Toyota Racing

Formula 1 Team reports for the 2009 F1 season includes race previews, reports and reviews
Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:33 pm

Singapore Grand Prix - Preview
Monday 21 September 2009

Date: Sunday, 27 September, 2pm CET
Round: 14 of 17
Venue: Marina Bay Street Circuit
Distance: 5.067km (61 laps)
Lap record: 1min 45.599s (2008)
History: Last year marked the first time the Singapore Grand Prix had been part of the Formula 1 World Championship, but a Formula Libre race with that title ran from 1966-73.

Panasonic Toyota Racing travels to south-east Asia and Formula 1's only night race, the Singapore Grand Prix on the Marina Bay Street Circuit. Sessions in Singapore take place at night, with qualifying beginning at 10pm and the race at 8pm local time so over a thousand lighting projectors are used to ensure full visibility. The team got its first experience of a Grand Prix under lights last year, when Timo Glock finished fourth after Jarno Trulli's podium challenge ended with hydraulics trouble. This weekend Jarno and Timo will have an upgraded TF109 at their disposal following the introduction of the team's final new package of the season, which features updates to the front wing and the rear end, including the rear wing. The drivers will put these improvements, as well as the soft and super soft Bridgestone Potenza tyres, to the test when practice begins on Friday. After missing out on the top eight in the Italian Grand Prix, the team is determined to start the final flyaway leg of the season with a return to the points under lights in Singapore this weekend.

Jarno Trulli (Car 9): "Singapore is a unique race for us as the only night race and it is quite an interesting experience. I hope we can be competitive there, especially as we have some improvements to the car. The team has pushed hard all season to introduce new parts and it's great to have upgrades even as the season is coming to a close. It's not possible to predict exactly how we will perform until we have driven the track again but I am optimistic we can be competitive again in Singapore. I was really unlucky last year when a technical problem prevented me finishing on the podium. It was a really tough race on a heavy fuel load, especially in hot conditions and over the bumps, so it was frustrating not to get a result. This year I am determined to make up for that. To be honest I would rather race in daylight because the light levels change around the track but a night race is good for the spectators and there was a nice atmosphere last year so I am looking forward to this weekend."

Timo Glock (Car 10): "I really enjoy racing at night because it is a great show for the fans and last year was just an unbelievable event. You need to get used to driving under lights but for me the visibility was fine, it's just a very strange thing is to be arriving at the track early in the afternoon and leaving again at 4am. I like the Singapore track; it is good fun to be driving past some famous buildings at night and the chicane at turn 10 is a nice challenge because you cannot afford to make any mistake. It's a typical street circuit and last year it was pretty bumpy which made it tough for the drivers, but they have worked on that. I had a great race there a year ago so I hope we can repeat that kind of result. It's hard to know what to expect considering we have some improvements on the car this weekend but I hope we will make a step forward. We are still pushing as hard as ever so I can't wait to get back on track."

Pascal Vasselon, Senior General Manager Chassis: "Singapore last year was a complete success and I was very impressed. The place is fantastic and the new experience of a night race was a great one for everyone involved. It was an unforgettable event. The circuit itself is high downforce and the drivers play a key part because you have a lot of corners, 23, and it is extremely important for a driver to find the right rhythm without touching the barriers. Another factor to consider with Singapore is that it is extremely hard on brakes so we have to be careful in that sense. But the main characteristic we discovered last year was that the track was incredibly bumpy, which made it a priority to set-up the suspension to deal with the bumps. There has been some resurfacing so we will see if that reduces the problem. We will bring some upgrades to our car for this race and in fact Singapore will be the last package of improvements to the TF109. These will be validated on Friday and we
expect them to help us make a step forward."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:00 am

Singapore Grand Prix - Free Practice Round-Up

Jarno Trulli (Car 9, Chassis TF109-06)
1st Practice: 16th, 1m 52.135s, (+1.956s) 20 laps
2nd Practice: 13th, 1m 49.795s (+1.145s), 29 laps

Timo Glock (Car 10, Chassis TF109-05)
1st Practice: 15th, 1m 52.083s (+1.904s), 20 laps
2nd Practice: 8th, 1m 49.342s (+0.692s), 30 laps

Panasonic Toyota Racing drove into the night when practice for the Singapore Grand Prix began on the Marina Bay Street Circuit today. Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock got their first taste of the track in 2009 configuration in daylight at the start of first practice but the sun set during the session, which ended in darkness. A 12-minute delay due to a red flag slightly disrupted a programme of set-up analysis and aerodynamic comparisons during a session where humidity reached 71% and air temperatures hit 31°C. Marina Bay is used for racing only once a year so track conditions improved significantly throughout the two sessions as a clean line was established and tyre rubber put down. After using only the soft compound Bridgestone Potenza tyres in the opening session, second practice gave the drivers a chance to compare those with the super soft rubber; the same combination as used already on the streets of Monaco and Valencia. Another red flag eliminated 10 minutes from second practice but the team nevertheless completed all its planned work without trouble.

Jarno Trulli
"It was a standard Friday session for me where I worked to evaluate the tyres and set-up. We still have to improve the handling and the set-up because the car didn't feel perfect for me. There was very little grip from the track, especially in the first session when the surface was extremely dusty. That made it hard to get good traction and I had some oversteering. But the conditions will improve as the weekend goes on and we have to make changes to get the most out of our car here. We will study all the information and try to make the right adjustments."

