kyle Marcelli, 23 pts
t-7th}[9]Tom Weickardt, 23 pts
t-10th}[10]Mitch Pagerey, 20 pts
t-10th}[11]Brian Wong, 20 pts
t-10th}[12]David Ducote, 20 pts

Grand Touring Class Standings
-----GT Drivers Standings(top-10+)
t-1st}[1]Jaime Melo, 30 pts(1w)
t-1st}[2]Gianmaria Bruni, 30 pts(1w)
t-1st}[3]Pierre Kaffer, 30 pts(1w)
t-4th}[4]Bill Auberlen, 26 pts
t-4th}[5]Tommy Milner, 26 pts
t-4th}[6]Dirk Werner, 26 pts
t-7th}[7]Dirk Muller, 23 pts
t-7th}[8]Joey Hand, 23 pts
t-7th}[9]Andy Priaulx, 23 pts
t-10th}[10]Jorg Bergmeister, 20 pts
t-10th}[11]Patrick Long, 20 pts
t-10th}[12]Marc Lieb, 20 pts

-----GT Manufacturers Standings
1st} Ferrari, 30 pts(1w)
2nd} BMW, 26 pts
3rd} Porsche, 23 pts
4th} Chevrolet, 13 pts
5th} Ford, 11 pts

Grand Touring Challenge Class Standings
t-1st}[1]Butch Leitzinger, 30 pts(1w)
t-1st}[2]Juan Gonzalez, 30 pts(1w)
t-1st}[3]Leh Keen, 30 pts(1w)
t-4th}[4]Bill Sweedler, 26 pts
t-4th}[5]Romeo Kapudjia, 26 pts
t-4th}[6]Jan-Dirk Lueders, 26 pts
t-7th}[7]Ricardo Gonzalez, 23 pts
t-7th}[8]Luis Diaz, 23 pts
t-7th}[9]Patrick Kelly, 23 pts
t-10th}[10]Robert Rodriguez, 20 pts
t-10th}[11]Galen Bieker, 20 pts
t-10th}[12]Cory Friedman, 20 pts

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Jaguar XKR to make ALMS debut at Long Beach

Post by mlittle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:22 am

Last year, RSR Principal Partner Paul Gentilozzi attended the Tequila Patrón American Le Mans Series at Long Beach event to unveil the JaguarRSR program which was formed to build and race the Jaguar XKR in the American Le Mans Series GT2 category. This year, the #75 JaguarRSR XKR GT will make its debut on the streets of Long Beach. Jaguar enthusiasts may be used to seeing the production car soar through downtown streets, but not its high performance racing counterpart.

Long Beach is the American street circuit. There is Monaco, there is Macau......and then there is Long Beach. The event has been around since 1977, it is an iconic race in a huge market and nothing matches its atmosphere. This weekend will be the team's first race with the JaguarRSR XKR GT on the 1.968-mile, 11-turn temporary street course, but its drivers, engineers, and crew have had previous experience there and know what to expect.

Behind the wheel will be Long Beach victors Gentilozzi and Ryan Dalziel. Gentilozzi earned his first professional victory in Long Beach back in 1988, the first of many victories not only at Long Beach, but in his legendary Trans-Am career. Dalziel's primary experience comes from his open-wheel racing days, which saw him win from the pole in 2004 while competing in Formula Atlantics.

As a team owner, Gentilozzi has recorded five poles totaling eight front row starts (back-to-back poles from 2001 - 2004, followed by a 2nd in qualifying in 2005 in a Jaguar XKR), five victories (two in a Jaguar XKR), nine podiums (six in a Jaguar XKR) in 13 years of competition in the Trans-Am Series at Long Beach. Some of the crew members from those days are still with Gentilozzi, in addition to engineers and mechanics that complete the JaguarRSR team with various backgrounds from the Champ Car, Trans-Am, and ALMS series - all of which have had Long Beach on their schedule throughout the years.

