BMW Sauber

Formula 1 Team reports for the 2009 F1 season includes race previews, reports and reviews
Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:39 am

Belgian Grand Prix – Qualifying, Saturday – 29.08.09

Weather: dry, overcast, 13-16°C Air, 22-32°C Track

The BMW Sauber F1 Team put in the best qualifying result of the 2009 season to date with Nick Heidfeld third and Robert Kubica fifth. In the morning’s free practice it had looked promising with Heidfeld fastest overall and Kubica sixth.

Nick Heidfeld: BMW Sauber F1.09-07 / BMW P86/9
Qualifying 3rd, 1:46.500 min (3rd Free Practice: 1st, 1:45.388 min)
“Today’s good result is obviously very important for our team. After BMW announced it was pulling out of the sport we are working on securing the future for the team in Hinwil. Nobody has given up in this difficult period of time and today’s qualifying result is a reward for it. We did our homework in practice, made several changes and I’m quite happy with the balance of the car. I think the fact that the 2009 cars are run on a medium downforce level here for the first time this year might be the reason for the grid being very different to previous races. In Q2 I firstly got stuck in traffic and then at my second outing I had a set of tyres which wasn’t as good, therefore I knew I would go faster once I was in Q3. I still wouldn’t mind a wet race tomorrow – even though I’m third and we did not take it into consideration in terms of fuel load and downforce level.”

Robert Kubica: BMW Sauber F1.09-08 / BMW P86/9
Qualifying 5th, 1:46.586 min (3rd Free Practice: 6th, 1:45.987 min)
“Even yesterday we had a good feeling as we were quite competitive. When we changed the engine before this morning’s practice session, I immediately started losing speed on the straights. Unfortunately we were not able to solve the problem before qualifying. This is a bit unlucky as we have a very competitive car for the first time this season. I hope we can solve this issue by tomorrow. I expect a tough race tomorrow as the pack is close together.”

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director): “As has happened in a couple of previous races this season, the balance of power got pretty heavily shaken up today. Of course we are very happy with this qualifying result. For the first time this season we were able to reclaim the position that we safely had last year. It seems that our car and its tyres are a pretty good combination on this track. That makes me confident for tomorow’s race. Congratulations to Giancarlo Fisichella and Force India for the first pole position of the team.”

Willy Rampf (Head of Engineering): “Of course qualifying third and fifth is fantastic. Yesterday’s results indicated our performance could be pretty good here. We improved the car’s set-up overnight and learnt quite a lot about the optimum use of the tyres. This was the basis for the strong qualifying. After the tough last couple of weeks, the qualifying result is a reward for the entire team who worked flat out on the further development of the car. A big Thank You to the entire team.”

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:35 am

Belgian Grand Prix – Race,
Sunday – 30.08.09

Weather: dry, partly cloudy, 16-18°C Air, 28-34°C Track

The BMW Sauber F1 Team walks away from Spa with a further nine championship points in its pocket. This is exactly the total the team has collected in all the previous eleven races this year. While Robert Kubica improved from fifth on the grid to fourth in the Belgian Grand Prix, his team mate, Nick Heidfeld, was not so happy as he started third and finished fifth in the race. The team had the pace to record the second and third fastest laps in the race.

Robert Kubica: 4th BMW Sauber F1.09-08 / BMW P86/9
Fastest lap 1:47.664 min on lap 41 (3rd fastest overall)
“I managed to make a good start and was second after the first corner. I was surprised to see Kimi next to me going through Eau Rouge. Approaching the fifth corner he braked very late and went off. It is a very tricky place. He came back on the track right in front of me and I played it safe as we saw a lot of accidents there over the weekend. Although we had a slight touch, I was able to continue. At times we lacked a bit of speed but, of course, it is good to be fighting for podiums again. The result means a lot of points for the team and is good. Unfortunately we didn’t have the chance to achieve anything better. The result proves we are quite competitive on low downforce tracks, which is a positive sign for Monza. However, we have to analyse why the car was more competitive and felt better during qualifying yesterday.”

Nick Heidfeld: 5th BMW Sauber F1.09-07 / BMW P86/9
Fastest lap 1:47.371 min on lap 35 (2nd fastest overall)
“Although it is a good result for the team, I have to admit I’m disappointed. From third on the grid I had higher expectations, but I lost the race on the first lap. My thought pattern before the race went back and forth as to whether I should take the harder or the softer compound for the start. The harder was the quicker one but, of course, not the better one for heating up quickly. Because the sun was shining I went for the harder compound, and paid for it. After the start I tried to out brake Jarno on the inside of La Source, but I lost ground because the tyres weren’t warm enough. Up the hill to turn five several cars were in the gravel, including me, and that’s where I lost more positions. Later at my first pit stop I had to lock up the brakes in the pit lane to avoid crashing into Mark, who I was then able to immediately overtake on the track. In the last stint my pace was really good and I closed the gap to Robert. But, even though I was quicker than him, I couldn’t overtake because as soon as you are less than two seconds behind another car you start sliding due to losing downforce in the dirty air.”

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director): “After our best qualifying this was also the best race result of the season. With fourth and fifth we were the only team that managed to get both cars into the top eight, and we scored nine championship points. Nick lost the chance of a podium position on the thrilling first lap. Robert damaged his front wing right at the beginning, but was able to continue. A big compliment to the whole team for this strong performance.”

Willy Rampf (Head of Engineering): “We were all very excited before the start because we expected some action. And this happened exactly as expected. Unfortunately, Nick lost the advantage of his strong starting position in the chicane after the Kemmel straight. After this incident he was able to maintain a very good pace and he finally clinched fifth. Robert had contact with another car right at the beginning and lost part of his front wing. We checked the aero data and decided it would not make sense to bring him into the pits, which turned out to be the right decision. Today’s result is the reward for all our hard work during recent weeks."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:19 am

Italian Grand Prix
11th – 13th September 2009

13th of 17 World Championship races
Preview

The BMW Sauber F1 Team is sensing an opportunity as the drivers and engineers prepare for the Italian Grand Prix. The revitalising effect of the team’s strong performance last time out at Spa-Francorchamps has boosted spirits ahead of the visit to Monza’s legendary high-speed circuit. The 13th race of the season – taking place on 13th September – represents a farewell to Europe, both for Formula One as a whole for 2009 and for the BMW Sauber F1 Team on a permanent basis in its current guise. After the Italian GP, the teams will travel to Asia and South America for the four remaining races on this year’s calendar. At the same time, work continues on securing the future of the Hinwil factory in Switzerland.

Robert Kubica: “The Monza track is a very special one. As it is the quickest track on the calendar, the car’s downforce level will be reduced even more compared to Spa-Francorchamps. Traditionally our cars are quite quick on low downforce tracks and our performance was already good at Spa. I have a good feeling for Monza and I am looking forward to the race as I expect a lot of Italian fans to show up there.”

Nick Heidfeld: “The speed we had at Spa-Francorchamps with lower downforce gives us hope that we could do even better at Monza with even less downforce. However, the cars equipped with KERS will probably have a considerable advantage over the long straights of this high-speed circuit. I really like the atmosphere at the Italian Grand Prix. As well as all the Italians at the track, a lot of fans will also come over from Switzerland to support us.”

Mario Theissen, BMW Motorsport Director: “As the ultimate power circuit, Monza has always provided BMW with a very special challenge. One of our highlights at the track came during the era of the V10 engines in qualifying for the 2002 race, when a BMW engine broke through the 19,000 rpm barrier and the car set a new record average speed for F1 of 259.827 km/h on its way to pole position. Now, even more than before, the main priority lies in maximising reliability, as each driver is only permitted eight engines for the duration of the season. This is an issue at Monza in particular, even though the maximum engine speed is now limited to 18,000 rpm. This circuit commands the respect of drivers and engineers alike in many different ways.

“We are aiming to build on our good results from Spa-Francorchamps – where we were competing at the front of the field for the first time in a long while – in the final race in Europe. Our strong performance in Belgium gave the whole team an extra shot of motivation for the next races, and we are confident that we are getting back into the fast lane once again.”

Willy Rampf, Head of Engineering: “The result at Spa-Francorchamps represented confirmation for the whole team. It was important for all involved to see that our huge efforts over the preceding weeks had paid off. Of course we want to take this upturn in form with us to Italy and post another strong result at Monza.

“This is the last genuine high-speed track left on the calendar. The four long straights mean that keeping the drag level low is crucial, so we run the cars with less downforce here than anywhere else during the season. This involves using a modified front wing and a new and extremely small rear wing. An additional challenge for the drivers and engineers is to give the cars a mechanical set-up which ensures good braking stability and allows the kerbs to be taken aggressively, as this is absolutely essential in setting a fast lap time here. I’m very much looking forward to the race, as there’s always a very special atmosphere at Monza.”

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:07 am

BMW Sauber F1Team
Italian Grand Prix – Free Practice, Friday – 11.09.09

Weather: sunny and dry, 25-27°C Air, 28-38°C Track

The BMW Sauber F1 Team enjoyed a reasonable start to the weekend of the Italian Grand Prix in Monza. Both drivers made good progress during the two 90 minute practice sessions on Friday. The F1.09 has a modified front wing and a special rear wing to lower the drag for the high speed Monza circuit.

1st Free Practice: 11th, 1:24.813 min / 2nd Free Practice: 5th, 1:24.622 min
“We lost quite a lot of time in the morning session due to a problem with the brakes. Fortunately we were able to change the brakes in time and I completed a baseline run at the end of the session. In the afternoon we worked on the set-up of the car and tried to evaluate the tyres.”

1st Free Practice: 5th, 1:24.683 min / 2nd Free Practice: 7th, 1:24.693 min
“The lap times are not bad, especially when you take into account I did my fastest lap in the second session quite early on and even had some traffic. The car’s balance is better than it has been on some other Fridays, but there is still room for improvement. It is challenging to get the balance right for both qualifying and the race. We did the usual tyre evaluation and compared the softer and the harder compounds on long runs. The height of the new kerbs changes the circuit quite a lot, you have to get used to it and look where you can still go over them and which ones you better avoid. At the end of the second session I pitted a few minutes early after I went straight on at the Ascari chicane and wanted to have the car checked.”

Willy Rampf (Head of Engineering): “Monza is the only track where we run the low downforce package, therefore we invested quite some time in the morning to find a baseline for the set-up of the car. On the one hand it’s crucial here not to lose too much time riding the kerbs, while on the other hand braking stability is even more important here than on other tracks. In the afternoon we concentrated fully on race preparation and on the tyre comparisons. We are quite happy with the results on low fuel, however, with higher fuel loads we still have some work to do.”

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:14 am

Italian Grand Prix – Qualifying, Saturday – 12.09.09

Weather: sunny, dry, 24-27°C Air, 31-40°C Track

After promising free practice sessions, the BMW Sauber F1 Team was disappointed in Qualifying: While both Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld consistently improved their lap times, both cars suddenly stopped due to engine failures. Both engines were new. Kubica has qualified 13th for tomorrow’s Italian Grand Prix in Monza, while Heidfeld, who’s engine failed first, was 15th in the session.

Qualifying 13th, 1:23.866 min in Q2
(3rd Free Practice: 10th, 1:23.996 min)
“This is a very difficult situation for me, not only for this Grand Prix but also for the next races. I do not have many engines left. It is also unfortunate for Nick who was very competitive here. Although I was struggling a bit I was quite confident of making it into the final qualifying session. I was struggling a little bit with the car in the first qualifying session, but it was better right from the start of the second one. I managed to do quite a good lap, but unfortunately had traffic for the next two laps. The engine problem makes my position for the final races of the season very complicated.”

Qualifying 15th, 1:24.275 min in Q2
(3rd Free Practice: 3rd, 1:23.490 min)
“It is a real shame having an engine problem after it all looked so promising. We had a good qualifying in Spa where I was third, and in this morning’s free practice I was third again. I was certainly expecting a good qualifying result after the car was quite quick here. Reliability problems are very exceptional for our team and, of course, it is very strange that Robert and I both had problems with two new engines within a few minutes. We will find out what the reason was. Qualifying 15th will make it difficult, but I will not give up and make the most of it.”

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director): “Both drivers were stopped by engine failures in the second part of qualifying. As far as we can see from the data they both had the same problem. The two engines were new, therefore the reason cannot be too much mileage or too high stress. A thorough analysis will only be possible once we have dismantled the engines. Of course, this has a negative effect on our race prospects. We expected good grid positions on this track. Obviously the failures also influence our engine planning for the remaining races of the season.”

Willy Rampf (Head of Engineering): “Our lap times in qualifying were as we expected them to be after this morning’s free practice. Our goal was to get both cars into the top ten qualifying, which was realistic. However, the two engine failures upset our plans. From 13th and 15th in qualifying it will be difficult to score points tomorrow.”

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:16 am

Italian Grand Prix – Race, Sunday – 13.09.09

Weather: sunny and dry, 27°C Air, 38-39°C Track

While Nick Heidfeld came seventh after starting 15th in the Italian Grand Prix, his team mate, Robert Kubica, retired after 15 laps due to a gear box oil leak. After a disappointing qualifying the BMW Sauber F1 Team scored two more championship points.

Nick Heidfeld: 7th BMW Sauber F1.09-07 / BMW P86/9
Fastest lap 1:25.488 min on lap 30 (9th fastest overall)
“I’m totally happy, as for me it was a great race. Coming seventh may not sound fantastic, but from 15th on the grid that really was the best I could do today. The start itself wasn’t good at all, I almost lost positions. But then in the first corner I managed to overtake one car on the outside and then in the chicane I went to the inside to overtake Jarno Trulli. On lap three I overtook Giancarlo Fisichella, which I thought would be impossible because he has KERS on his car. Then when I was behind Sebastian Vettel I started to save fuel. After our pit stops he was behind me, and I was eighth before Lewis Hamilton crashed on the last lap and I benefited by scoring one more point.”

Robert Kubica: Retired after lap 15 BMW Sauber F1.09-08 / BMW P86/9
Fastest lap 1:27.819 min on lap 12 (18th fastest overall)
“I made a very good start and was in quite a good position before the first braking point. I was on the left hand side of Mark Webber. I guess he did not see me at all. Mark pushed me on the grass while I was on the brakes. Although I managed to come back on the track, we touched in corner one. In Roggia he was on the outside and slightly in front of me. When we were going into the first apex unfortunately again I was not able to avoid him. I ended up with a damaged front wing, but am not sure how this happened as it could have been with my fight with Mark or I could have hit a kerb. However, I was able to continue and managed to overtake Sebastian Vettel, despite having the front wing problem. For safety reasons we had to change the wing a couple of laps later. Finally an oil leak forced me to retire.”

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director): “It was a hard race which had a dramatic end because of Lewis Hamilton’s crash. After having bad luck in qualifying, Nick achieved the best possible race result when he managed to climb from 15th on the grid to seventh. In the beginning Robert was even two places ahead of Nick, but then damaged his front wing and was called in for a stop by the race director. Shortly after that he had to retire due to an oil leak in the gearbox. For us the engine situation for the rest of the season is difficult. However we are looking forward to the next race in Singapore before which we will have a huge development programme.”

Willy Rampf (Head of Engineering): “Both Nick and Robert started the race from quite hopeless positions but were able to gain a couple of places at the start. Robert damaged his front wing. For safety reasons we had to call him into the pits and change his front wing. A couple of laps later we diagnosed a gearbox oil leak and Robert had to retire. Nick drove consistently good lap times and was able to move up the grid continuously to eighth. Of course at the end of the day we are happy to score two points."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:23 pm

SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX

25th – 27th September 2009
14th of 17 World Championship races

Preview.

A year ago the first floodlit race in the history of Formula One turned the teams and spectators into creatures of the night. This extraordinary experience has generated a huge amount of anticipation ahead of the second Singapore Grand Prix, which will get underway at 20.00 hrs local time on 27th September 2009. With an agreement now reached with an investor for the sale of the team, the BMW Sauber F1 Team has gained new momentum as the 2009 season heads towards the finishing straight. The F1.09 racers will line up on the grid in Singapore with major aerodynamic modifications, and Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld are looking forward to the challenge presented by the city state’s street circuit.

Robert Kubica: “I am very much looking forward to the Singapore Grand Prix. Everybody knows I am a big fan of street circuits. The track is very challenging; especially the last sector is very twisty with a lot of corners. As the circuit is not a permanent track, the grip level is very poor at the beginning of the weekend but improves from day to day. Drivers and engineers have to anticipate how the track’s grip level evolves set-up-wise and balance-wise. The team will bring quite a big update to Singapore. I hope our car will be more competitive and that we are able to surprise the competition with our pace. Last year the surface was very bumpy, maybe a little too bumpy at some places. Before the initial night session, there were lots of concerns among us drivers regarding visibility which did not prove right. Actually I was very surprised how well the light situation was managed.”

Nick Heidfeld: “I’ve been looking forward to the race in Singapore for many weeks because I know we have some modifications ready for the weekend. Our simulation work has been very promising and the car will look great.
“As I found out last year, it’s practically impossible to overtake in Singapore. After a penalty I had to start from ninth on the grid rather than sixth and, although I had the speed, sixth at the finish was the best I could hope for. Grid position is equally as critical in Singapore as it is in Monaco.
“Last year the special nature of this GP and the atmosphere around it made the race weekend very much the highlight of the season for me. It was something new and genuinely exciting for everybody. And it was great to see the TV pictures and photos afterwards as well; the artificial light changed everything. It wasn’t difficult for me to keep in tune with European time so that I would be in good shape for qualifying and the race – actually it was quite fun. It’s a bit weird to find the whole team still out and about up to three in the morning to keep their body clocks ticking over, but also very entertaining.”

Mario Theissen, BMW Motorsport Director: “The first night race in the history of Formula One last year was a fascinating event and generated spectacular images and an electric atmosphere. Indeed, from an atmosphere point of view, I would say the Singapore Grand Prix is the highlight of the season. The whole feeling around the GP is unparalleled. Last year the tactic of not adjusting to local time but instead keeping our body clocks running to German time paid off. So we’ll do the same thing again this time around. We are looking forward to the whole show and are aiming to go on the attack with our significantly revised car.
“The cause of our engine problems in qualifying at Monza was a quality issue with the valve gear, and this means we can’t use either of the engines again. Both drivers ran their engines from Spa in Sunday’s race at Monza, which leaves them with one more new engine each and several used ones for the remainder of the season. The key question will now be whether these will be enough. If not, we will be forced to use a ninth engine and take a ten-place grid penalty as a result.”

Willy Rampf, Head of Engineering: “Singapore was a highlight in the truest sense of the word in 2008. It was the first ever Formula One night race and turned out to be an undeniably special event. The circuit has an unusually high corner count, so the drivers have no time to relax. Added to which, it was extremely bumpy in places. The organisers have taken this criticism seriously and partially resurfaced the track. The predominantly slow corners place severe demands, particularly on the cars’ traction.
“Following the last major update in Valencia, we will arrive in Singapore with another far- reaching development package. From an aerodynamics point of view, this comprises a new front wing, more deeply undercut sidepods, a further developed double diffuser and a modified rear wing. Added to which, the car also has a totally new gearbox. So, all in all, we are expecting to take another step forward here.”

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:12 am

Singapore Grand Prix – Free Practice, Friday – 25.09.09

Weather: dry, 30-31°C Air, 29-34°C Track, Humidity 63-69%

In the heat of the tropical night the first two free practice sessions for the Singapore Grand Prix took place. The BMW Sauber F1 Team is competing with the biggest development package of the season for the F1.09. The mechanics on both cars had a busy day when they had to change the gearbox on Nick Heidfeld’s car during the first session and a failing gearbox sensor on Robert Kubica’s car at the beginning of the second session.

1st Free Practice: 14th, 1:51.656 min / 2nd Free Practice: 4th, 1:49.098 min
“I really enjoy the track, it is great fun driving here, although it is still bumpy and was extremely dusty. I think our performance doesn’t look too bad, although we had several types of problems in the first session. Besides having to change the gearbox, there was also trouble with the floor and tyre pressures. But for the second session we got several things right. I did my fastest lap quite early on new tyres, and was leading for a long time until some of the other drivers did their runs on new tyres towards the end of the session.”

1st Free Practice: 8th, 1:50.870 min / 2nd Free Practice: 10th, 1:49.609 min
“The track today was very dirty and the grip was poor. There was a lot of dust off the racing line especially at the start of the day, but it was also the same in the second session. The track surface is better than last year but it is still quite bumpy. We had a small problem in the beginning of the second session with a gearbox sensor, but it was fixed quickly and we were able to finish our programme.”

Willy Rampf (Head of Engineering): “We brought a comprehensive development programme for the F1.09 to Singapore. From an aerodynamics point of view, this comprises a new front wing, more deeply undercut sidepods, a further developed double diffuser and a modified rear wing. Added to which, the F1.09 also has a totally new and more compact gearbox. For the drivers it is, of course, a challenge to get used to the heavily modified car. We gained important indications, but are not where we want to be. There is still a lot of work ahead of us. However, this is not unusual if you bring such a large modified package.”

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:22 am

Singapore Grand Prix – Qualifying, Saturday – 26.09.09

Weather: dry, 30-31°C Air, 29-35°C Track, Humidity 58-79%

After a promising third practice session with the BMW Sauber F1 Team drivers coming fifth and sixth, qualifying also got underway very well. Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica both made it into qualifying’s top ten with the significantly developed F1.09. However, they could not get an advantage from the softer tyres because the session was red flagged when both had just started their final attempts.

Qualifying 8th, 1:49.307 min
(3rd Free Practice: 6th, 1:48.526min)
“Although it might appear nice to be in top ten again, as we have had worse results this season, I’m really disappointed. The car had improved and it all looked good in Q1 and in Q2. But in Q3 I could not use the advantage of the softer tyres because of the red flag. I had just started my fast lap and from the early corners it was clear to me it would be a huge improvement, but then Rubens Barrichello crashed and the session was red flagged. In hindsight it would have been better to use the softer tyres earlier, but of course you don’t want to sacrifice the advantage of the track being at its best in the last minutes of the session. That’s bad luck.”

Qualifying 9th, 1:49.514 min in Q2
(3rd Free Practice: 5th, 1:48.501 min)
“Of course our qualifying performance was influenced by the red flag caused by Rubens Barrichello’s accident. I think most of the drivers are in a similar situation. We used the harder tyre compound in our first run of the top ten qualifying. This cost us a lot of lap time – the prime tyres were about two tenths slower just in the first two corners compared to the softer compound. It will be a very difficult race tomorrow. The track is very challenging. It requires lots of traction and braking stability. Also physically the circuit is very demanding as there are a lot of corners and you are permanently fighting with the car. Tomorrow a lot will depend on tyre degradation and possible overheating.”

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director): “Qualifying brought some surprises. In Q1 with 20 cars on the track it was difficult to find a lap without traffic. Both our drivers were only able to get the right time to advance in Q2 on their second try. Also the way from Q2 into Q3 was anything but easy. Positions five to ten were only fractions of a second away from each other. In Q3 we saved our last set of soft tyres for the final run, but this was stopped by Rubens Barrichello’s accident. We were one of three teams today that made it with both cars into the top ten. For us it was only the second time this season we managed this. This confirms the positive trend and the work we all put into the new development package.”

Willy Rampf (Head of Engineering): “Our comprehensive development package made us move a step forward. For the second time this year both our cars made it into the final qualifying session. Anyhow we are not satisfied with our qualifying positions, even though both Nick and Robert will move up the grid one place because a driver finishing in front will be penalized. Both drivers had to cancel their crucial final run in Q3 on the softer tyre compound due to Rubens Barrichello’s accident. Therefore both of them qualified in the final session only on the harder compound.”

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:42 am

Singapore Grand Prix – Race, Sunday – 27.09.09

Weather: dry, 29-31°C Air, 29-33°C Track, Humidity 66-76%

In the second night race in the history of Formula One Robert Kubica finished eighth and scored one point for the BMW Sauber F1 Team at the end of an action packed Singapore Grand Prix. Nick Heidfeld retired on lap 20 when another car crashed into his. This incident ended an impressive run for Heidfeld, as for the past 34 races without a break he has taken the chequered flag, and has been classified as a finisher 42 times in a row. He holds the record for both of these statistics. Heidfeld, who was eighth fastest in qualifying, started from the pit lane. When his car was weighed after qualifying the team found that it was slightly under the minimum weight. The team reported its error with the ballast weights to the FIA. As the team found itself in this situation, it also decided to change the engine and gearbox on Heidfeld’s car. Heidfeld has now used his ninth engine of the season.

Robert Kubica: 8th
BMW Sauber F1.09-08 / BMW P86/9
Fastest lap 1:48.847 min on lap 44 (10th fastest overall)
“This was a very tough race. I was quite unlucky with the safety car period. I lost a couple of positions as I had just refuelled before the safety car went out. On top of this we had a lot of problems with my car’s rear tyre degradation. As a result the final ten to fifteen laps of my stint were very slow and, especially in the final stint, I had to defend my position extremely hard. In the end I must say this was the most difficult point I have scored in my whole life.”

Nick Heidfeld: Accident on lap 20
BMW Sauber F1.09-07 / BMW P86/9
Fastest lap 1:51.346 min on lap 18 (17th fastest overall)
“For me it was clearly Adrian Sutil’s fault. Obviously I saw it from the inside and later also on TV. He had spun backwards and then just drove back onto the track and straight into my car. That’s something you just can’t do. I had no chance to avoid this accident. I was last with a lot of fuel on board. The speed at the back of the pack was very low and, therefore, I started to save fuel very early on as overtaking was impossible anyway. Although my chances were far from promising today, it is still annoying not to finish because of such a stupid incident.”

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director): “That was a lot of hard work for a single point. With Nick starting from the pit lane it was clear he would not be involved in the outcome of the race. Unfortunately eventually he was taken completely out of the race due to an accident which was not his fault. Robert, yet again, was unlucky as the safety car came out just after his first pit stop. Therefore he lost some positions. What we take from this race is the improved performance in qualifying. Now we have to fully exploit the potential of the car.”

Willy Rampf (Head of Engineering): “Nick’s start was very difficult as it was from the pit lane. The accident, which was not his fault, ruined his race early on. Robert lost ground at the start. Later he was not able to fight back as our pace today was bad compared to our qualifying speed. Also Robert suffered from early tyre degradation. In the end he rewarded himself with one point, which he had to fight for really hard in the final laps."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:32 pm

Japanese Grand Prix
2nd – 4th October 2009
15th of 17 World Championship races

Preview. Munich/Hinwil, 27th September 2009.
The mere mention of Suzuka sets drivers’ pulses racing. This fabulous race track offers every type of corner in the book – from the spectacular esses after the start, to the challenging Spoon curve and the tight hairpin, all the way to the high-speed 130R. For three years almost to the day, drivers have had to forego the unique thrills of this circuit while Formula One was hosted by Fuji. 2009 sees the Japanese Grand Prix return to Suzuka this coming Sunday, 4th October.

Robert Kubica: “I am really looking forward to going racing in Suzuka again. The circuit is one of the most exciting tracks to drive on – for me it is one of the best circuits in the world. There are a lot of really challenging high-speed corners, especially the 130R which is really fast. The fans there are fantastic. In 2006 a lot of them in the grandstands stayed at the circuit until very late in the night. They are really passionate and enjoy Formula One a lot.”

Nick Heidfeld: “I’m thrilled that my favourite Formula One circuit is back on the calendar. It will be interesting to see what changes it has in store for us. I know the track has been partly resurfaced, and there’s always the possibility of the forces of nature intervening – we’ve already had an earthquake and a close call with a typhoon. The weather is always an issue and there’s been torrential rain often enough in Suzuka. It’s quite a long circuit, very varied, and it flows beautifully. The first section with its double-apex right-hander and sequence of esses is really superb. But you have to get into the flow properly; if you make a mistake in one turn, you’ll mess up all the rest. “I really enjoy going to Japan. The first time round I didn’t immediately take to it, but since then I’ve become a great fan. I just love the food and the unique atmosphere. I’ll be spending a few days in Tokyo ahead of the race in Suzuka.”

Mario Theissen, BMW Motorsport Director: “It’s one race chasing the next on the home straight of the 2009 Formula One season. Seven days after the night race in Singapore we’ve got the next round in Suzuka, Japan, which completes the back-to-backs in a region that is extremely important for the BMW Group.
“This circuit is one of the most challenging for the drivers, making it a real favourite among them and the fans. A well-balanced car is a must in Suzuka. But it’s a tough track for the engine experts as well: in the ultra-fast 130R turn you get lateral acceleration forces of up to 6g and it’s essential the oil keeps flowing.”

Willy Rampf, Head of Engineering: “With its many fast corner combinations, the Suzuka Circuit is one of the most challenging in the Formula One calendar. The gradients also contribute to making this a true race track. The esses in the first sector are crucial to lap times: you can lose a lot of time there if you don’t follow the ideal line. It’s a unique sector, no other Formula One circuit has anything like it. There’s also the tight hairpin, but the dominant feature are the medium and high-speed corners. It’s a real contrast to Singapore’s city circuit which has more of a stop-go rhythm. That’s why the car’s balance is so important in Suzuka. As for configuration, we’ll be setting the car up with a high downforce level similar to that in Singapore.”

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:35 pm

Japanese Grand Prix – Free Practice, Friday – 02.10.09

Weather: Rain, 21-22°C Air, 21-23°C Track, Humidity 91-97%

Suzuka (JP). Due to rain of varying amounts in both free practice sessions on Friday in Suzuka there wasn’t much to learn about the car set-up. From Saturday on the weather conditions are predicted to be dry. In the morning session at least some laps on Intermediate tyres were possible, but in the afternoon the rain didn’t allow for anything but full wet tyres. Kubica did six laps on them, Heidfeld ten. Both only went out near the end of the session.

1st Free Practice: 15th, 1:42.833 min / 2nd Free Practice: 10th, 1:48.861 min

“It is really good to be back in Suzuka. The track is amazing to drive on. Unfortunately the weather conditions were far from ideal today as we could not run at all in the dry. In the morning we did a couple of laps on full wet and also intermediate tyres just to check the balance of the car. The weather conditions during the afternoon session were even worse than in the morning, as there was really lots of water on the track. Preparing for tomorrow will be a bit of a guessing game, as the weather forecast predicts dry conditions for tomorrow.”

1st Free Practice: 16th, 1:42.977 min / 2nd Free Practice: 17th, 1:50.179 min

“Certainly there wasn’t much to learn today. I feel sorry for the many Japanese fans who stayed out in the grandstands despite the nasty weather but didn’t get much to watch.”

Willy Rampf (Head of Engineering): “This was not a usual Friday. The ongoing rain throughout the whole day forced us to do a minimum programme. With this we only got a set-up for wet conditions. More was not possible today. The next two days should stay dry.”

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:46 pm

Japanese Grand Prix – Qualifying, Saturday – 03.10.09

Weather: dry, sunny, 25-26°C Air, 26-44°C Track

The incident packed qualifying for the Japanese Grand Prix took almost 90 minutes. The second part of qualifying was red flagged twice and in the end yellow flags played an important role. Nick Heidfeld was the only driver from the BMW Sauber F1 Team to make it into the top ten qualifying. In Q3, which was interrupted by another accident, he improved to sixth. Robert Kubica was 13th fastest in the second part of qualifying.

Qualifying 6th, 1:32.945 min
(3rd Free Practice: 12th, 1:32.736min)
“I’m happy with my qualifying performance. I had a really good lap in Q3. I wasn’t too optimistic for qualifying because in free practice this morning I struggled a bit with the set-up and had to go for a compromise. In Q2 I saw the yellow flags and lifted my foot off the pedal and raised an arm to indicate I had reduced speed where I was required to. I was a couple of tenths slower. Obviously it was a very strange qualifying. I have never known one before with so many accidents and I hope Timo is ok.”

Qualifying 13th, 1:32.341 min in Q2
(3rd Free Practice: 17th, 1:32.848 min)
“My qualifying was totally disappointing. All my flying laps in the second session were destroyed by red or yellow flags. In the entire fifteen minutes we were not able to do one quick timed lap. Qualifying for tomorrow’s race in 13th is far from ideal. Suzuka is a fantastic track but overtaking isn’t too easy here. It is how it is. I hope Timo is ok. I wish him all the best.”

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director): “I have not witnessed a qualifying with five accidents despite perfect weather conditions. First and foremost we hope that Timo Glock has not suffered any serious injuries. Several red flags also influenced our qualifying result. In the second session both Robert and Nick had to cancel their quickest flying lap. Nick narrowly made it into the top ten qualifying, while Robert had to retire after the second session. After the final break during the last qualifying session Nick managed to qualify in sixth. This is a good starting position for tomorrow’s race.”

Willy Rampf (Head of Engineering): “It was an incident packed and almost 90 minutes long qualifying with three red flags. The whole operation was handled without any mistakes by our crew. Nick being sixth is in a good position for tomorrow´s race. We are satisfied with that and well prepared for the race. Robert was unlucky when he had to slow down in his last and decisive run in Q2 due to a yellow flag. He lost some valuable time there. We all hope that Timo is not seriously injured.”

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:12 am

Japanese Grand Prix – Race, Sunday

Weather: dry, 25-26°C Air, 35-40°C Track Suzuka

The BMW Sauber F1 Team managed to score points in the fifth consecutive race, but is not happy with the result. Nick Heidfeld started from fourth, but in the Japanese Grand Prix lost two positions due to bad luck and finished sixth. Robert Kubica came from ninth on the grid to finish ninth.

Nick Heidfeld: 6th BMW Sauber F1.09-07 / BMW P86/9
Fastest lap 1:33.600 min on lap 13 (10th fastest overall)
“Today was not our lucky day. I’m very disappointed with this result. Fourth place was within reach but several things went wrong today, especially at the second pit stop when the rear right wheel nut got stuck. But certainly I don’t want to complain. These things can happen and normally we have very good pit stops. That was when I lost a position to Kimi, and I rejoined the race just behind him. When the safety car came out I lost another position to Nico, who was lucky to refuel while the safety car was out.“

Robert Kubica: 9th BMW Sauber F1.09-08 / BMW P86/9
Fastest lap 1:33.334 min on lap 44 (7th fastest overall)
“The entire weekend was unlucky for me. Yesterday I wasn’t able to show my good pace due to the red and yellow flags. Today I was stuck in traffic a couple of times. Furthermore I lost much time at the beginning of the race with a heavy and understeering car. Once the car was lighter and I got into my rhythm I was quite quick. I was then very unlucky with my first pit stop, as after the stop both Kimi and Nick were in front of me. That cost me time. Also after the safety car period I was in traffic. I was stuck behind Jenson. I was quicker than him in the corners, but was not able to overtake as we were missing some top speed on the straights.”

