Bridgestone

Formula 1 Team reports for the 2010 F1 season includes race previews, reports and reviews

Moderator: Ed

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue May 04, 2010 5:53 pm

Bridgestone Motorsport’s Chinese Grand Prix Report

Reigning Formula One world champion Jenson Button (Vodafone McLaren Mercedes) used Bridgestone's soft compound and intermediate tyres to win a thrilling Chinese Grand Prix in mixed weather conditions at Shanghai International Circuit.

Button led his team-mate Lewis Hamilton across the line by 1.5 seconds. He started on the soft dry compound, before using two sets of intermediates to take him to the chequered flag. Hamilton made four stops, using a soft-intermediate-hard-intermediate-intermediate tyre strategy. Mercedes GP Petronas F1 Team driver Nico Rosberg finished third.

Hiroshi Yasukawa – Director of Bridgestone Motorsport, says
“Congratulations to Jenson Button for his second win this season and Vodafone McLaren Mercedes for their 1-2. This race was very well supported by Bridgestone China who had many guests present.
We were all rewarded with a fantastic battle on track which was enjoyed by all of our guests. Today highlighted the qualities of our dry and intermediate tyres. We are pleased to support such an exciting race.”

Hirohide Hamashima - Bridgestone Director of Motorsport Tyre Development, says
“Today was a fascinating and thrilling race. Fascinating, because conditions were right on the crossover between the dry and intermediate tyre for so many laps, and thrilling for the action this causes on track. Jenson Button drove very intelligently to take his second win of the season by remaining on the soft tyre when many changed to intermediates, and making good use of his track position from there. There were many different approaches today. The soft compound worked very well in the damp conditions and we are happy with the performance of the intermediate. Both tyres required careful management and Formula One was gifted with a superb spectacle in Shanghai. Now the next challenge for many of our staff is finding a way back to Europe.”

Stats of the Day
Race: 15:00 – 16:40
Driver Team Time Tyre Strategy
Jenson Button Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1h 46m 42.163s S-I-I
Lewis Hamilton Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1h 46m 43.693s S-I-H-I-I
Nico Rosberg Mercedes GP Petronas F1 Team 1h 46m 51.647s S-I-I

Tyres used: Medium (prime) / Super soft (option)
Temperatures Ambient Track Weather
PM – Race 21C-19C 25C-22C Drizzle / Rain

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri May 07, 2010 12:35 pm

Bridgestone Motorsport Spanish Grand Prix Preview

Bridgestone heads to Europe for the fifth round of the FIA Formula One World Championship where the hard and soft compound Potenza tyres are used for the Spanish Grand Prix on May 7-9.

The 4.66 km Circuit de Catalunya features one long straight and a variety of different corner types making set-up a compromise. It is relatively harsh for tyres and of particular note the left front tyre is put under significant stress over the course of a lap. As with any circuit, the compromise between finding low drag for the straights and sufficient downforce for the corners is a challenge. Barcelona’s numerous bends make for a greater focus on the corners and the high speeds attained here make for significant energy forces on the tyres.

Hiroshi Yasukawa – Director of Bridgestone Motorsport, says:
“This is the first race of the year in Europe so we expect a lot of media attention and predict a very busy weekend. It is the first of two visits to Spain where we have over 4000 employees. Over half of our tyre production from here is exported throughout the European Community. Our Formula One activities have been well received here and assisted us in gaining our high brand awareness in this important market.”

Hirohide Hamashima - Bridgestone Director of Motorsport Tyre Development, says:
“The Circuit de Catalunya is a good indicator of overall car balance and a car which does well here should do well at any track. We expect the weather to be much warmer than when we last visited Barcelona in February for the final pre-season test and we hope we don’t see the snow that the circuit experienced in March! The warmer temperatures make a difference to engine power, aerodynamics, tyre grip and so on, so there is a lot to consider. We often see major car upgrades as this is the first European race of the season after the first four fly-away races. The cars have already evolved a lot so it will be interesting to see the differences from when we were here before the season started. The track surface is in the middle range in terms of abrasion and roughness and we will bring our hard and soft Bridgestone Potenzas. The circuit layout is tough on the front left tyre and we expect to see graining on this tyre.”

Stats & Facts
Number & Spec of tyres brought to Barcelona 2000 (Hard, soft, intermediate/wets)
Pole position time 2009: 1min 20.527secs (Button)
Fastest race lap 2009: 1min 22.762secs (Barrichello)
Top three 2009: Button, Barrichello, Webber