Timo Glock
"I am pretty pleased with how things have turned out today. The first practice session was a bit difficult to really analyse the car and I don't think the track conditions helped. The car didn't feel bad but the lap time just didn't seem to be there. But in second practice it was much better overall. The car felt more together, the track conditions improved a lot and we ran through our whole programme. I am quite happy with the car at the moment but obviously we want to get more performance out of it before qualifying and the race. We have to analyse some set-up changes to understand which direction to take then we will see how things go tomorrow."

Dieter Gass, Chief Engineer Race and Test
"Overall it was a positive day for us. As usual on a street circuit, and as was the case here last year, the track conditions evolved a lot during the two sessions and this will continue over the rest of the weekend. Everything went well with our new update package which is always good, especially when you consider there is no track testing possible. We put the updates on the car for the first time today and it all worked fine which is a credit to everyone who has worked hard on this. Obviously with a new package you have even more data to study and you have to look really carefully at it to decide on the next steps before qualifying, so we still have plenty of work to do but I am optimistic for the weekend."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:38 am

Singapore Grand Prix - Qualifying Round-Up
Saturday 26 September 2009

3rd Practice: 10th, 1m 48.757s (+1.125s), 12 laps
1st Qualifying: 13th, 1m 47.690s (+0.713s), 7 laps
2nd Qualifying: 15th, 1m 47.413s (+1.216s), 6 laps

3rd Practice: 8th, 1m 48.673s (+1.041s), 17 laps
1st Qualifying: 15th, 1m 47.770s (+0.793s), 7 laps
2nd Qualifying: 5th, 1m 46.707s (+0.510s), 6 laps
3rd Qualifying: 7th*, 1m 49.180s (+1.289), 5 laps
*6th on provisional grid

Panasonic Toyota Racing had a mixed night in qualifying for the Singapore Grand Prix on the Marina Bay Street Circuit. Starting at 10pm local time and in 31°C heat, Formula 1's only night-time qualifying session saw Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock take their updated TF109s to the Singapore streets. Both drivers started first qualifying on the soft compound Bridgestone Potenza tyre before switching to the super soft option for a final flying lap in the closing seconds. Jarno, who lost some time in morning practice due to an exhaust problem, set the fastest third sector of the session to progress while Timo was close behind and also reached second qualifying. Again using the super soft tyre, Jarno struggled for grip and missed out while Timo went from strength to strength to reach the top 10. In third qualifying Timo, again on the super soft tyres, was fighting towards the front when a late red flag prematurely ended his final flying lap and left him seventh in the standings, although a penalty for Rubens Barrichello means he will start sixth.

Timo Glock
"I am happy to be back in the top 10 again. I like this track and I feel confident in the car set-up here. The sessions went well generally; particularly in second qualifying when I was straightaway a second faster than I had been in the first session. The car felt really good and it was nice to get through to third qualifying. My lap was okay in that session but I was on used options and they were a bit worn out. I was really looking forward to my last run on new options but the red flag destroyed it. I know I could have improved my lap time and who knows where that would have put me. But in the end I start from sixth so it looks pretty good. I hope we can have a clean first lap then try to finish in the top six. I will be fighting for as many points as possible."

Jarno Trulli
"The main problem for me was a lack of grip. The track conditions seem like they have improved but we couldn't improve our lap times enough from yesterday. I am not sure why because Timo looked strong but I just had no grip at all. The car didn't feel particularly good so we didn't quite get it right today unfortunately. Anything can happen in the race tomorrow and I will fight as hard as I can but it will be difficult to score points from 15th."

Pascal Vasselon - Senior General Manager Chassis
"As expected we are stronger here in Singapore than we were at the last race so it is disappointing not to get both cars into the top 10. Timo did a good job to get through first and second qualifying. In the end we are a bit frustrated that the final session ended early due to the red flag because he didn't have the chance to use his final set of new options so there was an opportunity to qualify even higher. The target for Timo is clearly a strong points finish but the race will be harder for Jarno. We need to analyse the grip problems he had and we will see what we can do with our strategy to recover some positions."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:33 am

Singapore Grand Prix - Race Round-Up
Sunday 27 September 2009

Grid: 14th
Race Classification: 12th (+1m 13.009s)
Pit Stop Laps: 21, 51

Grid: 6th
Race Classification: 2nd (+9.634s)
Pit Stop Laps: 19, 45

Panasonic Toyota Racing returned to the podium in a dramatic Singapore Grand Prix as Timo Glock equalled his and the team's best Formula 1 result with second place. Timo took his third career podium, his second of the season, thanks to a brilliant drive from sixth on the grid under lights at the Marina Bay Street Circuit. His charge to the front started on the opening lap when, on soft compound Bridgestone Potenza tyres, he fought his way up to fifth place. Jarno, also on the soft tyres, started with a heavy fuel load and finished the first lap in 17th. Timo made his first pit stop, for more soft tyres, on lap 19 and had already moved into the podium places but a safety car two laps later interrupted the race. Jarno pitted for more soft tyres behind the safety car, resuming in 14th. After four laps of safety car the race restarted and Timo battled hard to defend his fourth position. Soon after that became third and he made his final pit stop from second place, switching to the super soft options. He continued to push hard and closed in on the race lead, while Jarno had fought his way into the top 10 before a late stop for super soft tyres. An exceptionally long race in tough conditions saw Timo take the chequered flag in a fine second place, Panasonic Toyota Racing's fourth runners-up spot and 12th podium.

Timo Glock
"We have had a really good weekend and this is a great reward for the team. After a solid qualifying the pace was good in the race so I am really happy for the team and myself. It was important to get in front of Fernando (Alonso) on the first lap and I was disappointed I didn't do it at the start. I saw he was fighting with Mark (Webber) and I just dived in and made the pass. It paid off because after that our strategy worked well; it was the key point in my race. I was just concentrating the whole race on my speed and we didn't make any mistakes. This is a brilliant result for Toyota before the Japanese Grand Prix. It's important for everyone in the team; the mechanics and engineers as well as the people back home in Cologne and in Japan. The car worked well today with the new package and I hope we can be competitive again in Suzuka."

Jarno Trulli
"It was a really tough race and not much went right for me. As soon as I got out of the traffic the safety car came at the wrong moment for me; right when I was passing through the pits for my first stop. I wasn't particularly competitive all weekend and I was struggling with traction so we have to take a look at that. But on the positive side Timo's second place is a great result for the team, who really deserve it. Timo drove a great race and I am happy for his podium; it is also good news for us in the Constructors' Championship."

Tadashi Yamashina - Team Principal
"I am extremely happy to be back on the podium and fighting at the front again. Timo did a fantastic job this weekend, as did the entire team. Everything went perfectly with Timo today; his pit stops were very good and he drove very well. Jarno did his best but unfortunately it was always going to be difficult after qualifying. To be on the podium again is a particularly satisfying result coming just a few days before our home Grand Prix in Japan. Suzuka should be more suited to our car than Singapore so we can expect to be very competitive there as well. I would like to thank the team for their hard work in getting such a great result and I am looking forward to another strong performance next weekend."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:43 am

Japanese Grand Prix - Preview
Monday 28 September 2009

Date: Sunday, 4 October, 7am CET
Round: 15 of 17
Venue: Suzuka Circuit
Distance: 5.807km (53 laps)
Lap record: 1min 31.540s (2005)
History: Suzuka hosted the first Japanese Grand Prix in 1963 but the event arrived on the Formula 1 World Championship calendar at Fuji Speedway in 1976 and 1977. Formula 1 returned to Japan in 1987 at Suzuka, which hosted 20 consecutive events before Fuji Speedway returned in 2007 and 2008.

Panasonic Toyota Racing makes the 5,000km trip from Singapore to Suzuka for this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix. Following its return to the podium with Timo Glock's second place in Singapore at the weekend, the team has the chance to continue that strong form on Formula 1's return to Suzuka. With almost no time between the two races, Jarno Trulli and Timo will use the same specification cars that performed so well in Singapore, although there is a change of tyre compound with the soft and hard specification Bridgestone Potenza tyres in use this weekend. As its home race, the Japanese Grand Prix is of particular significance for the team, not least as the location for its first-ever pole position, in 2005. Jarno holds the record for Toyota's best result at Suzuka, with sixth in 2006, although he went one place better than that last year at Fuji Speedway to take the team's highest finish in Japan. With thousands of loyal Toyota fans expected to lend their support at Suzuka, the team
is highly motivated to fight for the podium.

Jarno Trulli (Car 9): "I am excited to be returning to Suzuka because it is a very technical and challenging circuit which I like very much. There are a lot of high-speed corners and quick changes of direction so it is a bit like Spa in that sense and it is one of my favourite circuits. I am particularly looking forward to seeing what changes have been made to the facilities; although I am pleased the lay-out is the same with just resurfacing. Japan is the home Grand Prix for the team so I will give my all to get the best result for Toyota and our Japanese supporters. I have a special relationship with the Japanese fans so I really enjoy visiting the country; they are always so supportive and enthusiastic. It is a special atmosphere. I had a disappointing weekend in Singapore but Suzuka is a totally different track and we should be competitive there; we hope to be very strong so I hope to race well and get a result to match."

Timo Glock (Car 10): "Suzuka is a really special circuit. It is very fast and the first sector is just unbelievable in a Formula 1 car; a really enjoyable experience. It is five years since I drove a Formula 1 car at Suzuka but the lay-out hasn't changed and I'm sure the fans will still make it a pleasure to race there. It's a really good fun circuit to race at because not only is the lay-out so fantastic, the fans make it feel special too, especially when you are a Toyota driver. It's not an easy track to drive and you really have to be completely concentrated to get the best lap time but this makes it so much fun. It was fantastic to finish on the podium in Singapore. I would love to be challenging for the podium again in Toyota's home race to give something back to our team's; that would be a great result. Standing on the podium for Toyota in Japan would be perfect."

Tadashi Yamashina, Team Principal: "We are very much looking forward to our home Grand Prix. After two great years at Fuji Speedway the race returns to Suzuka this season but despite the change of venue we are equally determined to achieve a positive result. We will have a lot of encouragement from our fans, our partners and Toyota employees at this race which is very motivating for the whole team. This creates some positive pressure because we know our supporters are hoping for a strong result and we are determined to meet their expectations. Everyone back in Cologne has worked extremely hard to develop the new package we saw in Singapore and will use again in Japan. This shows we are fighting for every 10th of a second right to the end of the season."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:44 am

Kamui Kobayashi to fill in for unwell Timo Glock in practice
Friday 2 October 2009

Panasonic Toyota Racing can confirm that third driver Kamui Kobayashi will take part in today's practice sessions for the Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka, in place of the unwell Timo Glock.

Timo is suffering from a very heavy cold and fever so has been advised to rest by the team doctor in order to enable him to recover in time to compete in qualifying and the Japanese Grand Prix itself.

Kamui, 23, is the reigning GP2 Asia champion and recently completed his second GP2 Series campaign. He has been Panasonic Toyota Racing third driver since the beginning of 2008.

Kamui said: "It is a pity Timo is not feeling well today. But I am grateful for the team's trust in me to take part in practice for the Japanese Grand Prix. I have experienced the TF109 already and I am looking forward to trying it out at Suzuka, even though it is only for practice. I will do my best to contribute to the team's preparations and of course I wish Timo a very fast recovery."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:18 pm

Japanese Grand Prix - Free Practice Round-Up
Friday 2 October 2009

1st Practice: 13th, 1m 42.657s, (+2.301s) 13 laps
2nd Practice: 8th, 1m 48.737s (+1.476s), 7 laps

Kamui Kobayashi (Car 10, Chassis TF109-05)
1st Practice: 19th, 1m 43.407s (+3.051s), 16 laps
2nd Practice: 12th, 1m 49.054s (+1.793s), 7 laps

Panasonic Toyota Racing had a different driver line-up for the start of Japanese Grand Prix practice at Suzuka today. Timo Glock was suffering from a very heavy cold and fever, allowing third driver Kamui Kobayashi to join Jarno Trulli in practice today. Rain throughout the day meant Formula 1's return to Suzuka after a two-year absence took place on a wet track for both sessions. Kamui, making his first appearance behind the wheel of a Formula 1 car at a Grand Prix weekend, started practice on wet Bridgestone Potenza tyres but a dry spell saw the track begin to dry so he and Jarno continued with intermediate rubber. Kamui acquitted himself extremely well with some competitive lap times in difficult conditions as the team assessed wet-weather set-ups and ran system checks. But the rain returned even stronger in the afternoon, with second practice beginning in a downpour. No running was possible at all for the first 75 minutes but both drivers did complete a late stint to gather information on track conditions. Timo is expected to return to action tomorrow.

Jarno Trulli
"There's not much to say after that. Unfortunately for all our Japanese fans the weather severely limited our running today. I hope we have better weather tomorrow so we can put on a better show for them. The car didn't feel too bad in the wet but it is difficult to comment too much on it because of the conditions."

Kamui Kobayashi
"I only heard I would be driving today at 8.30 this morning when I was on my way to the circuit; it was a bit of a surprise because even though I knew Timo was sick, I wasn't expecting this. It was a really good opportunity for me but the conditions were pretty bad and I didn't get a lot of laps in the end. I had quite a good run in the first session and I was trying to improve step by step. It was important not to make any mistakes because I wanted to complete as many laps as possible, for me and the team. I wasn't pushing 100% due to the wet conditions but still the lap times were pretty good, especially considering I don't have much experience of this track and haven't driven here for six years. The car feels like it has improved a lot since I last drove it in February. It's difficult to judge in the wet but I was really impressed with how much development has been done in that time."

"It was a bit of a wasted day today because the conditions were so bad and the forecast for the rest of the weekend is for better weather so there was no incentive to do much running. Between first and second practice the conditions went from bad to worse and we were only able to do one run at the very end of the afternoon session which was not particularly useful. Considering the bad weather and the fact he has not tested since the beginning of the year, Kamui did extremely well; we are very pleased with his contribution. Timo should be back tomorrow and he will not suffer from missing today's practice - unless the weather forecast changes - because it wasn't possible to do any significant preparation for dry running."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:36 pm

Japanese Grand Prix - Qualifying Round-Up
Saturday 3 October 2009

3rd Practice: 1st, 1m 31.709s 24 laps
1st Qualifying: 4th, 1m 31.063s (+0.180s), 9 laps
2nd Qualifying: 3rd, 1m 30.737s (+0.396s), 6 laps
3rd Qualifying: 2nd, 1m 32.220s (+0.060s), 5 laps

3rd Practice: 14th, 1m 32.749s (+1.040s), 26 laps
1st Qualifying: 14th, 1m 31.550s (+0.667s), 10 laps
2nd Qualifying: 14th, no lap time, 3 laps

Panasonic Toyota Racing endured a Japanese Grand Prix qualifying session of mixed emotions at Suzuka today. Jarno Trulli, who had been fastest in morning practice, gave the team its fourth front row start of the season but Timo Glock's qualifying ended early with a heavy accident in the second session. Timo, who suffered a minor cut to his left leg and some back pain but no significant injuries in the impact, was transferred to hospital in Yokkaichi for a check-up. Earlier in the day he had returned to the cockpit for morning practice after sitting out yesterday's action due to a very heavy cold and fever. Both drivers progressed through first qualifying on the soft compound Bridgestone Potenza tyre. A red flag early in the second session caused an eight-minute delay and Jarno had just finished a scintillating lap on soft tyres when Timo, also set for an extremely quick lap, crashed at the final corner. That caused a 14-minute delay. A further red flag in the final session postponed matters for another five minutes but when the action resumed Jarno was in fine form, showing the impressive potential of the TF109 by claiming second place for Toyota's home race.

Jarno Trulli
"Obviously I feel for Timo because we could both have been starting at the front of the grid today. It was good to hear quickly from the team that he is okay; just a bit upset he isn't in the top six with me. It was a crazy qualifying session in general with all the red flags and I am really happy with this result, especially in front of all our Japanese fans. The whole team has done a great job this weekend with our updated package to give me this chance to qualify on the front row. They have provided me with a car to fight at the front and I want to say thanks to them. My priority in qualifying was to keep my concentration because I knew we had a good chance to get a strong result. I think my lap time was the maximum I could get out of the car so I am very pleased with it. Now I am looking forward to the race tomorrow when obviously my aim is to finish on the podium in Toyota's home Grand Prix. I hope the first lap is clean and then I will do my best to get a great result."