Of all the events on the 2010 American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón, Round 2 has the shortest duration; not only the race, but the event weekend in general. There is limited track time before the race takes the green flag on Saturday afternoon. There will be two practice sessions totaling in two hours and 30 minutes before the #75 JaguarRSR XKR GT will qualify on Friday afternoon. The one hour and 40 minute Tequila Patrón American Le Mans Series at Long Beach will see the green flag at 4:40 p.m. PDT Saturday, April 17.

---Ryan Dalziel, co-Driver of the #75 JaguarRSR XKR GT
I think that Sebring was very disappointing for everyone at JaguarRSR so the guys in East Lansing, Michigan have worked some very long days since then to make improvements to our on track performance. I know we will be taking a huge step forward, and going into a slightly shorter race will benefit us. I just can't wait to get on that plane to LA. I am so excited about going back to Long Beach to race the Jaguar RSR XKR GT2. I remember like it was yesterday, my first race in America was there back in 2002, driving in Formula Atlantics. I was blown away by how they transformed city streets into a race track as awesome as that. I have been fortunate to race there 5 times, 2002-2004 in Formula Atlantics (winning from Pole in 2004), 2006 in Grand American Rolex Series and lastly 2007 in the Champ Car World Series. 2004 was very special for me; winning the race from Pole and leading every lap to victory. 2007 was also pretty special because coming to America in 2002 my ambition was to pursue a Champ Car career, and racing at Long Beach in a Champ Car for sure fulfilled my goals. Every car I have driven there has been an amazing experience and its one of those events that I have a huge smile on my face when I think about going. It's a very unique event and probably one of the more glamorous off track events we have in America. It's a beautiful city and I very much enjoy being there and enjoying the event every bit as much as driving it.
----Paul Gentilozzi, co-Driver of the #75 JaguarRSR XKR GT
The guys have been working very hard to resolve any issues we discovered in Sebring and move forward getting the #75 JaguarRSR XKR GT ready for the streets of Long Beach. We are going to have to take advantage of every on-track second we have, because there is not a lot of that available this weekend before the race. But we will focus every effort into getting the car setup ready so we can have a good race on Saturday. Twenty two years ago the Long Beach Grand Prix became my first professional victory and a race track I could always count on for a great performance. I have made fourteen Long Beach appearances with five victories and eight front-row starts and ten top-ten finishes, since that eventful Trans Am victory. A victory that changed my racing life forever.
A lap around Long Beach with Rocketsports Team Principal Paul Gentilozzi........
The track has gone through some changes as the city has grown around the major streets of Ocean Blvd., Pine Street and Shoreline. The areas once blighted by urban change are again full of high rise life, restaurants and people enjoying the view of one of the world's largest seaports.

What has not changed is the front straight that arcs along Shoreline and that has been exciting Southern California race fans for more than thirty years.

While Shoreline represents one of the longest street tracks front straights you can only take advantage of it if you get a great head start. That straight begins with the last corner of the famous track referred by most as the "hairpin". It is there I have chosen to start my lap description.

On a qualifying lap the right technique for the Shoreline straight is to actually miss the proper hairpin line and go deep into the corner rotating the car to give yourself a longer run and better acceleration to the start line, the lap actually starts before you trip the timer. With this straight you need to be fast all the way down not pinching the turn radius to scrub off speed, as you can see the Pine street sign you have to release the steering wheel allowing the car to free up any chassis restriction on your acceleration.

Turn one is looming and every experienced driver here has his own brake points, the key element as you cross the Pine St. bump is to stay on the grip portion of the track and not induce any lateral motion. Turn one is a 2nd gear left-hander that allows you to carry more speed than newcomers appreciate. The downside is the outside wall doesn't move an inch if impacted. As soon as you feel good lateral grip it is important to feed throttle for the run to the "fountain". Braking into the fountain turn is something many over estimate, the surface is uneven and crowned, if you carry too much speed in you will miss this 270 degree rotation and cost a lot of lap time.