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director): “That was a strong performance from us with a disappointing end. Nick was quick and well on his way on fourth. Then he lost a position during his second pit stop due to a sticking wheel nut. He lost another position during the safety-car-period when Nico Rosberg passed him after his pit stop. Coming in ninth, Robert missed the points by just a small margin.”

Willy Rampf (Head of Engineering): “Today more should have been possible for us. Nick established himself in fourth for a long time. Until his second pit stop, which we did earlier because Kimi Räikkönen was right behind him, everything went according to plan. But during the pit stop a problem occurred which cost us valuable seconds. As a consequence Kimi was able to get by. During the safety-car- period Nick lost another position. Robert lost a position after the start which he gained back later during the race. But at the end it was just not enough to score a point."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:51 pm

Brazilian Grand Prix
16th – 18th October 2009

16th of 17 World Championship races

Preview.

The BMW Sauber F1 Team fell short of its potential at the last two Grands Prix in Asia. The Brazilian GP on 18th October takes place on the challenging Interlagos circuit and provides the next – and penultimate – chance to score a result that will do justice to the comprehensive development work carried out on the F1.09.

The 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix entered the Formula One history books as a real thriller, with the World Championship literally being decided during the final seconds of the nail-biting last race of the season. There is a good chance that Interlagos will again be the backdrop for the title decisions in 2009.

Robert Kubica: “Brazil was the season finale in the past years. With Abu Dhabi new on the calendar, the situation is different this year. The Interlagos track is very nice to drive. Especially sector 1 with the first three corners is quite challenging. Turn 1 is blind and therefore it is difficult to find the ideal braking point there. The final sector goes up a huge hill and consists of a couple of left turns.
“In Brazil we drive anti-clockwise, which is physically quite tough as we are used to driving the other way round. If it rains in Interlagos, driving will be very tricky as there is lots of standing water on the track. So I’m hoping for good weather.”

Nick Heidfeld: “Interlagos is a fantastic and very challenging track. Because you drive it in an anti-clockwise direction, it puts a real strain on your neck muscles. The circuit used to be full of horrible bumps. Having it resurfaced before the 2007 Grand Prix made a huge difference, but by 2008 the track wasn’t as good. I’ll be interested to see what kind of condition it is in now.
“In the last two years we had some exciting championship deciders there, with the weather always ready to tip the scales. There could be a repeat in 2009, even though Brazil isn’t the final race this time.
“I’m in two minds about São Paulo. The churrascarias are really special, and I guess the city has a great deal to offer. On the other hand you hear about all these muggings year after year, which puts you off any major excursions. I’m looking forward to seeing Felipe (Massa) in the paddock again.”

Mario Theissen, BMW Motorsport Director: “It’s the final spurt for the 2009 Formula One season. Brazil marks another traditional circuit on the calendar, whereas in the final race at Abu Dhabi we’ll all be broaching new territory. While in 2008 the BMW Sauber F1 Team was still in contention for both World Championship titles up to the penultimate race of the season, in 2009 it’s a case of making the best of the situation and taking away as many points as we can. The results of the recent Grands Prix show that our development work is bearing fruit: we made it into the points in five consecutive races. Nevertheless, in Singapore and in Japan we fell short of our potential.

“Interlagos is about 800 metres above sea level. Due to the thinner air, all engines lose around eight per cent of their output. This makes the engine wear a little less as the loading on the crank assembly is slightly reduced. That will not only suit our team. Nick will keep running his ninth race engine which was fitted in Singapore, and Robert his eighth also from Singapore. Naturally we want to avoid fitting another new unit, which would mean being relegated ten places on the grid.”

Willy Rampf, Head of Engineering: “Interlagos is one of very few circuits that are driven anti-clockwise. The key stretch is the middle sector, where it’s just one turn after another. Plenty of downforce, good traction and good balance are crucial here. With the car’s set-up you also have to allow for the fact that the air is thin because of the altitude and so the engines lose output. In the final sector particularly, with its steep uphill start/finish straight, high engine output is critical.

“Since the track was resurfaced, it has been a lot less bumpy than before. That makes the mechanical set-up of the cars somewhat easier. The weather can play a decisive role in Interlagos with the likelihood of rain at this time of year being pretty high. Heavy rainfall causes rivulets of water on the track, which leads to aquaplaning. After experiencing compromised race weekends in Singapore and Japan, in Brazil we will do everything we can to fully exploit the potential of our heavily modified car and achieve a correspondingly good result.”