2011 Firestone Indy Lights Thread

All about the IRL Indy Pro Series and the Atlantic Championship

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Daly Starts From Point In Charm City

Post by mlittle » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:59 am

---BALTIMORE -- Upon further review ... Conor Daly will start from the pole in the 35-lap Baltimore 100 on Sept. 4. The qualifications order was revised by Firestone Indy Lights officials, who determined that several drivers set their fastest laps while a local yellow was displayed on the course.

“Under a local yellow in the Firestone Indy Lights, you can’t improve your lap time,” Firestone Indy Lights Senior Official Tony Cotman said. “Any car that drives through the local yellow area will have their lap deleted. I feel really bad about the people it affected negatively, particularly Gustavo Yacaman (who recorded the quickest lap of the 45-minute session), but I feel really good knowing that we applied the rule as written and are trying to be consistent from week to week and we will move on.”

Daly, driving the No. 77 Mazda Road to Indy/Sam Schmidt Motorsports car will make his first start from the pole. "It means a lot. I’ve wanted a pole for so long," Daly said. "Esteban (Guerrieri) always seemed to get us this year. I was able to put in a good lap and at the right time. I’m just really happy that the officials made the right decision as well. I’m just ready for the race now. I know we have a fast car and I love street circuits."

Peter Dempsey, driving the No. 26 Andretti Autosport car, will make his second front-row start of the season (Long Beach the other). Yacaman, driving the No. 2 TMR-Tuvacol-Xtreme Coil Drilling car, will start third -- next to Guerrieri, whose streak of top-five starts in the No. 7 Lucas Oil/Sam Schmidt Motorsports car was extended to 12.

Anders Krohn in the No. 9 Liberty Engineering Special for Belardi Autosport will be joined on Row 3 by Stefan Wilson in the No. 5 Andretti Autosport car. Victor Carbone, driving the No. 3 Nevoni/Sam Schmidt Motorsports car, and Tonis Kasemets, who's making his first start in the series since July 2010 in the No. 22 TMR-Xtreme Coil Drilling entry, will occupy Row 4.

Early in the session, drivers had difficulty keeping their cars pointed forward on the rain-slicked 2-mile temporary street circuit. That was detrimental to series points leader Josef Newgarden, whose fastest lap was wiped out because he caused a full-course caution. As moisture moved on and the newly-paved course dried, times came down as the competition rose.

Newgarden will start a season-low 14th in the No. 11 Copart/Score Big/Robo-Pong/Sam Schmidt Motorsports car, ending his streak of top-five starts at nine.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock: