Force India

Formula 1 Team reports for the 2009 F1 season includes race previews, reports and reviews
Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat May 09, 2009 1:48 am

2009 Bahrain Grand Prix Qualifying and Final Free Practice Report

Adrian Sutil (car 20, VJM02/03):
FP3: 14th 1:33.534 (17 laps)
Q1: 16th 1:33.722 (10 laps)

Giancarlo Fisichella (car 21, VJM02/01):
FP1: 19th 1:33.962 (15 laps)
Q1: 18th 1:33.910 (9 laps)

25 April 2009 - The Force India Formula One Team will start tomorrow's Bahrain Grand Prix from its highest grid slot so far this season following yet another ultra competitive qualifying session. Adrian Sutil will line up for the 57 lap race in 16th position while team-mate Giancarlo Fisichella will start from 18th. Adrian was only one tenth from Q2 while Giancarlo was two tenths behind in the team's strongest qualifying performance so far this year.

Adrian Sutil (car 20)
'It was quite a good qualifying but conditions were very difficult out there. The grip was much lower than in free practice in the morning so the balance was not perfect and it was quite hard to go on the limit. I managed a good lap in the end and I think P16 is a good effort so we should be quite happy. There was a little problem with Mark Webber in the last corner: I was just trying to make a gap to Alonso to start my lap and Mark came in on a flying lap, but I didn't know that. I just tried to stay in my position to get a clear start to the lap. It was a misunderstanding and I apologised to Mark after the end of the session.'

NB: Following a Stewards of the Meeting enquiry, Adrian has been handed a three-place grid penalty for impeding Mark Webber. Adrian will now start 19th and Giancarlo moves up to 17th position.

Giancarlo Fisichella (car 21)
'We made a good step forward today and were very close to getting into Q2. I wasn't totally happy about the car balance in the session. It was better on the hard tyres but as soon as I went on the soft tyres the car was much more unpredictable. We made some changes to make it slightly better for qualifying but we still had some inconsistencies. I think that's the reason we couldn't improve the time but anyway we definitely made progress and it was a very good effort from the whole team. Tomorrow we need a good strategy to get to the end of the race but we know our pace is better over a race distance.'

Dominic Harlow, chief race engineer
'We have clearly improved the car for this event and out-qualified one of our closest competitor teams. In this respect the contrast to China is obvious and that bodes well for the race. However we didn't make Q2 and to be so close is tough, of course. The track was the hottest we've seen since 2005 so the cars naturally lost some performance. It will be a hard race tomorrow and we're looking forward to giving our best and to another strong showing.'

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat May 09, 2009 1:48 am

2009 Bahrain Grand Prix Race Report

16th: 1:32:04.350 (+ 1 lap)

Giancarlo Fisichella (car 21, VJM02/01):
15th: 1:32:01.893 (+ 1 lap)

26 April 2009 - The Force India Formula One Team has achieved yet another solid double finish in today's Bahrain Grand Prix. Giancarlo Fisichella brought his VJM02 home in 15th position, with Adrian Sutil under three seconds behind in 16th following a physically challenging race that saw both cars running firmly in the competitive midfield.

Giancarlo gained four places from his starting position on the first lap and had graduated to 12th by his first pit stop on lap 15. The Italian then moved up to 10th and by the midpoint of the race was racing with Webber, Kovalainen and Piquet. Piquet eventually squeezed past on lap 31, but Giancarlo was able to maintain 11th until his second stop on lap 37. He however had increasing discomfort in the closing stages of the race with his seat and he finished the race 15th.

Adrian had a strong race from 19th on the grid. He moved up to 14th in the opening laps and was 11th by his late first stop thanks to an aggressive strategy. A long middle stint allowed Adrian to regain 11th and when he pitted for the final stop on lap 41 he kept ahead of Buemi to finish 16th.

Adrian Sutil (car 20)
'It was a long race, very tough, and the temperatures were very high. Everything was on the limit, the car and myself, but actually it was a very consistent race. At the start of the race I lost three positions in the first lap as Nakajima drove into my car. It was a shame but it was a good race from that point with good pit stops and another finish that keeps the team's good finishing record so far this year. The new upgrades have put us firmly back in the midfield and we can look forward to Barcelona now where we have some more upgrades coming.'

'It was a really tough race here today. The temperatures were the hottest we've had this year and I was really in some pain in the closing stages as my seat was rubbing against my right hip. By the end it was very badly bruised. All the same I think the first part of the race was very strong and I could race with Webber and Kovalainen and then Piquet. In the final laps Massa got past and there was a little contact. I think 15th isn't too bad - we are racing again and I think we can be pleased the overall weekend performance.'

Dr Vijay Mallya, chairman and team principal
'The team has made some very promising progress this weekend. We've introduced a major new aero package that helped move us forward and we raced fairly and squarely in the midfield. Both drivers yet again had very solid races, which shows we have a good foundation for future updates. We can now look forward to Spain and the start of the European season to continue this good form.'

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat May 09, 2009 1:49 am

Spanish Grand Prix Preview
8 - 10 May 2009

5 May 2009 - Following a physically demanding start to the calendar with four races in five weeks, the Spanish Grand Prix from 8 - 10 May marks the start of the more regularised European leg of the FIA Formula One World Championship. Teams will now return to a standard one race per fortnight format, shorter travel distances and the comfort of personalised hospitality units at familiar tracks. With a solid start to the year and further modifications to its VJM02 cars to come, the Force India Formula One Team is eagerly anticipating this next stage of the championship.

Team Q&A
The Spanish Grand Prix marks the start of the European season, where teams traditionally introduce the next stage of developments. Will the VJM02 cars have further upgrades this weekend?
I was very pleased to see the clear improvement we demonstrated in Bahrain as a result of the new diffuser and aero upgrades. To get both cars fitted with the modified floor in such a short time was a major undertaking, particularly from a team with such a limited workforce and budget as Force India. This of course was only the first stage in development and for Barcelona we'll have yet more upgrades coming through based on the information we gained in Bahrain. We'll be running a driver-adjustable front wing flap and a further modification for the front wing. This is just part of our ongoing development cycle and there will be further upgrades at most of the forthcoming races.

Will the team be running KERS in Barcelona as originally planned?
No, we will not be running KERS in Spain. At the beginning of the year, it was our provisional plan to introduce the system for the start of the European season, but we have decided to put the emphasis on aero development where we feel the greater gains can be found. As we've seen many other teams are not running KERS so we do not feel we are at a disadvantage. We still plan to use it later in the season, but this will be reviewed after each race in line with the other work we have going on in the background.

You have said in the past that the European season will be where Force India starts to race. Do you stand by this?
We always said that the first four flyaway races would be extended test sessions and we have indeed used them wisely. We've accustomed ourselves to the new systems, new personnel and new ways of working and introduced some very worthwhile upgrades. We are already racing but we can always improve. We've achieved more than I thought so in this respect I can't stand by the earlier comments - I want more now!

Driver Q&A
Adrian Sutil (car 20, VJM02/03)
How would you review the first four races?
Bahrain was, overall, a good weekend. Qualifying was our best performance yet and in the race both Giancarlo and myself could put in consistent times. The team should be really happy with that weekend. For me personally I am pleased with my start to the season. In the past I have not started well and it's taken some time to get into the season, but straightaway this year we were racing and I've finished three out of the four races. As a team we've been very consistent, the car has felt good and well balanced and we have made some steps forward. There is so much more to get out of the VJM02 and for Spain we will get another upgrade, which hopefully will be enough to stay and race the other cars and maybe even reach second qualifying.

What are your thoughts on the Spanish Grand Prix and the Circuit de Catalunya?
Barcelona is a track we all know really well from the laps we do over the winter. This year I did nearly 1,000km there! This means you can go to the circuit with a set-up that's pretty much ready to go. I like the circuit, it flows quite well, apart from the chicane at the end though, of course. The crowd is always huge as well - it gives you a buzz when you drive round.

What will your objectives for Spain be?
Let's see how the upgrades go. The modifications in Bahrain worked better than we thought and gave us about four tenths a lap, but we have to keep introducing more new parts to just stay with the others. Last time we were racing, but everyone else is moving forward as well so we need to stay focussed and get the most out of what we have.

Giancarlo Fisichella (car 21, VJM02/04)
Giancarlo, the Spanish Grand Prix has been a relatively successful race for you in the past. Is it an event you look forward to?
I enjoy going to Barcelona as it's good to get back to Europe, with the tracks we know very well. I also posted two fastest race laps there in 1997 and 2005, so I feel comfortable on the circuit. Barcelona is itself a nice track. We know it very well as we do a lot of days there in winter testing. There are a couple of interesting corners such as one and two and a few quick corners like turns three and nine. There's a hairpin in first or second gear at turn 10 and at the exit there is quite a lot of wheelspin, which makes it very difficult for the tyres. Unfortunately the new chicane at 14 and 15 disturbs the rhythm of the lap, so it's not as exciting as it was a couple of years ago when the last two corners were very difficult. It's always good to get back to Europe though - a good result there sets you up for the start of the European season.

What would be a good result for you in Spain?
In Bahrain we showed we had a much better car than in previous races but we still need another couple of steps and then we will be able to challenge for points. Last year we had a good race and finished 10th but as we've seen reliability with everyone has been very good so we shouldn't make too many predictions. It's not going to be easy as the others are improving as well, but I think a good result would be top 12.

Force India Spanish GP points of note:

Giancarlo Fisichella has scored two fastest race laps in his career. Both were secured at the Circuit de Catalunya, the first in 1997 with Jordan and the second in 2005 with Renault. He has also finished on the podium once in 2006, again with Renault

Back to the motorhomes: Force India will be using the same motorhome as last season - the three-storey steel and glass structure. Standing 11m wide by 11m long and 9.5m tall, it uses 260 panels of glass and weighs 40 tonnes. It takes ten people three days to erect

Force India brings five trucks to European races, three of which are 'pump up' style double-decker trucks. The first pump up is a mobile gearbox, hydraulics, sub assembly and electronics workspace, the second a spares truck and office space and the third houses IT servers and engineers' offices. The final two trucks take the cars and set-up equipment

Tonio Liuzzi participated in the A1GP championship finale at Brands Hatch on 3 May. The Italian raced his A1 Team Italy car to 10th position in the Sprint race and 9th in the Feature

About the Spanish Grand Prix
The Spanish Grand Prix has changed venues several times over its long history. It was held four times at the Montjuich Park street circuit but safety concerns after the disastrous 1975 event led to its demise, and thereafter the race was held at Jarama and Jerez. The flowing 4.655km Circuit de Catalunya track just outside Barcelona has been the venue since 1991. It was seen as an important part of Barcelona's build-up to the following year's Olympic Games.

The circuit is typical of a high downforce F1 circuit, featuring a mixture of corner speeds and types, but has been neutered somewhat since the last race in 2006 by the addition of a chicane. Now, instead of defined turns 14 and 15, two of the fastest corners on the calendar, there's a new complex that slows the rhythm of the lap.

Nevertheless, the chicane still presents its own challenge with a blind entry and perhaps a better chance to overtake on the following straight. As a result, the circuit is now quite hard on brakes and remains tough on tyres.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat May 09, 2009 1:50 am

2009 Spanish Grand Prix Free Practice Report

FP1: 20th 1:23.536 (19 laps)
FP2: No time set

Giancarlo Fisichella (car 21, VJM02/04):
FP1: 16th 1:23.089 (25 laps)
FP2: 12th 1:22.670 (32 laps)

8 May 2009 - The Spanish Grand Prix, the first European round of the FIA Formula One World Championship, got underway today with two 90 minute free practice sessions. With the 4.655km Circuit de Catalunya well known from the miles covered during winter testing, Force India's programme focussed on gaining more information on the new upgrades introduced this weekend, including a driver-adjustable front wing and further developments on the diffuser, and evaluating the tyre options.

After setting the 16th quickest lap in the morning, Giancarlo Fisichella capped a productive day with the 12th fastest time in the afternoon. Unfortunately however team-mate Adrian Sutil's day came to a premature end after FP1 when his VJM02 developed a problem with the fuel cell and he had to sit out the afternoon practice. The German will however participate in tomorrow's final free practice and qualifying.

Adrian Sutil (car 20)
'Unfortunately in the afternoon we couldn't do any running as there was a problem with the fuel cell and we couldn't make the change in time to get out for the session. In any case we have our information for the set up this weekend from winter testing so I don't think it will be a big problem tomorrow. FP1 was OK, we just tested the tyres available this weekend. We struggled a bit with the soft tyres and I wasn't too happy with the time in the end, but Giancarlo got a lot of running in so we know what direction to take.'

'It's good to run with the adjustable front wing, from my point of view it made things easier. We are still struggling a little with the understeer in the slow speed corners and we need to improve traction in that area but we got through our programme today and could cover a lot of laps. I think we are doing a good job to get the developments through but I think the target now should be just to get to the end of the race and see where we are.'

'Whilst it was a useful day for Giancarlo, Adrian lost the entire FP2 session with a fuel cell problem. It's one of those things that happens very infrequently and, despite working flat out, it was impossible to repair it in time for the second practice. Giancarlo worked on the tyres to compensate for the team's reduced running and was reasonably satisfied with the overall car balance and the data that was collected going in preparation for the weekend.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun May 10, 2009 1:01 am

2009 Spanish Grand Prix Qualifying and Final Free Practice Report

FP3: 19th 1:22.232 (19 laps)
Q1: 19th 1:21.742 (11 laps)

FP1: 17th 1:21.909 (19 laps)
Q1: 20th 1:22.204 (11 laps)

9 May 2009 - The Force India Formula One Team will start tomorrow's Spanish Grand from 19th and 20th positions following a competitive qualifying session at the Circuit de Catalunya on the outskirts of Barcelona. Adrian Sutil will line up for the 66 lap race in 19th position while team-mate Giancarlo Fisichella will start from 20th.

Adrian recorded a 1min 21.742 lap at the end of Q1, an improvement of 0.5secs over the morning time, while Giancarlo completed a best time of 1min 22.204 after getting caught in traffic on potentially his fastest lap.

Both drivers will start the race with slightly unexpected company, directly behind McLaren's Heikki Kovalainen, Bourdais' Toro Rosso and the Ferrari of Kimi Raikkonen.

Adrian Sutil (car 20)
'We knew that this would be a tight session and it was. The balance of my car was OK and I don't think missing the free practice session yesterday put us at a disadvantage, it was just really close out there again. Track conditions were quite good for us, and the grip of the car improved from this morning but we just didn't have enough speed at the end of the day to do any more. But it could be a good race with the people we have around us.'

'I had some problems with traffic on my last lap and felt I could have improved the time. The car felt quite good though, more consistent than in the free practice this morning, and our race pace is always better than in qualifying. With Kovalainen and Raikkonen not far away from us I think the race will be a tough one, but let's see what we can do with the strategy and try and gain some positions.'

'Both drivers found it difficult to get the best from the car in today's qualifying. Adrian drove two good laps at the end of the session and unfortunately Giancarlo found some traffic. Clearly we've some work to do still to improve our qualifying pace on circuits like this. We'll look to be creative with our race tomorrow and make the best of any opportunities that come our way.'

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon May 11, 2009 1:27 am

2009 Spanish Grand Prix Race Report

DNF: Accident (Lap 1)

14th: 1:37:50.740 (+ 1 lap)

10 May 2009 - The Spanish Grand Prix was a day of mixed fortunes for the Force India Formula One Team as Giancarlo Fisichella secured an encouraging 14th position while Adrian Sutil suffered the disappointment of a first lap retirement.

Adrian made a good start from 19th position and had gained four positions into the first corner. Unfortunately through turn three he made contact with Jarno Trulli, who had skewed off line in his own separate incident. Adrian's VJM02 picked up extensive damage and he retired on the spot.

Giancarlo stayed clear of the melee and took advantage of the subsequent safety car period to pit for tyres and adjust his strategy. When the safety car withdrew Giancarlo stayed with the pack and had graduated to 10th by his first pit stop on lap 30. A long middle stint saw him fighting with Kubica, Piquet and Nakajima for 10th, however a problem with the fuel rig during his final stop dropped him to the rear of the field. The rig failed to discharge fuel when connected and Giancarlo was forced to return to the pits on the next lap. The Italian rejoined and continued to set his fastest times in the final 10 laps - including the 8th fastest lap of the race - to finish in 14th overall.

Adrian Sutil (car 20)
'I had a good start but then as I accelerated away from turn three I saw a car flying into me. Jarno had spun on the inside of the corner and he was just in front of me and I couldn't do anything. It went so quickly and my car was damaged and I had to stop straight away. I wasn't injured, just disappointed I couldn't get to the end. I will have a good look at the accident after the race, but it was just one of those incidents that can happen at the start.'

'The first corner was quite messy as Trulli spun in front of me and there was a lot of debris around the circuit. I was a little worried about having picked up some damage but in the end I was out of trouble and didn't pick up anything. We decided to change the tyres under the safety car though and change the strategy, which was a good choice in the end. At the beginning the car was quite heavy and I tried to keep my pace. It wasn't easy but then the car was getting better and in the last 10 laps I was one of the quickest on the circuit. Unfortunately in the last pit stop we had a problem with the refuelling so I had to come in and do another extra pit stop, which cost me the chance to go back ahead of Nakajima. Overall the car balance and grip were good so it's encouraging for future races.'

'Although the result was a fairly average one for us, I think there are positives we can take away. We've kept the upgrades coming through and, while we haven't moved up the order, we certainly are closer than ever. Giancarlo's times in the latter stages of the race also demonstrate a strong race performance and that we've got potential to achieve more. I think we can now look forward to Monaco with some confidence: we have further development coming through and it's also been a good track for us in the past.'

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue May 19, 2009 7:23 pm

Monaco Grand Prix Preview
21 - 24 May 2009

There are 17 Grands Prix on the calendar and they all count for the same amount of points, but one race stands above all the others in terms of pure spectacle, glamour and prestige: the Monaco Grand Prix.

Last year's Monaco Grand Prix was a particularly memorable one for the Force India Formula One Team. While Giancarlo Fisichella celebrated his 200th race start in Formula One, Adrian Sutil raced from the back of the grid to fourth position in the closing stages of the Grand Prix. A canny strategy and a faultless drive from Adrian so nearly yielded Force India's first points, until it came to a dramatic conclusion just four laps from the end when Kimi Raikkonen rear-ended the VJM01 coming out of the tunnel.

Although a similar race performance will be difficult to replicate this year, the team goes to Monaco with hopes of continuing its strong finishing record and take advantage of any opportunities that come its way.

Team Q&A
Throughout the last three races, Force India has sustained a programme of development. Could you sum up the progress made so far and what you have coming for Monaco?
I would say that, for a small team, our rate of development so far has been remarkable. We introduced the new floor and shadow diffuser in Bahrain, plus some major upgrades to the front wing, a further step in Spain and now in Monaco we will have some further changes to the aero package. As Monaco is such a high downforce circuit we'll run a modified front and rear wing, although how much we can introduce is obviously limited by the regulations. I have been very pleased we have been able to get so many major upgrades through so early in the season; that is just one advantage to being a smaller team - we can be more dynamic and adapt to regulations more quickly.

The new parts certainly made the team closer to the field, but didn't necessarily give an improvement in results. What are your thoughts on this?
Clearly we have some work to do in qualifying, but I would beg to differ about the lack of improvement in the race. Giancarlo set the 8th quickest time during the race in Spain, and was competitively racing with BMW, Renault and Williams. We might not yet be in a points' scoring position but I am happy with the rate of progress we are making. We've always said top ten for the first part of the year and then points if and when possible. This race I think, with the improvements we have and the confidence of our drivers around this circuit, we could very well get into Q2 - that should be the aim for now.

What does Monaco mean for you as a team owner?
I think glamour and sport go hand in hand and it's no more obvious than in Monaco. We still intend to put on a good show in Monaco, both from a sporting and commercial aspect. Monaco is a race that is so famous world-wide that almost everybody knows it and wants to come to it, so it is not only important from a team point of view, but from a sponsors' point of view as well. We will be hosting two parties again, as brand awareness is even more important in these days of economic downturn. The days of unlimited budgets are of course gone, and clearly one has to watch that the end justifies the means, but we still believe that these events give 'bang for buck' and are an integral part of why we are involved in F1 as a project.

Driver Q&A
Adrian Sutil (car 20, VJM02/01)
You have become known as a Monaco specialist. How do you feel about this year's race?
It's always nice to go back there, because it's one of my favourite circuits, I like the atmosphere and the whole weekend. It's very special, and it's a nice circuit with good memories for me. Two years ago I was quickest in wet practice and we went even better last year, again in very tricky conditions with rain and a drying circuit. I've had two good years in a row, and hopefully I'll have maybe another one now. But it's always up to the conditions to a certain extent.

How did you feel last year when you started moving up the order and your strategy began to work out?
For sure it was very nice. Every lap I passed the pit I saw one position on my pit board and I thought it's going well. When I was up in the points I thought 'Wow, this is my race!'. When I was in fourth position I was doing fastest laps at that stage in the race, and it was unbelievable. Everything came together, we were on a really good strategy, and it was perfect. When it dried it was the right time to change onto slick tyres. Everything was 100%. Then there was the shock for me and all the team. It was like a dream, or a nightmare actually. You think you're going to wake up, and nothing's happened. It sounds dramatic, but that's how it really was. Still I think it was a very great weekend. I made the most of it, and I was very proud.

What's so special about Monaco for you, why do you feel so at home there?
I just like the circuit layout and since F3 times I've been fast there. It's very narrow, you have to risk quite a lot to be fast, and you have to go very close to the wall all the time. And you have to know the circuit, the different cambers and the tricky areas where you have to be really precise. You can go there and make an impression with a slower car as the driver can have more input, so your motivation is right up. Maybe that's why everything comes together!

This year you've got the most competitive car that you've ever had. Do you really feel that you can get further up the grid?
Potentially yes. I think the field will again be very close together, so every hundredth counts. It could be similar to Bahrain, where we just needed a few hundredths to go into Q2, and I hope to find that on my flying lap in qualifying. I think this is going to be one of our best opportunities to get into Q2.

Would another wet weekend help you?
It always helps us. It's risky, anything can happen. You can have aquaplaning and end up in the wall, like in Shanghai, but it's clear that on average we're in the top 10 in the wet races, so it's much easier for us to score points. That's why I'm always looking forward to a few drops of rain in any race.

The last race in Spain seemed quite encouraging. What is your perspective on it now, 10 days on?
Spain was quite a good race for us. On my first stint, after I changed to the softer tyre, I could fight with Nakajima, Kubica and Piquet and then in the last part of the race I was lapping quicker than anyone else. Overall the car felt good, the pace was quite encouraging and I think we can be pretty pleased with how it went. The front adjustable wing seems to make things easier and with the modifications coming through now I think it looks OK for the second part of the year. If we can qualify better than we have been doing so far, we could get some better results.

Giancarlo, is Monaco an event you look forward to?
Yes, definitely. For me, Monaco is the best track in the world, one of my favourites, as the twisty track itself is phenomenal, the fans are so close to the cars so you get a real atmosphere, and the surroundings are so beautiful. It's certainly the best place for a celebration - I have to hope that we can celebrate a good result on Sunday too! It has given me some good results and good memories as well. Last year I celebrated my 200th race start, I've been on the podium twice in 1998 and 2000 and 2007 was particularly good as I came home 4th when no one was expecting it.

What do you think is possible this year?
Realistically this year points are going to be difficult particularly if it's dry and overtaking is even more difficult. But getting a good result is my target. We have an upgraded aero package that will for sure help us, but the whole race is a lottery so you've got to be lucky too.

Force India Monaco GP points of note:

Giancarlo Fisichella has contested every Monaco Grand Prix since 1996. The Italian has finished on the podium twice, in 1998 with Jordan (2nd) and 2000 with Benetton (3rd). He has also picked up two 5th places (1999 - Benetton, 2002 - Jordan) and was 4th in 2007 with Renault.

Adrian is the current F3 lap record holder in Monaco, which he set in 2005 during the European F3 event when he was team-mate to Lewis Hamilton. Adrian is one of only two drivers to improve his laptime in first qualifying when compared to 2008 at every circuit so far this year. Nakajima is the other driver to do so.

Dr Vijay Mallya's yacht, the 95 metre Indian Empress, will be moored yet again in Monaco's main harbour. The boat is one of the top 10 largest privately owned yachts in the world. Giancarlo Fisichella also has a boat moored in Monaco, the Fizzy.

Monaco requires a significantly different logistics plan to other races due to the layout of the pits and paddock. The motorhome is set up in the paddock on the quayside, with one spares truck next door. As the small size of the paddock prevents more trucks coming in, the remaining four trucks are stored off site, meaning all technicians and equipment are housed in a room above the tiny Monaco garage next to the main 'straight'.

Tonio Liuzzi and Adrian will be participating in the Amber Fashion show on Friday night, the second consecutive year they have modelled unique clothing ranges from various fashion designers.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri May 22, 2009 10:46 am

2009 Monaco Grand Prix Free Practice Report

Adrian Sutil (car 20, VJM02/01):
FP1: 18th 1:19.600 (24 laps)
FP2: 13th 1:16.675 (38 laps)

FP1: 15th 1:19.534 (28 laps)
FP2: 19th 1:17.504 (45 laps)

21 May 2009 - The tiny principality of Monaco nestled between the mountains and the Mediterranean was today jolted from its usual idyll with the opening day of practice in preparation for this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix.

The Force India Formula One Team used the two 90 minute sessions to reacclimatise itself to the unique challenges of the 3.340km twisty street circuit, completing a combined total of 52 laps in the morning and 83 in the afternoon. The day progressed smoothly for the team, with Giancarlo and Adrian both running through the planned schedule of comparisons between the soft and supersoft tyre options available and the evaluation of the VJM02 in its high downforce configuration.

Adrian was 13th quickest in the afternoon, with Giancarlo 19th fastest.

