The 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Thread

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Driver of the day ?

Kimi Raikkonen
46%
Fernando Alonso
26%
Sebastian Vettel
20%
Jenson Button
No votes
Kamui Kobayashi
No votes
Felipe Massa
1%
Bruno Senna
No votes
Paul di Resta
3%
Daniel Ricciardo
4%

Total votes: 76

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

The 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Thread

Post by Ed » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:51 pm

This is the place to discuss everything related to the eighteenth round of the 2012 season taking place at the Yas Marina Circuit between the 2nd and 4th of November.

To submit your 10 'n' Pole Picks for Abu Dhabi click here, to register in the competition click here

Track Layout

The event timetable for the Indian Grand Prix.

Friday
1st Practice 13:00 local time - 09:00 GMT
2nd Practice 17:00 local time - 13:00 GMT

Saturday
Practice 14:00 local time - 10:00 GMT
Qualifying 17:00 local time - 13:00 GMT

Sunday
Race 17:00 local time - 13:00 GMT

For the latest Formula 1 News check out the F1 news page
Last edited by Ed on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:35 am

Qualifying top 10:
1 Lewis Hamilton
2 Mark Webber
3 Sebastian Vettel - Excluded
4 Pastor Maldonado
5 Kimi Raikkonen
6 Jenson Button
7 Fernando Alonso
8 Nico Rosberg
9 Felipe Massa
10 Romain Grosjean

Sebastian Vettel to start from the back of the grid after he was excluded from the qualifying results due to running out of fuel.
The team decided to take the car out of parc ferme to investigate the issue and thus Vettel will start from pitlane

Stewards decision: The Stewards received a report from the Race Director that car 1 failed to return to the pits under its own power as required under Article 6.6.2 of the FIA Formula One Technical Regulations.
The Stewards heard from the driver and team representatives and studied telemetry evidence that showed the reason why the car was stopped.
The Stewards accepted the explanation and considered the incident as being a case of force majeure.
However a report was received from the Technical Delegate that showed during post-qualifying scrutineering an insufficient quantity of fuel for sampling purposes.
The Stewards determine that this is a breach of Article 6.6.2 of the FIA Formula One Technical Regulations and the Competitor is accordingly excluded from the results of the Qualifying Session.
The Competitor is however allowed to start the race from the back of the grid.

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:35 am

Found this a difficult choice. Obviously Vettel is one many will go for, but I went for Raikkonen (and not just because of his comedy radio messages). Vettel did very well to climb from 24th to 3rd, but he also benefited very much from the pit stops and from having perhaps the fastest car on the grid (and two extended DRS zones). I think he drove very well but also had some large slices of luck.

Raikkonen was lapping about 2s faster than Grosjean at one point, and after Hamilton (who was in a league of his own and desperately unlucky not to win) was the class of the field.

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:12 am

Well that certainly was one very interesting race. Gave DotD to Kimi but could have gone to a few drivers.

Funniest driver goes to Kimi for comments on radio as well as on the podium.
Unluckiest driver goes to Hamilton..... he was looking good until his car decided it was just too darmed tired to go on.
Not sure what award Mark should win but he certainly seemed to want to dance with everyone on track.

:D
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Hamilton's been monstrously unlucky. Reliability failings have cost him almost certainly 50 points in Singapore and Abu Dhabi. Because of the sliding scale of points that's probably also benefited Vettel (who has also retired twice due to alternator failure) and harmed Alonso (whose two retirements were due to being hit by others, once in a very stupid start by Grosjean and once in a racing incident with Raikkonen).

Thought Webber had a poor race. I'm not a Maldonado fan (I think he's fast but hotheaded and sometimes plain malicious) but Webber was in the wrong in that contact, cocked up passing Massa and then had bad luck when Perez and Di Resta tangled.

Nobody's mentioned Kobayashi, but he went from 16th to 6th, which is pretty good.

Axey
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by Axey » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:39 pm

Well im sure eating my words of Kimi has lost his appitite and wont win a race.
Sauber FTW
Massa FTW
any ex Sauber driver FTW
Perez and Koboyashi FTW
btw did i mention i like Sauber

jido
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by jido » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:21 am

Axey wrote:Well im sure eating my words of Kimi has lost his appitite and wont win a race.
HA!

I think he still has a ferocious appetite for wins, it is more like he became more of a team-player so he looks OK with a lower slot if it means points for the championship. Which is not how I saw him in his early days.

Axey
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by Axey » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:31 am

jido wrote:
Axey wrote:Well im sure eating my words of Kimi has lost his appitite and wont win a race.
HA!

I think he still has a ferocious appetite for wins, it is more like he became more of a team-player so he looks OK with a lower slot if it means points for the championship. Which is not how I saw him in his early days.
I disagree i think he was best when he was at Sauber then went downhill a bit.
Sauber FTW
Massa FTW
any ex Sauber driver FTW
Perez and Koboyashi FTW
btw did i mention i like Sauber