"All in all it was a very good day for Jarno which confirmed our package works really well on this kind of aero-dominated track. We saw already this morning that he was on for a great day and he had a really strong qualifying. We are obviously disappointed to miss out on pole position by less than a tenth of a second but confident our strategy will be very competitive tomorrow. For Timo it has been a different story. We are frustrated of course that he didn't qualify where we expected but happy that he is okay because that is always our priority. It was a heavy impact but the data shows no sign of anything unusual on that lap."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:28 am

Japanese Grand Prix - Race Round-Up

Grid: 2nd
Race Classification: 2nd (+4.877s)
Pit Stop Laps: 16, 39

Timo Glock (Car 10)
Grid: Did not start

Panasonic Toyota Racing stood on the podium for the second consecutive race following Jarno Trulli's brilliant runners-up finish in the Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka. As his team-mate Timo Glock had done in Singapore last Sunday, Jarno again equalled the team's best Formula 1 result, taking his third and the team's fifth podium finish of the season. He was the only TF109 on the grid as Timo was unable to start following his accident in qualifying yesterday, in which he suffered a cut leg. Jarno started the race from second on the hard compound Bridgestone Potenza tyre and came out of the first corner in third, behind Lewis Hamilton. From then on he pushed to the limit, always keeping second place in sight. He fell short of taking the position at his first pit stop, when he changed to another set of hard tyres. But more fast laps and exceptional work by the pit crew at his final stop, when he switched to the soft tyres, allowed him to take the position. He was comfortably pulling away when the safety car was brought out due to an accident on lap 45 but when racing resumed four laps later he held position and crossed the line in front of the team's home fans in a well-deserved second place.

Jarno Trulli
"Standing on the podium in the team's home Grand Prix is a fantastic feeling and this great result is down to the whole team; the engineers, mechanics and everyone, including Timo. We work really well together as part of a great team and it's a pity he wasn't able to race today. The car, with the new package, has been really competitive all weekend and I knew the start was likely to be the toughest point of the race. We made a strong start and I almost held my position, but Lewis got by and after that I spent the whole race fighting with him. I closed the gap and just focused on doing qualifying laps every time; it was fantastic fun and I really enjoyed it. It was not easy to push so hard but I kept fighting and after the first pit stops I was again chasing Lewis really closely. It was just a matter of putting as much pressure on as possible and, thanks to the team for the strategy and fast pit work, we got him at the last stop. From then on I pulled away and it was reasonably comfortable, even with the safety car at the end. I want to thank the team; we came here after Timo's great second place in Singapore and again the car was competitive immediately. I really hoped to win but this was the maximum we could achieve and I am extremely happy to be on the podium in Japan."

"Jarno did a brilliant job today with the only Toyota in the race. It's great to get a result like this in our home Grand Prix; we really appreciate our partners and fans so I hope they enjoyed our performance. It's unfortunate Timo couldn't join him in the race because I am sure he would have also had a very strong result but I am very happy with Jarno's podium. The strategy worked perfectly so, thanks to the efforts of Jarno and the team, we got past Hamilton after the second pit stop. Two second places in a row is a credit to the team, who have fought so hard all through the season; they deserve this result. There are still two more races left so we will immediately begin preparations for those and I hope Timo and Jarno will again stand on the podium this season."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:32 pm

Brazilian Grand Prix - Preview

Date: Sunday, 18 October, 6pm CET
Round: 16 of 17
Venue: Interlagos
Distance: 4.309km (71 laps)
Lap record: 1min 11.473 (2004)
History: The first Brazilian Grand Prix was held at Interlagos in 1972, although it was a non-championship event. Jacarepaguá in Rio de Janeiro hosted the race 10 times between 1978 and 1989 but Interlagos has been the race's permanent home since 1990.

Panasonic Toyota Racing makes a trans-Atlantic trip this week for the penultimate round of the 2009 season, the Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos; the only Grand Prix of the season in the Americas. There will be a different driver in the car with Kamui Kobayashi replacing Timo Glock, who is suffering from a cracked vertebra sustained in his qualifying accident at Suzuka. The team arrives in Sao Paulo on the back of consecutive second place finishes and in the midst of a battle for third place in the Constructors' Championship. Jarno Trulli's second place at Suzuka equalled the team's record, from 2005, of five podiums in a season and the target this weekend will be to set a new mark and close the 12.5-point gap to third place. Toyota has enjoyed competitive performances at Interlagos and has scored points in three of the last four Brazilian races, including Timo Glock's sixth place last year, while Jarno has qualified in the top three on two of the last three occasions.

Jarno Trulli (Car 9): "This season has flown by so quickly; it's hard to believe we are already at the penultimate race of the year! It's always enjoyable to be racing in Brazil, and particularly at Interlagos which is a tough circuit. The track is quite unusual because it is anti-clockwise, but also because half of it is extremely fast and the other half is very technical, so you need to compromise to find the right set-up. Toyota has usually been quite strong at Interlagos and I've generally been very quick there too so I'm hopeful that will be the case again this year. It was fantastic to be on the podium in the last race, especially in front of all our Japanese supporters, and I hope to be fighting at the front again this weekend. Last year I was on the front row in Brazil and I believe this year's car will also be quite well suited to the track so I am optimistic. I am determined to end the season as we started it; on a high note."