Adrian Sutil (car 20)
'Today was quite a normal practice day. The track was very slippery in the morning and it took quite some time to be able to push for a lap time. The car felt OK, reasonably balanced under the high downforce configuration, but the biggest problem we have at the moment is the rear tyre graining. Both the soft and the supersofts seem to be really bad and after even a medium-length run the graining is so bad it really affects the balance of the car. I am confident we can find a solution for qualifying though - the extra day we have will help.'

Giancarlo Fisichella (car 21).
'Not a bad start to the weekend. We used the morning session to check the set-up and the balance and then completed some longer runs in the afternoon when the track had a bit more rubber laid down. Like Adrian I had some issues with tyre graining, particularly in the last five laps of my longer runs, and the car even felt like it was moving around even when going in a straight line. I didn't feel I got the best lap time today and there is certainly more to come.'

'A typical Thursday's practice in Monaco with the circuit starting at low, low grip and beginning to rubber in by the end of FP2. The programmes ran smoothly for both cars apart from Giancarlo catching some traffic at the end of the afternoon. Adrian produced a good lap, and our balance is not too far away. We will work hard on analysing that data over the coming turnaround day, with a particular eye on maximising the rear tyre life in the race. With these roads open to the public tomorrow afternoon the circuit will be almost back to square one for Saturday morning, but we can expect further improvement before qualifying.'

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun May 24, 2009 12:31 am

2009 Monaco Grand Prix Qualifying and Final Free Practice Report

FP3: 12th 1:16.228 (20 laps)
Q1: 15th 1:16.248 (12 laps)
Q2: 15th 1:16.545 (7 laps)

FP3: 14th 1:16.317 (29 laps)
Q1: 13th 1:16.063 (10 laps)
Q2: 13th 1:16.146 (8 laps)

23 May 2009 - The Force India Formula One Team today enjoyed its best-ever qualifying performance in preparation for tomorrow's Monaco Grand Prix. For the first time since its World Championship debut in 2008, two Force India VJM02s made the cut for Q2. Giancarlo Fisichella will start the race in 13th position - his best starting position since the 2008 Italian Grand Prix - and Adrian Sutil from 15th, his highest-ever grid slot.

Adrian and Giancarlo were out on track early in Q1 and were well-placed to pass into Q2 when the session was stopped to remove Lewis Hamilton's McLaren that had stopped out on track following an brush with the guardrails. On the restart both Force India drivers then found gaps in the traffic to post their quickest laps, a 1min 16.248 for Adrian that placed him 15th and Giancarlo a 1min 16.063, the 13th quickest time.

In the second session both drivers completed two runs of two laps each. Giancarlo's quickest, 1min 16.146, put him 13th, three tenths from Q3, while Adrian's 1min 16.545 was 15th quickest.

The 78 lap race will start at 14:00hrs tomorrow.

Adrian Sutil (car 20)
'A very good qualifying for us, with two cars into Q2 for the first time ever. It feels a bit like a pole position for us, and it was fun to be able to do it. Everything came together, the team did a good job in the garage and I felt my lap was strong. It was difficult to do, with the traffic and then the stoppages, but it was a good run for us. Tomorrow I hope we will be able to fight in the midfield and try to get ahead of some people. The start could be a bit tricky, as it always is here, but I feel all set for tomorrow. We are really motivated now and are hoping for a good race.'

'I think we can be really satisfied and very happy with the performance today. The team worked well and two cars in the top 15 is good: very encouraging. We did a good job together, we still have some work to do but the result shows we're going in the right direction. For tomorrow I want to get to the end of the race and let's see - this is Monaco, you never know what can happen.'

'A good feeling to have opened our account for Q2 this season with both cars here in Monaco. The whole team has worked very hard for this event both at the factory and the circuit, and together with calm performances from the drivers in a hectic session we have showed some genuine performance. Q2 itself was tougher as the circuit improvement slowed, but points are realistically possible from where we will start tomorrow and we'll be doing our best to make this opportunity stick.'

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon May 25, 2009 2:29 am

2009 Monaco Grand Prix Race Report

14th: 1:41:31.730 (+ 1 lap)

9th: 1:41:49.322 (+ 65.040 secs)

24 May 2009 - The Force India Formula One Team enjoyed its most competitive race performance to date in today's Monaco Grand Prix. Giancarlo Fisichella finished a fighting 9th position, just 1.8secs from eighth and and one point, and the final driver to be on the lead lap at the end of the race. Adrian Sutil passed the flag in 14th place.

Giancarlo drove a faultless race to gain four places on his starting position. From the early stages of the race he participated in a close-fought battle with Sebastien Bourdais for the final points' scoring position. Giancarlo, who started the race on the harder Bridgestone tyre compound, closed to within one second of the Frenchman during his first stint and remained within two seconds for the remainder of the race. The tight street circuit however provided scant opportunity to overtake and Giancarlo crossed the line in his slipstream.

Adrian started the race on the supersoft tyre option, but excessive graining in the early stages of the race forced an early pit stop on lap 11 to change to the harder compound. He dropped to the rear of the field and unfortunately then got caught with blue flags and traffic. Despite keeping pace with Hamilton in front of him, following his second stop on lap 49 he fell further behind to finish 14th overall.

Adrian Sutil (car 20)
We had started on a one-stop strategy, which would have been OK but we used the supersoft tyre from the start and they grained up very quickly. I had to pit and lost a lot of time there. That was it really - it was hard to come back from this. In the end I was doing some quick laps and had quite a good pace, so there are some positives and we can be happy at some aspects. There is more to come from us for sure.

Ninth position is a great result for the team. The pace was very good and consistent and I felt I was driving well, taking care of the tyres and putting in some fast laps at the same time. I just lost a position at the start and perhaps it was this that cost me the point in the end, but we have to be happy about today. It was a great step forward, to get two cars into Q2 and then to get within two seconds of a point. We need to keep pushing and be there all the time now.

This has been a very encouraging weekend all round. We got two cars into Q2 and finished within a whisker of the points; and all on merit. We've incremented our performance and raced it well this weekend, and we know we have more upgrades in the pipeline, which is a great motivating factor. I would like to say thank you to both drivers for keeping focussed and pushing so hard and to the entire team at the track and at the factory for keeping the momentum going. If we continue on the path we have now laid before us, I am certain we'll achieve the success we all deserve.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:45 pm

Turkish Grand Prix Preview
5 - 7 June 2009

The Turkish Grand Prix, held at the Istanbul Park circuit from 5 - 7 June, will be the seventh event on the 2009 FIA Formula One World Championship calendar. The Force India Formula One Team travels to this next event in Istanbul fresh from its best-ever race weekend performance at the last round in Monaco. Giancarlo Fisichella and Adrian Sutil put both VJM02 cars through to Q2 for the first time and consolidated the result with a solid finish. Giancarlo was less than two seconds from scoring Force India's first points in the race while Adrian came home in 14th overall.