Getting the right front wheel on the inside curbing is essential for proper rotation and to avoid push, when done properly you come an inch from the left side wall and the car has a short burst of throttle before a lift and light brake for the turn four right hander. This turn also allows momentum and leads to a good straight with acceleration. The right hander at turn five is likely the place where experience gives advantage. The turn covers five lanes of street with two crowns a dirty outer edge and another immovable wall, when done right it feels seamless and fast.

Going back the opposite direction on Shoreline you accelerate through three gears for turn six, it is very similar to five with many pavement and camber changes. With the years of experience you can deduce your own markers and fence breaks for acceleration down the hill on Pine. The turn seven brake zone is high on the list of accidents and braking mistakes, the natural off camber is affected by pavement changes and a downhill entry that causes over zealous behavior. Couple wide lanes with aggressive competitors and you get a crash zone much like turn one. The key to all of this is forget the entry speed to get exit speed, this corner is the beginning of the back straight and is critical to lap times.

Turn nine is a matter of personal preference, if you go outside it is bumpy and slippery, if you go inside there is more grip but harder to rotate the car, you see every strategy here. The key is allowing yourself an acceleration zone on the way to the sweeping radius called turn ten, many are afraid of acceleration here as a mistake ends up in the outside wall, trust comes with experience and that makes lap times. This sweeping right takes us to our point of the beginning, the hairpin.

Many complain and say it is too this or that, for me it is a classic challenge that can determine your ability to hold the lead, rub fenders with a car trying to pass or just not make a mistake and bang the wall. You will see again many techniques for this turn, we all think we are doing it right; the run to the finish line is the only true judge.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:56 am

Long Beach Practice Session 1 Class Leaders..............
LMP} #007 Aston Martin Racing Lola B09-60/AMR, 1:15.112 sec[1st overall]
LMPC} #99 Green Earth Oreca FLM-09 Courage, 1:18.333 sec[6th overall]
GT} #3 Compuware Chevrolet Corvette C-6R, 1:21.895 sec[13th overall]
GTC} #56 Black Swan Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, 1:22.921 sec[26th overall]

Long Beach Practice Session 2 Class Leaders..............
LMP} #1 Patron Tequila HPD ARX-01c Honda, 1:14.580 sec[1st overall]
LMPC} #55 Level 5 Mtrspts. Oreca FLM-09 Courage, 1:18.588 sec[7th overall]
GT} #62 Ferrari of Long Beach Ferrari 430GT, 1:20.679 sec[10th overall]
GTC} #54 Black Swan Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, 1:24.427 sec[27th overall]

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Fernandez, AMR on point at the Beach..........