Kamui Kobayashi (Car 10): "This is an incredible opportunity for me to make my Grand Prix debut but of course it is a pity for Timo as I know how much he was looking forward to getting back to racing. Fortunately for me I had some time in the car on Friday in Suzuka and, even though that was in the wet, it will be very helpful for me this weekend. I have never driven at Interlagos before but I know the lay-out from computer games and television so I don't think it will take too long to learn. It's going to be a tough weekend but I feel ready for the challenge and I know the team is supporting me 100%. A few days ago I wasn't even expecting to be racing this weekend so it's impossible to set any targets. I just want to do myself proud and complete the race without any problems; anything after that is a bonus."

Pascal Vasselon, Senior General Manager Chassis: "After the most recent work, Interlagos is now no bumpier than any other track so what we are left with is a very interesting lay-out which presents quite a challenge, with low, medium and high-speed corners as well as a long straight. This means you have to compromise in terms of downforce and drag level to get strong performance on the infield and give yourself a chance to pass at the end of the start-finish straight. We have always been quick in Brazil so we expect to be very competitive. In terms of aerodynamic efficiency Interlagos is close to the baseline configuration we run in the wind tunnel so our car is very well optimized to this kind of track. We go into the Brazilian Grand Prix after finishing on the podium in the last two races so we have high expectations and I am confident we will be strong."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:51 am

Brazilian Grand Prix - Free Practice Round-Up

1st Practice: 11th, 1m 13.326s, (+0.863s) 26 laps
2nd Practice: 6th, 1m 12.605s (+0.291s), 37 laps

Kamui Kobayashi (Car 10, Chassis TF109-04)
1st Practice: 18th, 1m 14.029s (+1.566s), 27 laps
2nd Practice: 13th, 1m 12.869s (+0.555s), 40 laps

Panasonic Toyota Racing made a positive start to preparations for the Brazilian Grand Prix, the penultimate race of the 2009 season, at Interlagos in Sao Paulo today. Jarno Trulli, after his second place in the Japanese Grand Prix, was joined by Kamui Kobayashi, deputising for Timo Glock who injured his back at Suzuka. After an installation lap to begin first practice, Kamui left the garage 22 minutes in to complete his first serious laps of Interlagos. His first task was to learn the track having only previously experienced it in video games and on a scooter. He consistently improved his lap times while Jarno evaluated aerodynamic settings until a half-hour rain interruption. Both used the medium compound Bridgestone Potenza tyres throughout and, despite late drizzle, completed a trouble-free session. In afternoon practice they again evaluated set-up changes and carried out comparison runs between the super soft and medium compound tyres while Kamui also continued to familiarise
himself with race weekend procedures. Despite grey clouds, the session stayed dry until the last 20 minutes, with Kamui performing commendably and Jarno also showing strong potential for the rest of the weekend.

Jarno Trulli
"Everything went well today and we did our usual Friday testing work. We had some rain in both sessions which makes things a bit harder than normal and particularly in the morning there wasn't much grip. But even though the weather disrupted things for us, we still went through quite a few set-up changes and it feels like we are moving in the right direction. The car seems pretty good on this track and I had no major problems so I hope we can continue this positive progress for the rest of the weekend. After the great result last time in Suzuka I am really motivated to keep up the momentum and I am optimistic we can do that."

Kamui Kobayashi
"It was a a nice experience to be starting a weekend as a Grand Prix driver for the first time. It was also my first time driving in Brazil; I found that the track is good fun for a driver and also very challenging. Our work went well; just the weather wasn't perfect with the showers which meant the track surface was not consistent. That made it difficult to properly judge the set-up and also to fully learn each corner because the conditions were changing during the sessions. In the end I found a good rhythm and the car felt competitive so it was a good day for me. There are still things we can improve and I'll be working hard with my engineers to prepare properly for my first Formula 1 qualifying sessions. I'm really looking forward to it and I'm confident."

"Overall it has been quite a good start to the weekend for us despite the difficult conditions all day. The drizzle in both sessions was not ideal but nevertheless we did pretty much all the work we wanted to; we just had to adapt the programme a bit to account for the weather. The two tyre compounds behaved largely as we expected, with no problems although the option proved to be a little better than we thought over a long run. Especially considering the difficult track conditions, Kamui's performance is even more impressive on a track he hadn't driven before today. We can only be pleased with how he performed. As usual we now have to look carefully at the data and fine-tune the set-up to get the most out of the car for the rest of the weekend."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:52 am

Brazilian Grand Prix - Qualifying Round-Up

3rd Practice: 8th, 1m 24.859s (+1.677s), 5 laps
1st Qualifying: 11th, 1m 24.621s (+1.793s), 11 laps
2nd Qualifying: 3rd, 1m 20.635s (+0.267s), 10 laps
3rd Qualifying: 4th, 1m 20.097s (+0.521s), 8 laps

3rd Practice: 20th, 1m 30.259s (+7.077s), 4 laps
1st Qualifying: 7th, 1m 24.335s (+1.507s), 11 laps
2nd Qualifying: 11th, 1m 21.960s (+1.592s), 11 laps

Panasonic Toyota Racing recorded a positive result in a severely rain-affected qualifying session for the Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos in Sao Paulo today. Jarno Trulli starts from a strong second-row position while Kamui Kobayashi, a replacement for the injured Timo Glock, will make his Grand Prix debut from 11th after an impressive effort. Heavy rain played havoc with proceedings having already restricted final practice to just 18 minutes this morning. The storms caused an eight-minute delay in first qualifying before both drivers ventured out on wet Bridgestone Potenza tyres. On a very wet track they both performed well to progress to the second session, which was initially delayed by 16 minutes due to the conditions then, after just two minutes of action, halted for one hour and 11 minutes. When the rain finally stopped, qualifying could resume and Kamui was desperately close to claiming a top-10 spot, dropping to 11th in the last seconds as Jarno, also on intermediate tyres by now, progressed in the top three. Track conditions continued to improve in third qualifying, where Jarno used intermediate tyres to claim fourth place with his final flying lap.