Team Q&A

How would you review the last round of the championship in Monaco?
I think we can be very happy with our showing in Monaco. All weekend it was a great team performance. Following a lot of hard work back at the factory, we ran a constructive, comprehensive programme during free practice and got the timing exactly right to have a superb qualifying. I would have been delighted with one car in Q2, but to get two was a dream. It then continued into Sunday's race where Giancarlo was so close to that eighth place. I was so proud of everyone and it's certainly very encouraging for the rest of the season.

Were you disappointed not to have been there in person to see the race?
I know much has been made of the fact I was not in Monaco to see the result, but as I have always said, I believe in giving people the means and the responsibility to autonomously carry out their tasks to the best of their ability. I think this weekend shows I have capable, confident people in the right positions and I do not need to be there looking over their shoulders. I can assure you however I was 100% behind the team and was very quickly on the phone to celebrate!

Can we expect a similar showing in Turkey?
The result has had a great motivation on the team and the drivers - we just need that little bit more. We have some new development items coming through, such as new front wheel spinners and a small modification for the rear suspension, plus the rear wing we ran in Monaco will also undergo some slight changes to suit the downforce level in Istanbul. However the main thrust of the upgrades will come through in Silverstone now, so our aim for Turkey should be to keep the momentum we picked up in Monaco going and consolidate our form rather than wholesale improvements.

Driver Q&A
Adrian Sutil (car 20, VJM02/01)
How was your Monaco Grand Prix weekend?
For me personally, I think it was a little bit up and down. I was pleased to make Q2 for the first time and was really looking forward to the race, but the end result was a little disappointing. When I had to come in for the harder tyres it was always going to be tough as I dropped to the rear of the field and then got stuck in the traffic. I could do some good laps at the end though and had a good battle with Lewis for some of the race. For this part we can be quite happy. We have a competitive pace and I think Giancarlo showed that we are getting stronger all the time.

What will your aims in Turkey be?
The main upgrades will now come in Silverstone so we have to be quite realistic about the performance this weekend. We have to keep pushing and try to have another strong qualifying that sets us up for the race. I enjoy the track and you can actually overtake in some corners so I hope we can have some good fights and be able to move up the field. I think we're solid midfield contenders now so we have to get to the finish and see where we are.

Monaco was a great event for you. What are your feelings on this now, looking back?
The whole weekend was actually very good. We always hoped we'd have a good showing there as we had some development and I have had some very good results at the track before. Getting into Q2 was a big achievement and, as a team to get two cars through was even better. In the race I felt good, I could push and put pressure on Bourdais. Perhaps at another track I could have found a way past, but it was too tight in Monaco. But we can be happy with ninth, it's our best result on track so far this year.

Who would you say are your closest rivals now?
Looking back at Monaco, I would say we have more or less the same speed as Toro Rosso and Williams. It was a surprise to see BMW and Toyota on the back row and racing behind us, but they are strong teams with a lot of resources and you wouldn't count them out for long.

What are your thoughts on the next round in Turkey?
I quite enjoy Turkey. It's a very physical track, you get lots of adrenaline when you drive there with the gradient changes and I have had some good results, including a fourth in 2005. We don't have a lot of new development coming through for this race though so it is going to be a tough one but once again we need to keep pushing. I'd love to get into Q2 again but we will know more about where we stand after Friday.

Force India Turkish GP points of note:

The Turkish Grand Prix is the furthest that the team's trucks will travel this year - more than 3,000km from Force India's Silverstone base. As there was not enough time between the Monaco Grand Prix and the Turkish event for the trucks to return to the UK, they went from Monaco to Trieste, Italy, by road and then onto Istanbul by sea. As such, Force India packed for a 'double header'.

Giancarlo has competed in every Turkish Grand Prix held so far. He finished fourth in 2005, sixth in 2006 and ninth in 2007 (all with Renault). Unfortunately in 2008 he was taken out within metres of the start in a crash with Kazuki Nakajima.

Last year Adrian had a tough race to finish 16th and was 21st in 2007.

Force India has had a very good reliability and finishing record so far this season. Of the 12 possible finishes so far this year, the team has been classified on 11 occasions. Only championship leaders Brawn GP have a perfect record, and second-placed Red Bull Racing are equal on number of finishes to Force India.

Turkish Grand Prix information
The challenging 5.338km, 14-turn Istanbul Park track is the first anti-clockwise circuit of the year, a thrilling combination of undulating straights, dramatic gradient changes - where over the course of a lap elevation varies by almost 46 metres - and long sweeping bends. Popular with teams and in particular drivers, who relish the challenging turn eight, basically four corners taken on the same line at around 250kph, and the two long straights where cars can reach up to 330kph.

The race was introduced to the series in 2005. Designed by circuit constructor Herman Tilke, his fourth F1 venue to be designed from scratch following Sepang, Bahrain and Shanghai, the track stands on the Asian side of the Bosphorus. The Grand Prix also marks the first time the championship has returned to the Asian continent since the Bahrain Grand Prix back in April.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:11 am

2009 Turkish Grand Prix Free Practice Report

FP1: 12th 1:29.864 (22 laps)
FP2: 17th 1:30.081 (33 laps)

FP1: 18th 1:30.729 (22 laps)
FP2: 18th 1:30.091 (38 laps)

5 June 2009 - The Force India Formula One Team's preparations for Sunday's Turkish Grand Prix got underway today at the Istanbul Park Circuit, as Adrian Sutil and Giancarlo Fisichella participated in the two opening free practice sessions.

With the track seldom used for racing activities over the course of the year, both drivers concentrated their running on the second session when more rubber had been laid down. Adrian and Giancarlo completed just 22 laps each in the morning with the focus on evaluating the harder tyre compound available this event. Adrian's best lap, 1:29.864, was the 12th fastest and less than a second from the quickest of the session. Giancarlo recorded a 1:30.729, which put him 18th.

In the afternoon session, the focus switched to gathering more information on the balance and handling of the VJM02 with the new aero upgrades introduced this weekend, including a modified rear wing and rear suspension and amended front wheel spinners. Adrian was 17th and Giancarlo 18th fastest.

Adrian Sutil (car 20)
We had no problems on the car today and everything worked well, but the grip level was not good out on the circuit. It was a bit dusty, and the tyres were very difficult to come to terms with, it didn't seem like we had enough grip. We struggled to get in a reasonable lap time and we were always doing the same time regardless of which tyre compound we were on. We now have to see what we are going to do but it may be different when the circuit has a bit more rubber down.

