2006 24 Hours of LeMans

Discuss all the other types of Motorsport

Moderator: Ed

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

2006 24 Hours of LeMans

Post by mlittle » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:12 pm

While the "twice-around-the-clock" spectacle of the 24 Hrs. of LeMans is still a couple of months off, the sanctioning body for the event, the Automobile Club L'Ouest(ACO), which also co-sanctions the American LeMans Series, recently released a preliminary list of entrants for the 2006 race, as listed below...(drivers tba.)

LMP-1 class}1-Champion Racing......Audi R10.......1st overall, 2005 24 Hrs. of LeMans
2-Pescarolo Sport.........Pescarolo.....2nd overall, 2005 24 Hrs. of LeMans
3-Champion Racing......Audi R10.......1st overall, 2005 Petit LeMans
4-Dyson Racing...........Lola AER........2nd place, 2005 ALMS stdgs.(#1)
5-Pescarolo Sport........Pescarolo.......1st place, 2005 LMES stdgs.
6-Zytek Mtrspts...........Zytek 04S......2nd place, 2005 LMES stdgs.

LMP-2 class}1-RML......................Lola MG..........1st LMP-2, 2005 24 Hrs. of LeMans
2-Belmondo Racing....Courage C65..2nd LMP-2, 2005 24 Hrs. of LeMans
3-Intersport Racing.....Lola EX257.....1st LMP-2, 2005 Petit LeMans
4-Miracle Mtrspts........Courage C65....2nd place, 2005 ALMS stdgs.(#2)
5-Chamberlain Syn....Lola..............1st place, 2005 LMES stdgs.
6-RML........................Lola MG........2nd place, 2005 LMES stdgs.

GT-1 class}1-Corvette Racing...........Corvette C-6R...1st GT-1, 2005 24 hrs. of LeMans
2-Aston Martin Racing.....Aston Martin DBR9...3rd Gt-1, 2005 24 Hrs. of LeMans(#3)
3-Corvette Racing..........Corvette C-6R....1st GT-1, 2005 Petit LeMans
4-ACEMCO Mtrspts..........Saleen S7R........2nd place, 2005 ALMS stdgs.(#4)
5-BMS Scuderia...........Ferrari 550 Maranello....1st place, 2005 LMES stdgs.
6-Converse Team.......Ferrari 550 Maranello.....2nd place, 2005 LMES stdgs.(#6)

GT-2 class}1-Alex Job Racing........Porsche 911 GT3 RSR...1st GT-2, 2005 24 Hrs. of LeMans
2-White Ltg. Racing.....Porsche 911 GT3 RSR....2nd GT-2, 2005 24 Hrs. of LeMans
3-White Ltg. Racing......Porsche 911 GT3 RSR....1st GT-2, 2005 Petit LeMans
4-Alex Job Racing........Porsche 911 GT3 RSR.....2nd place, 2005 ALMS stdgs.(#5)
5-Sebah Auto..............Porsche 911 GT3 RS........1st place, 2005 LMES stdgs.
6-Scuderia Ecosse.......Ferrari 360 Modena..........2nd place, 2005 LMES stdgs.

ALMS-American LeMans Series
LMES-LeMans Endurance Series
#1-Qualifies based on its' 2nd place finish in the 2005 ALMS LMP-1 stdgs.
#2-Qualifies based on its' 2nd place finish in the 2005 ALMS LMP-2 stdgs.
#3-Qualifies because both Corvette Racing entries had already qualified via either wins in the 24 Hrs. of LeMans or Petit LeMans; next highest 24 Hrs. of LeMans finisher
#4-Qualifies based on its' 2nd place finish in the 2005 ALMS GT-1 stdgs.
#5-Qualifies based on its' 2nd place finish in the 2005 AMLS GT-2 stdgs.
#6-Qualifies because they were the second-highest finishing entrant in the 2005 24 Hrs. of LeMans

More info to follow as the race approaches...... :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Piquet to drive an Aston Martin at LeMans

Post by mlittle » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:18 am

Back in January, Nelson Piquet, Jr., drove an Aston Martin DBR9 to victory in the Brazilian 1000m "Mil Milhas" endurance race; Friday, he received an invitation to drive for Team Modena at the upcoming 24 Hours of LeMans, and he accepted yesterday, reuniting him with David Brabham, who drove alongside the younger Piquet at the recent LeMans Endurance Series race at Spa-Franchorchamps(the Spa 1000k) to a 2nd-place GT-1 finish. The pair will be joined by Spanish driver Antonio Garcia and the team will be managed by Cirtek Motorsport, which currently runs the Aston Martin DBR9 program in Europe. Here are some quotes from thos involved.....

Nelson Piquet, Jr.:
I was really happy to be invited to take part in this race to drive the Aston Martin and I am delighted that Team Modena thought of me to join the team with Antonio and David. I drove the car at the Mil Milhas in January and won, but it is a very different kind of car to drive than I am used to. I don't know this circuit so I will be working very hard during tomorrow's test day to learn as much as I can and be prepared. There are a lot of very good guys in the team and the other drivers have a lot of experience. Anything can happen in race like this but I think we a good chance to win our category. It's going to be a big challenge because this is something very different, but I love to learn and love to drive, so for me this is an excellent opportunity.
Rik Bryan, Owner/Team Director, Team Modena:
I am very pleased that Nelson has agreed to join us for LeMans as it is very rare for such a young and talented driver to step out from a hectic season in GP2 to take on the challenge of the toughest long distance sports car race in the world. His performance in Interlagos last January showed his ability in the Aston Martin and to have him join David and Antonio is a terrific boost on the eve of the event. This weekend's testing will be very important given that there is only two weeks to go before the race. I would like to thank the Piquet Sports team for its' cooperation and hope we give Nelson the support he needs to make a strong LeMans debut.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Final Entry List for 2006 24 Hours of LeMans

Post by mlittle » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:41 pm

According to radiolemans.com, here is the final entry for the 2006 running of the world's most prestigious endurance race, the 24 Hours of LeMans......(note....driver listings were unavailable.... :x ; only team and car entrants were available)

LeMans Prototype(LMP-1) entries...........
#2 Zytek Engineering(GBR)............................Lola B06-10/Zytek
#5 Swiss Spirit(SUI)......................................Courage B65/Judd
#6 Lister Storm Racing(GBR)..........................Lister Storm
#7 and #8 Audi Sport Team Joest(USA)...........Audi R10
#9 Creation Autosportif(GBR).........................Creation/Judd
#12 and #13 Courage Competition(FRA)..........Courage B65/Mugen
#14 Racing for Holland(NED)...........................Dome/Mugen
#16 and #17 Pescarolo Sport(FRA)..................Pescarolo/Judd
#19 Chamberlain/Synergy(GBR).....................Lola B06-10/AER

LeMans Prototype(LMP-2) entries............
#20 Bruneau Pierre(FRA)................................Pilbeam/Judd
#22 Rollcentre Racing(GBR)............................Radical/Judd
#24 Binnie Mtrspts(USA).................................Lola EX257/Zytek
#25 RML(GBR)...............................................Lola EX257/AER
#27 Miracle Mtrspts(USA)................................Courage C65/AER
#30 Welter Gerald(FRA)..................................WR Peugeot
#32 Barazi Epsilon(FRA)..................................Courage C65/AER
#33 Intersport Racing(USA).............................Lola EX257/AER
#35 G-Force Racing(BEL).................................Courage C65/Judd
#36 and #37 Paul Belmondo Racing(FRA)..........Courage C65/Ford
#9 Chamberlain/Synergy(GBR)........................Lola EX257/AER

Grand Touring(GT-1) entries.............
#50 Labrere Competition(FRA)............................Ferrari 550 Maranello
#53 Jsoc Itao Noritake(JPN)................................Lamborghini Murcielago
#58 and #59 Aston Martin/Prodrive Racing(GBR)..Aston Martin DBR9
#61 and #62 Russian Age Racing(RUS)................#61 Ferrari 550 Maranello; #62 Aston Martin DBR9
#63 and #64 Corvette Racing(USA).....................Chevrolet Corvette C-6R
#66 ACEMCO Mtrspts(USA).................................Saleen S7R
#67 Convers-Menx Team(RUS)............................Ferrari 550 Maranello
#69 BMS-Scuderia Italia(ITA)..............................Aston Martin DBR9
#72 Luc Alphand Adventures(FRA).......................Chevrolet Corvette C-5R

Grand Touring(GT-2) entries.................
#73 Gordon Racing Team(BEL)............................Porsche 996
#76 IMSA Performance Matmut(FRA)....................Porsche 911 GT3
#77 Multimatic-Team Panoz(CAN)........................Panoz Esperante GTLM
#80 Flying Lizard Mtrspts(USA)............................Porsche 911 GT3
#81 Team LNT(GBR)...........................................Panoz Esperante GTLM
#84 Team ICER Brakes(SPN)..............................Ferrari 430GT
#85 and #86 Spyker Sqdn(BEL)..........................Spyker C8 Spyder
#87 Scuderia Ecosse(GBR)..................................Ferrari 430GT
#89 Sebah Automotive Ltd(GBR)..........................Porsche 911 GT3
#90 White Lightning Racing(USA).........................Porsche 911 GT3
#91 T2M Mtspts(JPN)...........................................Porsche 911 GT3
#93 Team Taisan Advan(JPN)...............................Porsche 911 GT3
#98 Noel Del Bello(BEL).......................................Porsche 911 GT3

Reserve entries for the 2006 24 Hours of LeMans.............
#10 Creation Autosportif(GBR).......LMP-1.............Creation/Judd
#23 Rollcentre Racing(GBR)...........LMP-2.............Radical/Judd
#83 Seikel Mtrspts(GER)................GT-2...............Porsche 911 GT3
#82 Team LNT(GBR)......................GT-2...............Panoz Esperante GTLM
#94 Flying Lizard Mtrspts(USA).......GT-2...............Porsche 911 GT3
#31 Rachel Welter(FRA).................LMP-2.............WR Peugeot
#40 Kruse Mtrspts(GBR).................LMP-2.............Courage C65/Judd
#96 Farnbacher Racing(USA)..........GT-2...............Porsche 911 GT3

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:41 pm

With the 24 Hours of LeMans now just a short-distance away, here (for your reading and comments) are the likely outcomes in each of the four classes......