Post by mlittle » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:30 pm

~~~Aston Martin Racing will start from the overall pole for Saturday's Tequila Patron American Le Mans Series at Long Beach. Adrian Fernandez clocked a 1:13.213 late in the session, edging out Patron Highcroft Racing's Simon Pagenaud by 0.072 seconds in the highly entertaining 20-minute qualifying period. Chris Dyson was third in his Dyson Racing Lola-Mazda.

Christophe Bouchut took top honors in LMPC, turning a 1:17.273 in his No. 55 Level 5 Motorsports Oreca FLM09 machine. Gunnar Jeannette qualified second, while JR Hildebrand was third.

Jamie Melo steered his No. 62 Risi Competizione Ferrari F430 GT to the GT pole. The Brazilian driver ran a 1:19.581 to give the Prancing Horse its first pole of the season. Team Falken Tire continued its strong run, with Wolf Henzler qualifying the No. 17 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR in second, with the No. 3 Corvette Racing C6.R of Johnny O'Connell in third.

Jeroen Bleekemolen gave Black Swan Racing the GTC pole on the team's class debut. The Porsche ace turned a 1:23.857 in the 2010-spec 911 GT3 Cup machine he shares with team owner/driver Tim Pappas. Andy Lally, a late call-up for TRG, was second, while James Sofronas rounded out the top-three.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Pagenaud, Highcroft win at the Beach!

Post by mlittle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:54 am

......a last-lap pass was enough to give Patron Highcroft Racing and drivers Simon Pagenaud and David Brabham the win in Long Beach......

note........more detailed report later this evening
----Simon Pagenaud made a daring last-lap pass over Adrian Fernandez to take a thrilling win in Saturday's Tequila Patron American Le Mans Series at Long Beach. It marks Patron Highcroft Racing's first win of the season in the new combined LMP class.

The No. 45 Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsche of Patrick Long scored the GT win after hunting down the two BMW Rahal Letterman Racing BMW M3s late in the 100-minute race. Green Earth Team Gunnar's Gunnar Jeannette and Elton Julien picked up LMPC honors, while Butch Leitzinger and Juan Gonzalez made it two-for-two in GTC.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Re: Pagenaud, Highcroft win at the Beach!

Post by mlittle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:44 pm

mlittle wrote:Image
......a last-lap pass was enough to give Patron Highcroft Racing and drivers Simon Pagenaud and David Brabham the win in Long Beach......

note........more detailed report later this evening
----Simon Pagenaud made a daring last-lap pass over Adrian Fernandez to take a thrilling win in Saturday's Tequila Patron American Le Mans Series at Long Beach. It marks Patron Highcroft Racing's first win of the season in the new combined LMP class.

The No. 45 Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsche of Patrick Long scored the GT win after hunting down the two BMW Rahal Letterman Racing BMW M3s late in the 100-minute race. Green Earth Team Gunnar's Gunnar Jeannette and Elton Julien picked up LMPC honors, while Butch Leitzinger and Juan Gonzalez made it two-for-two in GTC.
----Two years ago, David Brabham made a pass on the second-to-last-lap to give Patrón Highcroft Racing a class victory at the historic Long Beach circuit. Saturday, he watched teammate Simon Pagenaud do the same thing – this time for an overall victory on the final lap– as the duo won the Tequila Patrón American Le Mans Series at Long Beach.

Pagenaud came out best in a titanic duel with Aston Martin Racing’s Adrian Fernandez to win the second round of the 2010 American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón. The young Frenchman beat Fernandez across the line by 0.353 seconds.

“That pass was quite hairy. I could see Adrian was having some issues,” Pagenaud said. “He was driving differently for the last few laps. I figured if I played it smart and took second I could get as many points for finishing first (as the highest-finishing full-season entry). But I’m a racer and thought if I push him maybe I could get him to make a mistake and I waited for the opportunity.”

Pagenaud and Brabham won despite an early penalty for avoidable contact with Harold Primat the Lola-Aston Martin. Pagenaud had ceded the lead to Fernandez with six minutes but ran wide at Turn 5 on the final lap. That was all the opening Pagenaud needed for the team’s first overall victory at Long Beach and first win since Mosport last season.

“It’s nice to be on the other side and watch someone like Simon chase people down,” Brabham said. “This team always amazes me and they did a fantastic job with the pit stop. It was a fight for Simon all the way to the end and with Adrian’s mistake he capitalized on it.”