Jarno Trulli
"It was a very intense qualifying session. In first qualifying the only target was to keep the car on the track and try to do a reasonable lap time because the conditions were horrible, with a lot of aquaplaning. It was extremely hard and the important thing was to stay focused; we managed to get through which was the important thing. In second and third qualifying it was much better and the car was running well so I was able to push harder. I enjoyed it because we were putting in some quick lap times on the right tyres and it's good to be on the second row. It would be nice to repeat the Japanese Grand Prix podium and I will be fighting hard."

Kamui Kobayashi
"That was a very difficult session for my first qualifying experience in Formula 1. The conditions were really hard because from lap to lap the situation changed and there was a lot of aquaplaning. I have never driven this track in those conditions before so it was certainly not easy but the car felt good. I made a small mistake on my last lap in second qualifying so I missed out on the top 10 which I am a bit frustrated about. But overall, to qualify in 11th for my Grand Prix debut in conditions like that is a good result which is more than I expected so I am happy with it. We'll see how it goes in the race tomorrow; it would be great to score points and I will be doing my best to achieve that."

"A qualifying session of almost three hours is quite unique and I haven't experienced anything like it before in Formula 1. But the team and drivers performed well to stay focused and prepared through such a chaotic session. In the end we are pleased with the result, although we were targeting the front row. Both drivers did a very good job in difficult and changing conditions. Jarno showed he has the potential to score a lot of points tomorrow and we are really happy for Kamui. He missed on the top 10 by a tiny margin but 11th place in his first Formula 1 qualifying session is a great achievement, especially considering the weather. Now we are looking forward to tomorrow when the weather could play a part again, so it should be an interesting race."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:00 pm

Brazilian Grand Prix - Race Round-Up
Sunday 18 October 2009

Grid: 4th
Race Classification: DNF

Grid: 11th
Race Classification: 10th (+1min 3.324s)
Pit Stop Laps: 30, 56

Panasonic Toyota Racing concluded the Brazilian Grand Prix with neither TF109 in the points after an eventful race at Interlagos in Sao Paulo. Kamui Kobayashi, standing in for the injured Timo Glock, made a commendable Grand Prix debut to finish in the top 10 but Jarno Trulli's challenge for another podium ended with an accident on the first lap. Jarno was fighting at the front when he was pushed wide at the exit of turn five, spinning into the wall. He was forced to retire on the spot but Kamui made impressive progress, defending his position into turn one then taking advantage of the drama to move into sixth. With a heavy fuel load, he coped well under extreme pressure from the cars behind but lost a position at the beginning of lap 25, before being briefly overtaken for seventh at the end of the same lap. However, he showed his fighting qualities by immediately reclaiming the spot and ran as high as third due to a long first stint on medium compound Bridgestone Potenza tyres. His first pit stop in Formula 1 went smoothly and he resumed battle, again using medium compound tyres before a shorter final stint on super soft rubber. Despite the physically tough race on the anti-clockwise Interlagos track, he fought to the very end and earned a top-10 spot by passing the Ferrari of Giancarlo Fisichella on lap 68. With a clear track ahead, Kamui took the chequered flag on his Grand Prix debut, finishing with a flourish by setting his fastest lap on the very last lap.

Kamui Kobayashi
"It was a tough race for me. As this was my Grand Prix debut I experienced a lot of things for the first time in Formula 1 so it was a learning experience. Physically it felt like a really long race and it was quite tough. My first target was to finish the race and I am pleased to achieve that, but after the start I was in a decent position to score points so I am a little disappointed I didn't. The car felt good in the first stint but when I changed tyres the balance felt a different and I was struggling a bit; probably this was just down to experience. It was my first race so there are several areas to improve but overall I am happy with how I have performed this weekend and I would like to thank the team for all its support."

Jarno Trulli
"I am extremely frustrated by what happened today because I had a very good chance to challenge for the podium. On the first lap (Adrian) Sutil was very slow through turn four because he was fighting with (Kimi) Raikkonen. He was on the inside so I took the outside line but he kept pushing me wider and wider. In the end I was on the grass and had no control of the car so I crashed into the wall at high speed. I think there was enough space for both of us to get around the corner."

"It is disappointing not to score points here because we had high expectations. Jarno was unlucky on the first lap and I feel really sorry for him because he had the chance to get another very strong result. So Kamui was the only Toyota in the race but he did a really good job, especially on a track he has never raced on before and after the difficult conditions earlier in the weekend. As we have come to expect from him, he battled really hard and also put on an exciting show for the fans. It was particularly impressive to see him overtaking another car at the end of a hard race and I am proud of his efforts."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:10 pm

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Preview
Tuesday 27 October 2009

Date: Sunday, 1 November, 2pm CET
Round: 17 of 17
Venue: Yas Marina Circuit
Distance: 5.554km (55 laps)
Lap record: n/a
History: This year marks the first Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, although Formula 1 cars, including one from Panasonic Toyota Racing, completed a demonstration run there in February 2007.

