Round of Belgium 2011 - Picks and comments

The Best F1 Guessing Game! Have a question or just want to share with us your picks

Moderators: cmlean, 10 n Pole Admin

10 n Pole Admin

Round of Belgium 2011 - Picks and comments

Post by 10 n Pole Admin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:25 pm

10 'n' Pole players, post your picks for the twelvth race of the season at Spa-Francohamps.

You can submit your picks at http://www.newsonf1.com/10npole/submit.htm then paste your picks here and tell us why you think your picks will be the correct ones.

You can now get a live view of who 10 'n' Pole players are picking. Just click on the link on the submit page

For the latest Formula 1 news, visit the Formula 1 News page.

The deadline for submitting the picks is midnight local time of Friday practice.

Good luck

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:43 am

The picks you have entered are:

Winner: Jenson Button

Second: Lewis Hamilton

Third: Fernando Alonso

Fourth: Sebastian Vettel

Fifth: Michael Schumacher

Sixth: Mark Webber

Seventh: Nico Rosberg

Eighth: Felipe Massa

Ninth: Paul di Resta

Tenth: Vitaly Petrov

Pole: Lewis Hamilton

Incidentally, I take it anyone who goes for Heidfeld will get points for Senna instead? [Senna's replacing Heidfeld for Spa at least, I think].

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:52 am

:bouncec: :bounce: Greetings chaps! :D :D I can't wait for this race, IMHO the greatest on the calendar! Spa is a test not merely of driving and tire management and pit strategy, but also of racing nerve. Here is where the skilled are separated from the real racers!! 8) 8)

So it's no surprise that KIMI RAIKKONEN absolutely OWNS this race :up: :burnout: :up: : Kimi competed seven times: 01, 02, 04, 05, 07, 08 & 09. He didn't finish in 01, 02 & 08.

But every time he did finish at Spa, he finished First! Twice for McLaren/Mercedes (04 & 05) and twice for Ferrari (07 & 09). :drive: :updown: :drive:

Michael Schumacher, of course, won here more than Kimi (but he has raced more than twice as much; 13 time to Kimi’s 7). He won six times: twice for Benneton and four times for Ferrari; he also finished second three times: once for Benneton and twice for Ferrari. He has one disqualification ('94) & two DNFs. Alas, :alright: :alright: he is no longer driving a genuinely competitive machine (though it's better than last year's clunker) so I fear he won't be able to improve on last year's worst finish ever for him of seventh.

So now here's my picks and reasons:

1. Lewis Hamilton: he was on the pole in 08 and was on the front row last year when he won. In Hungary we saw that the Red Bull was not able to pass the McLaren and both Seb and Mark have less than excellent records here, not to mention their poor launches. 8) 8)

2. Sebastian Vettel: his car is quick and he is almost as good as Lewis, but his qualification record here is not so good (10 in 08; 8 in 09 & 4th last year) & that will kill, I’m afraid, any chance of him winning. :twisted: :twisted:

3. Fernando Alonso: the Ferrari is getting faster and faster and maybe this year the Spaniard will find his way back (after too long a period) to the podium in Belgium. :burnout:

4. Jenson Button: Jenson's best finish at Spa was third way back in 05; I'm afraid there are too many cards stacked against him to make the podium this year. He drove brilliantly in Hungary, but evidently Spa doesn’t suit him. :oops:

5. Mark Webber has an excellent car, but I don't see a repeat of last year's second place in the cards; there are just too many faster starters and qualifiers ahead of him this year; the Red Bull dominance is fading and will fade faster with him. :alright: :alright:

6. Reliable Felipe Massa is usually in the mix, but I think Fernando has the real fire. :?

7. Michael Schumacher, with some of his famous racing luck, could make history and the podium this week --but it's a very long shot, indeed! He's as much a master of Spa as Kimi was, but this year, like last, he just doesn't have the car. :evil:

8. Paul di Resta set a blistering pace in Hungary to qualify 8th and finish 7th; I hope he continues to impress us! :up: :up:

9. Nico Rosberg should be somewhere in the top ten; ninth seems about right. :wink:

10. Buemi, in the STR in Hungary came from 23rd on the grid to 8th at the end; can't leave someone THAT hot out of the points! :tramp:

Pole: Lewis will be more than 3 tenth faster than Seb :D

Can't wait for Sunday! :cheers:

P.S. It's genuinely sad to see Renault and Sauber falling off the pace; there are some things ONLY MONEY CAN BUY :( :(

Jim Watt
My Racing Gods: Fangio, Vukovich; Senna & Mears --all racers all the time; graceful winners & generous in defeat, but never giving up!!

Steven Pazin
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Steven Pazin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:37 am

I agree with Jim Watt that this is my favourite race, it would be very upsetting to see it miss a round of the World Championship! I wish Mr E would take a cut in the sanctioning fee but of course it is all about the money that some countires without a history or even fan following can pay. :wink: Whoops very OT and I hope no libel actions against me. :oops:
My picks
Winner: Lewis Hamilton
Second: Jenson Button
Third: Sebastian Vettel
Fourth: Fernando Alonso
Fifth: Mark Webber
Sixth: Felipe Massa
Seventh: Nico Rosberg
Eighth: Kamui Kobayashi
Ninth: Michael Schumacher
Tenth: Paul di Resta

Pole: Lewis Hamilton

This track favours strong engines, which Mercedes adn Ferrari have. I think the RB Renaults with the good aerodynamics will hold on but power will get Maclaren over the line.
I hesitated over Lewis or Jenson on who is the best in changeable conditions, Jenson IMO, but Lewis is well hooked up in the car.

jido
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by jido » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:57 am

If the weather in Belgium is anything like the UK, it will be a wet week-end.
In Friday practice the top 3 teams are close, with Mercedes just behind. I think/hope Michael experience and talent will get him a good result. For the last points, Force India looks to be in better position than Lotus Renault.

The picks you have entered are:

Winner: Fernando Alonso

Second: Sebastian Vettel

Third: Jenson Button

Fourth: Lewis Hamilton

Fifth: Michael Schumacher

Sixth: Mark Webber

Seventh: Felipe Massa

Eighth: Nico Rosberg

Ninth: Paul di Resta

Tenth: Vitaly Petrov

Pole: Sebastian Vettel

10 n Pole Admin

Post by 10 n Pole Admin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:23 am

Waxx is the top scorer this round with 72 points.

Congratulations to Waxx, you have won a Gift from NewsOnF1 USA Online Store valued at $25.

Waxx managed to pick 9 of the top 10 finishers with 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th and 9th in their exact finishing place. Picking Sebastian Vettel for pole earned Waxx 6 additional points and scored a bonus 10 points for picking 9 and Pole!

You can also check your score for each race online. Just follow the link provided in your results email.

The Overall Top 100 is available here

The Belgian Top 300 is available here

The Popularity Picks (top 5 for each position) for the round of Belgium is available here