The balance was not so good at the beginning of this morning's session as the car was a bit too pointy and nervous, but we went in the right direction and made some positive steps. Then this afternoon on the long run on harder tyres we were quicker but unfortunately I couldn't time a better time on the softer tyres as I had the coming together with Nakajima through turn 12.

We were expecting quite a contrast today from Monaco as the circuits are very different, with Istanbul being much more fast and flowing circuit, and that is what we found. The grip was quite low and the balance of the cars a little knife edge and we've some work to do to improve that for tomorrow. Our tyre evaluation today collected the data that we need and it will be interesting to see how things evolve now as it warms up over the weekend. The VJM2 ran reliably and the team worked hard to maximise our track time today.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:19 pm

2009 Turkish Grand Prix Qualifying and Final Free Practice Report

FP3: 16th 1:29.050 (18 laps)
Q1: 15th 1:28.278 (11 laps)
Q2: 15th 1:28.391 (7 laps)

FP3: 20th 1:29.421 (17 laps)
Q1: 19th 1:28.717 (9 laps)

6 June 2009 - The Force India Formula One Team secured a place in Q2 for the second consecutive event in qualifying for this weekend's Turkish Grand Prix. Adrian Sutil will start the race from 15th position for the second time this season following a brilliant opening session. Giancarlo Fisichella was unfortunately eliminated in Q1 and will line up for the 58 lap race in 19th.

Adrian completed two flying laps early on in Q1 and set his best time, 1:28.278, on his second run. Although he did not better the lap on his final outing, it was enough to make the grade for Q2, just over a tenth quicker than 16th placed world champion Lewis Hamilton. In the next session Adrian completed his initial laps on harder tyres before switching to the soft option for his final run. He set his quickest lap, 1:28.391, in the close of the session to end the day classified 15th, just a tenth from Heikki Kovalainen.

Giancarlo had a good start to the qualifying but was unlucky to miss out on a quicker lap when he had to abort his final - and potentially fastest - lap due to a yellow flagged corner. The Italian lines up 19th sandwiched between the two Toro Rossos.

Adrian Sutil (car 20)
It was a really good qualifying session for us and I am very happy with the 15th place and Q2 again for the second race in a row. We didn't expect it as we had a few little issues in the weekend so far but we managed a good lap when it mattered. I am happy for the team and I think we can be really proud right now. I'm looking forward to a good race now tomorrow, we'll see what we can do.

I have had a problem with the brakes today and have had some front locking since this morning, but we made some changes between FP3 and qualifying that helped. Then unfortunately on my best lap there was a yellow flag as Piquet had spun and I had to lift off and couldn't get the time back. It was possible to be in the top 15, but there you go - sometimes it goes for you and others not. For sure the soft tyres are going to be a bit tricky tomorrow, especially in the heat, but I hope we can have a good race from where we are on the grid.

We're obviously very pleased to be in Q2 for the second event in a row with Adrian. He simply drove a very good and clean qualifying and showed how much our performance is improving now. Giancarlo had a brake system problem this morning that was still causing some consistency issues in qualifying and we need to look carefully at this before the race. He is also clearly fast enough to race in the midfield. A hot race is forecast with another different tyre performance scenario likely and we are looking forward to it.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:00 am

2009 Turkish Grand Prix Race Report

17th: 1:26:46.214 (+ 1 lap)

DNF: Mechanical (Lap 4)

7 June 2009 - The Force India Formula One Team's Adrian Sutil has finished a hot and physically demanding Turkish Grand Prix in 17th position. Giancarlo Fisichella unfortunately retired on the fourth lap of the race as a result of a brake problem he had been suffering most of the weekend.

Adrian had a competitive first stint on the hard tyres and had moved up to 11th before his first stop on lap 20. Remaining on the hard tyres for the second part of the race, Adrian held station just behind McLaren's Heikki Kovalainen and kept Rubens Barrichello at bay until his second and final stop on lap 36. The German switched to the soft tyre for the remaining part of the race to finish 17th.

Force India will now look forward to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone - just opposite the team's factory - where a new aero upgrade is anticipated.

Adrian Sutil (car 20)
Perhaps we had hoped for more from 15th on the grid. I lost a couple of places at the start but was able to get them back quickly. The race pace was quite good though and I could have some exciting battles on track with a McLaren and a Brawn, which was great. It was not a real problem with Barrichello: he touched me once through a corner but I was just defending position. It was an interesting race, the car balance and the race pace were pretty good. Only the result was not as we would have liked, but it's been quite a positive weekend overall.

I have had a few problems with the braking this weekend. We changed all the brake systems to see if it made any difference but it was actually worse today as the car was almost completely locked. I had a good start and in the beginning of the race I was quite competitive with the cars around me but then unfortunately the brake pedal was getting longer and longer and we decided to come back in to the pits. We tried to see if we could get back out again but in the end it was very risky and we had to retire. It's a shame as I enjoy this race but I've just had terrible luck at the track!

I think we hoped for slightly more from this race, but the overall weekend performance has consolidated the steps forward we took in Monaco. We've got through to Q2 for the second race in a row and Adrian drove a very competitive race, particularly on his first and second stints. Unfortunately Giancarlo retired very early on with a brake problem he had had during several of the earlier sessions. We can be encouraged by this team performance however and also in the knowledge that we have some significant upgrades coming through for Silverstone in a couple of weeks' time.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:02 am

British Grand Prix Preview
19 - 21 June 2009

The British Grand Prix from 19 - 21 June marks the halfway point in the 2009 FIA Formula One World Championship. The race is held at the historic Silverstone circuit in the heart of England, right opposite Force India's HQ. As such, the British Grand Prix is seen by many personnel as the team's 'home' race. Following a solid Turkish Grand Prix, which saw the Force India Formula One Team enter Q2 for the second consecutive round, the team will be looking to continue its progress at Silverstone with the next stage of its aero development programme.

Team Q&A
Halfway through the season now, how would you review the team's performance so far?
I'm very pleased. I think we've shown excellent progress, and in this sport, which is so competitive, it's unreasonable to expect some miraculous results. We made Q2 in Monaco, we made Q2 again in Istanbul, obviously not by chance, but on merit and that is a huge step forward. Now we've had two in a row, and hopefully with a new upgrade to come in Silverstone we should make Q2 going forward for the rest of this season, and without too much difficulty. We're not quite in the points yet, but we're a good midfield competitor. I always said that the idea would be to get some points this year, be regularly in the points next year in 2010. And I've talked about podium finishes in 2011 to coincide with the Indian GP. I think I'm pretty much on track!

How frustrating is it not to have scored points - your ultimate aim - this year?
It's so competitive now, and being so close is just part of the game. I would have loved to have had a point. We were just one place away in Monaco and also Australia, but there's always the next race. One has to move on. Turkey was race number seven, there are still 10 more to go, and we're not even half way through the season, although it seems like that with all the activity that is surrounding Formula One.