Panasonic Toyota Racing reaches the end of a successful season with a trip to the United Arab Emirates for the first-ever Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, held on the new Yas Marina Circuit. Not only is this weekend's race held at a new venue, it is also held in unique conditions with the race starting in daylight at 5pm local time but finishing in darkness and under floodlights 55 laps later. The track, which will become the 67th to hold a Formula 1 World Championship race, winds its way around Yas Marina through a series of 90° turns but also includes two long back straights where the cars are expected to reach over 300km/h. Toyota is looking to add to the 54.5 points it has scored already this season, having been unfortunate to miss out in the Brazilian Grand Prix when Jarno Trulli was involved in an accident while challenging for another podium finish. Kamui Kobayashi made an impressive Grand Prix debut in the same race and will again compete in Abu Dhabi in place of Timo Glock, who has a
cracked vertebra.

Jarno Trulli (Car 9): "It's been an up-and-down season for us with such a strong start followed by some disappointing races in Europe then a really competitive end to the year. As Abu Dhabi is a new track it's impossible to predict how we will perform but after the speed we showed in the last three races I am confident of finishing the year on a high. I was extremely frustrated to be eliminated by an accident in Brazil because we had looked very quick all weekend and I genuinely believe we had a fantastic chance of finishing on the podium. So I am confident for this weekend and I am really motivated to get another great result before the season ends. Abu Dhabi looks like another fantastic new venue and I am really interested to see what the track is like to drive so I can't wait for practice to begin on Friday."

Kamui Kobayashi (Car 10): "I am really looking forward to my second Grand Prix and I want to make the most of this unexpected chance. I didn't know the track in Brazil and that was a little bit of a disadvantage because almost all the other drivers had some experience of it. But that's not the case in Abu Dhabi; this is a new track for everyone so that should help me. I am also more familiar with the car now, as well as other procedures during a race weekend like pit stops and the two tyre compounds, so I expect to be more competitive in Abu Dhabi. I am sure the car will be strong and I will do everything I can to try to score my first points in Formula 1. Of course it will be extremely difficult because the field is very strong and this is just my second Grand Prix but I will give my all."

John Howett, President: "We are very much looking forward to the first Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, which marks the end of an eventful and positive season for us. Even if we haven't yet achieved all our targets, we produced a very competitive car and when we made the most of its potential we were able to fight systematically for the podium. Having discussed the medical advice with Timo and his management, the team has decided to take no risk and to put Kamui in the car. He proved in very difficult circumstances in Brazil that he can compete in Formula 1 and we are looking forward to another gutsy performance. This track is again new to him but that is true for everyone, which should work in Kamui's favour, so we are expecting a strong display from both drivers."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:00 pm

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Free Practice Round-Up
Friday 30 October 2009

1st Practice: 10th, 1m 44.958s (+1.019s), 25 laps
2nd Practice: 14th, 1m 42.409s (+1.102s), 30 laps

1st Practice: 19th, 1m 46.364s (+2.425s), 28 laps
2nd Practice: 5th, 1m 41.636s (+0.329s), 34 laps

Panasonic Toyota Racing got the final race weekend of its 2009 Formula 1 season underway today at Yas Marina Circuit with the opening practice sessions for the inaugural Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. With qualifying and the race taking place at twilight, which means starting in daylight and ending under artificial lights, the drivers had the chance to experience both conditions today. Practice began in hot sun, with air temperatures hitting 35°C. The initial task for Jarno and Kamui was to learn the 5.554km circuit and adapt to its smooth track surface, which offered little grip at the start of the morning session. As more rubber went down, conditions improved and the team began its programme of set-up evaluations. Second practice also began in natural light but the sun soon set, leaving the artificial lights to take over. Having used only the medium compound Bridgestone Potenza tyre in the opening session, second practice gave the drivers a chance to experience the soft options while also fine-tuning set-up. The team will analyse the data gathered today to realise the TF109's full performance potential in qualifying and the race.

Jarno Trulli
"I must say that was an enjoyable day for me and it was interesting to drive on the new track for the first time. It was good fun and I am looking forward to racing here. They have done a great job with the facilities and the track is really well built, so I am impressed. The first laps were difficult because there was just no grip, but that is normal for a new circuit like this and as the day went on the situation improved. Driving during twilight was a new experience for me and the view does change a little, with some shadows, but generally it is similar to Singapore so it's not a problem. All in all, the car seemed competitive and well-balanced so if we can improve again tomorrow we can have another strong weekend."

Kamui Kobayashi
"Today went well and it was interesting to drive on this track for the first time; it is a fantastic venue. This is the second time in two weeks I have had to learn a new circuit so it is becoming a familiar experience. I learnt a lot from the Brazil weekend which has already helped me here in Abu Dhabi. It will also be helpful to have a completely dry weekend so I can really become familiar with the car and tyres on this track; that didn't happen in Brazil but I am confident it will this weekend! We have quite a lot of data from today and that will allow us to find areas to improve. I believe we can make another step in terms of performance before qualifying and then I will do my best to start as high as possible."

"First of all, big congratulations to the organisers who have created a really extraordinary and exciting facility here at Yas Marina. It is a pleasure to see the cars running around this track. For us it was pretty much a trouble-free day during which we focused initially on getting all the necessary information on the new track and allowing the drivers to get used to it. Everything went well and we also did some aerodynamic comparisons, mainly in the first session. In the evening session we looked more at the tyres and the results were largely as we expected; both compounds seem to be in a workable range so we can expect a consistent race. In terms of performance, as usual it is difficult to evaluate on a Friday but that is particularly true here because the effect of carrying more or less fuel is quite pronounced."