LMP-1}In the top sportscar prototype class, the fight at the front is likely to be a 2-team battle royale btwn. the Pescarolo entries and the Audi Sport entries. The question to be answered........which will prevail, the outright speed and power for the Pescarolo/Judd or the seemingly infinite reliabilty of the Audi R10, successor to the mighty Audi R8? There doesn't seem to be any wildcards in this class, although the entries of Zytek Eng.(Lola/Zytek) and Lister Storm(Lister-Cosworth) have shown the speed of the Pesc./Judd, can be stay reliable enough to match the Audi's?

LMP-2}This class has no clear favorites.........if you have to pick any team, the ones to watch out for are the Chamerlain/Synergy entry, the Intersport Racing entry, and the Bruneau Pierre entry.

GT-1}Twelve times in sportscar competition (dating back to Sebring 2005) the Corvette C-6R and Aston Martin DBR9 have fought tooth-and-nail battles for GT-1 honors; Corvette has won 11 of them(the DBR9 won at Sebring in 2005). The same question as in LMP-1 is relevant here......which will win the race, the speed/cornering of the Aston Martin or the supremely reliability of the C-6R? Wildcards.........good luck finding them in GT-1. :shock: :shock:

GT-2}A three-way battle btwn. some classic and modern sportscar marques' should be the order of the day......there are factory AND privateer Porsche, Panoz and Ferrari entries that can win. Also returning for the first time this year since Sebring is the Spyker C8 Spyder, which could have the potential to upset the race. :shock: :shock:

Well, those are my predictions........now I just have to find a comfortable place along the Mulsanne Straight to watch the race unfold. Good luck to everyone, and may it be a great 24 hours of racing!!! :burnout: :burnout: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :knight: :duel: :duel: :argue: :clap: :clap: :knight: :woohoo: :bounceg: :bouncey: :bouncec: :bouncest: :bounce: :smokin:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Audi R10 leads at start of 24 Hours of Le Mans

Post by mlittle » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:22 am

Under clear skies, the 74th Michelin 24 Hours of LeMans began as all 50 cars took the green flag at the Circuit de la Sarthe. As expected, the Audi R10's of Audi Sport Team Joest began a torrid pace, currently averaging at the 10 hour mark 16 laps or so per hour, which could possibly put the current all-time 24 Hr. record in jeopardy.

43 cars are still racing; 7 have retired, most in the LMP-2 class, including both Paul Belmondo Courage/Ford-Mecachrome entries, which crashed at separate locations on-track, the #37 at the Tertre corner, the #36 hard into the Armco barriers along the Mulsanne straight near the Indianapolis corner. Over in the GT-1, the #63 Compuware Corvette C-6R had a minor shunt near the Dunlop bridge.

Class leaders at the 10-hour mark......
LMP-1}#8 Audi Sport Team Joest(E. Pirro)...............165 laps(1st overall)
LMP-2}#25 RML(A. Wallace)...................................149 laps(7th overall)
GT-1}#009 Astom Martin Racing(S. Ortelli).............152 laps(5th overall)
GT-2}#83 Seikel Mtrspts(P. Ehret)..........................142 laps(17th overall)

More updates to follow over the night...........now, where's T-K and that plider of his? :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:16 am

First off, I'd like to thank the line of thunderstorms that came across the Carolinas and turned internet services into.........clags of rubber, just as at LeMans. :x Speaking of the just-ended 24 Hrs. of LeMans......

In the LMP-1 class, for the sixth time in seven years, an Audi crossed the line first, this time making an historic win with the R10, a 12-cyl., 5.5-liter twin-turbo diesel(that's right, diesel), with drivers Marco Werner, Emanuele Pirro and Frank Biela taking the class and overall victories.

In the LMP-2 class, it was a battle for survival, as the frontrunners, from the Intersport Lola/AER, to Chamberlain/Synergy's Lola/AER, to the Belmondo Courages', fell victim to various mechanical and off-course woes........the worst ignominy occurring to Intersport's Cint Field, whose car suffered gearbox failure exiting the mid-point chicane along the Mulsanne straight, stranding him about halfway around the track. In the end, it was the Rollcentre Racing Radical/Judd which survived(literally! :shock: ) to take the class honors in LMP-2.

Over in the GT-1 class, it was a battle royale btwn. the Aston Martin DBR9's of Prodrive Racing, agst. the Chevrolet Corvette C-6R's of Corvette Racing, and for the twelvth time in the past thirteen fights btwn. them, it was the red-white-n'blue C-6R that prevailed, at the hands of drivers Jan Magnussen, Olivier Beretta and Oliver Gavin.

Finally, in the GT-2 class, it was the privateers that ruled the day, as Team LNT and the Panoz Esperante GTLM carried the day, giving Panoz its' first-ever win at LeMans.

Observations later today...........