Pagenaud had led Fernandez by as much as eight seconds before the Mexican legend and race polesitter fought back to retake the lead. The V12 power gave the Lola-Aston Martin a decided advantage in the high-speed straights but the nimbleness of the Patrón Highcroft entry through traffic and the corners proved to be the difference.

“Long Beach is very special for me,” Pagenaud said. “As I said over the weekend, this is where I started racing in America in 2006. I’ve been successful here, and yesterday in qualifying you could see I love this track. The Patrón Highcroft car was just doing so well. This was our best win ever because it wasn’t just my win; we are a team. But certainly it is my favorite finish.”

Muscle Milk Team CytoSport’s duo of Greg Pickett and Klaus Graf placed third in LMP with their Porsche RS Spyder. Pickett and Graf also won the prototype portion of the MICHELIN® GREEN X® Challenge for being the fastest and most energy-efficient LMP entry.

Jörg Bergmeister and Patrick Long won in GT for Flying Lizard Motorsports, their second straight Long Beach victory. Long, driving the duo’s Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, finished four seconds ahead of Corvette Racing’s Jan Magnussen and Johnny O’Connell.

Four different teams and three manufacturers led at least one lap in the massively tough GT class. Long ran down BMW Rahal Letterman Racing Team’s Tommy Milner with less than 10 minutes to go. The BMW M3 GT did not change tires and fell back to third at the finish; Milner drove with Bill Auberlen.

Bergmeister started fourth in class but the do was aided by quick pit work during the third and final caution period when a majority of the field made stops for fuel and driver changes.

“The crew did a fantastic job,” Bergmeister said. “We beat out every car except the two BMWs who did not take tires. It showed how hard we pushed all day, and Patrick did a great job chasing down the BMWs and passing them on the track during his final stint. The team worked well together to get a win today.”

As at Sebring, the leading cars in class ran virtually nose to tail for the majority of the opening half.

“From the GT standpoint we were pushing all the way throughout,” said Long, who also won the GT portion of the MICHELIN® GREEN X® Challenge with Bergmeister. “I think everyone out there in the second stint with fresh tires was going really, really hard. It really came down to the battle of pit stops with just about 45 minutes to go. We have some new crewmembers and they hit all their marks, thanks to them tonight. They need to celebrate.”

In LMPC, the duo of Gunnar Jeannette and Elton Julian won in G-Oil’s Green Earth Team Gunnar ORECA FLM09. It was the first victory for the drivers and the team with all finishing second in class at the season-opening Sebring race.

“It’s a pleasure to work with a team like this, and it’s great to be back racing again,” Julian said. “We were a bit unlucky at Sebring but today things worked out like they should. Here we are, and I think we deserve it.”

Jeannette crossed the finish line by a lap over Sebring class winners Christophe Bouchut and Scott Tucker in Level 5 Motorsports’ entries. The top three cars – the G-Oil/GETG, Level 5 and Genoa Racing entries – all led during the race. It was an impressive performance for the ORECA prototypes, which were racing on a street circuit for the first time. The Jeannette/Julian entry also gave G-Oil, an environmentally friendly motor oil made from animal fats, its first victory.

“At Sebring, we proved that G-Oil could run for 12 hours and get on pole,” Jeannette said. “Our guys had a wonderful, wonderful pit stop to get us out in front of the other cars. It was up to me not to put a foot wrong and keep in front. My dad (Kevin Jeannette) is from Long Beach, all our extended family is from here so it’s even better to have them all here. We were really happy to get the car to the finish without problems.”

JR Hildebrand and Tom Sutherland finished third in the class, on the same lap as the Tucker/Bouchut entry.

Butch Leitzinger and Juan Gonzalez won in GTC for Alex Job Racing, just as they did at Sebring with their Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car. Leitzinger won by 1.753 seconds over GMG Racing’s entry of James Sofronas and Bret Curtis.

Leitzinger made the winning pass late when Romeo Kapudija – driving another AJR Porsche – slid off track in some loose debris. He and Bill Sweedler finished third.

“He got caught out getting on some marbles, and it could have happened to anyone,” Leitzinger said. “It was just a really great, hard-fought race. It’s one of those where you’re in the middle of it and thinking ‘You know, this is a really great race.’ There were three or four cars really going at it. It really was a blast.”

As in the GT class, four different entries led at one point.

“The Porsche is an excellent car and it’s proven how good and reliable it is,” said Gonzalez, who drove the opening stint. “The same engine and gearbox is in the car from when we first started. This has been fun for me, and it’s been great having Butch to push me.”