Silverstone is traditionally where teams introduce the next stage of development. Does Force India have anything in the pipeline for this event?
Yes, we have a fairly large upgrade scheduled for this weekend. We will introduce changes to the front wing, bodywork and floor with one or two detail updates elsewhere as well. It's a significant step forward and I am very pleased that the team has been able to explore, build and then get this on the car before the summer break. Our rate of development has, I would say, been quite impressive given the small number of people and the limited budget we have available and I hope the overall package will take a step forward this weekend.

Is Silverstone a special race for the team?
Absolutely, the home team is playing on the home ground! Because it's home to us Silverstone is special, and we're unveiling a new package for Silverstone. And hopefully we'll get the improved performance out of the car and get to Q2 without difficulty. The World Twenty20 is on as well, so all my cricket friends are in the UK. Kevin Pietersen will probably attend - as you know he plays for my team. There will be a lot of people from India and South Africa, so I am looking forward to a good mix of all my business interests!

Driver Q&A
Adrian Sutil (car 20, VJM02/03)
Apart from the German Grand Prix, does Silverstone feel like a home race for you?
For sure. The team is based about 400m from the main gates and Silverstone feels like a second home to me now as I go there so often. The race is a very special one, not just because it's the home race, there is something about the atmosphere that has a buzz unlike anywhere else. The British fans love their motorsport and it's not just for Lewis or Jenson, you really feel their enthusiasm for the sport in general. The track is also a very good one. It's very fast and there are some great sections such as the Copse to Maggotts section that you have to take quickly but be gentle on the gas and on the brakes - I know, I've had some offs there in the past! The final complex slows the lap down a bit and you lose your rhythm slightly but the final turn on Woodcote can be tricky to get right. The walls are very close!

What are your aims for this race?
We have a new aero package at Silverstone and I am really looking forward to driving it. We've looked at the numbers back in the factory and it shows a clear improvement so I am keen to get my hands on it and really try and mix it up in the midfield. I had quite a good race in Turkey and could fight with both the McLarens and also a Brawn so just a little bit more performance could see us in the hunt for points. But it's so competitive out there we have to be right on top of our game right through from free practice.

Silverstone often has changeable weather. Would this be an advantage?
Last year the rain was really bad but it didn't go in our favour! But generally speaking we do seem to perform well when the conditions are mixed. If the race in Malaysia hadn't been stopped I think I could have been well placed as we had stopped for the right tyres and were fuelled to the end, and then of course we had a great race in China. But regardless of the conditions you've got to perform and we've shown we can be competitive in the dry as well. I don't want to be sitting waiting for the rain at every race.

The Turkish Grand Prix was a disappointing outcome for you. Are there any positives you can take from it?
Turkey was just one of those races. We'd been struggling with a brake problem for most of the weekend and changed all the systems to see if it made any difference. Unfortunately on the way to the grid the car started locking up and we had to make some more changes on the grid. The repairs made some improvements but then three laps into the race the front was locking again and I couldn't get the maximum power on the straight. We came into the pits to try and fix it again but in the end it was too risky to continue. I haven't had good luck at Turkey for the past three years! For these reasons it's hard to be very positive about my weekend as it was a bit frustrating, but as a team we've continued to move forward. Adrian got into Q2 and perhaps I could have as well if I hadn't had the brake issue and we're clearly racing with the field. That's a clear step forward from last year.

Silverstone is the team's home race effectively, being so close to the factory. Do you think of this race any differently?
Silverstone is such a historic track and the atmosphere is always great that racing there is always a special feeling, but for sure I do feel something more now I'm with Force India. The whole team work so hard and quite often for little reward in terms of points and results, that I really hope I can put on a good show while they can see it. With the new upgrades coming through I'm pretty confident that would be possible.

Do you enjoy the circuit?
For me, it's one of the best circuits of the year. The first part of the circuit, from Copse to Becketts is very high speed, taken nearly flat. We slow down just a little bit at the end of the pit straight, then we go flat again. We lift the throttle pedal just a little for four at the middle of the complex and then back on it again for five. Even turn seven, Stowe, is another nice, quick fourth gear corner before a hairpin in turn eight, Vale. Through Club it's quite difficult as the car is sliding around on four wheels, with the rear end very nervous. Under the bridge is now quite easy, but a few years ago it was much more difficult. The last corner through the complex is typically understeer but you need to have a good exit as then you're across the start finish line. If this year will be the last race at Silverstone, I'll be sad to see it go.

Force India Silverstone GP points of note:

Force India will be hosting a darts evening in conjunction with its sponsor Whyte & Mackay. Bobby George, the legendary British darts champion, will be throwing some arrows in the Force India motorhome on Saturday night.

Force India is the one of six F1 teams that can claim the British GP as its home race, but it's the only team for which the description is literally true, since the factory is located opposite the main gate of the Silverstone Circuit. The team has been based at Silverstone since it was first launched as Jordan Grand Prix, and moved into the current facility on December 19, 1991. The team's wind tunnel is just 12km down the A43 in Brackley.

Given the team's proximity to the circuit, most team members will stay in their own homes and commute to the factory as they would during a normal working week. Minibuses then shuttle the race team from the factory to the circuit at set times in the early morning.

Giancarlo Fisichella has raced in 13 British Grands Prix and finished in 11 of them, representing an impressive 85% finishing record in this event. Only Rubens Barrichello has more Silverstone starts than the Italian in the current F1 field.

Adrian Sutil has bettered his 2008 qualifying times in each of this season's qualifying sessions. He is the only driver in the field to do so this year.

Adrian has competed in two British GPs. Unfortunately he has yet to finish the race - in 2007 he retired with an engine failure and in 2008 was caught out by the soaking wet track.

British Grand Prix information
Silverstone has one of the richest histories of any current Grand Prix venue. The circuit holds the prestigious accolade of being the first-ever venue for a Formula One race in the official world championship, the 1950 British Grand Prix. Back then, the circuit was a real speed-fest run on an airfield with long, long straights separated by corners that demanded only marginally less speed.

The circuit then underwent numerous modifications and until 1991 was still one of the fastest on the calendar with the demanding Copse, Stowe and Club corners. It was here in 1985 that the fastest ever qualifying lap was recorded; Keke Rosberg set an average speed of more than 250kph over one lap, a record that stood for 16 years.

The circuit was modified to its current 5.141km configuration in the late 90s. It's still fast and flowing, particularly the Becketts complex that starts with a 290kph bend, although the Luffield complex does lose the rhythm just before the end of the lap. A medium downforce track, it's essential to get a well balanced car for stability through the medium and slow speed corners.