Round of Australia - Picks, comments and results

The Best F1 Guessing Game!
Have a question or just want to share with us your picks

Moderator: 8 n Pole Admin

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:31 pm

So... Most people seem to believe that the Toyotas won't stand a chance :)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:54 pm

gkaytaz wrote:So... Most people seem to believe that the Toyotas won't stand a chance :)
They will be like Ralf's back.

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:33 pm

gkaytaz wrote:So... Most people seem to believe that the Toyotas won't stand a chance :)
I think that the testing times would seem to indicate the Toyotas at this stage are not in the running... :shock:
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:38 am

Finally, the Formula 1 season has arrived........... :clap: :clap: :burnout:

1st} Felipe Massa(bringin' Ferrari back to prominence, with or without Kimi..... :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: )
2nd} Kimi Raikkonen(at least I'm finishing ahead of.....who's driving for McLaren, again? :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: ....)
3rd} Fernando Alonso(who's the current WDC, hmm, KIMI? :lol: :lol:)
4th} Jenson Button(those memories of Hungary are so far away now..... :shock: :shock: )
5th} Giancarlo Fisichella(Mr. Briatore......just what have I inheirted from Alonso...... :shock: :shock: :shock: )
6th} Lewis Hamilton(....I wonder how many rookies have scored points in their first GP...... :lol: :lol: :lol: )
7th} Mark Webber(please, oh, please, don't let the engines BBQ like they did last year at Williams....... :shock: )
8th} Alex Wurz(thanks for reminding me, Mark...... :x :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: )

And in pole position.................Felipe Massa.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:29 pm

Picks for sennano1fan :D
The picks you have entered are:

Winner: Kimi Raikkonen

Second: Fernando Alonso

Third: Felipe Massa

Fourth: Giancarlo Fisichella

Fifth: Jenson Button

Sixth: Nico Rosberg

Seventh: Rubens Barrichello

Eighth: Mark Webber

Pole: Felipe Massa

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:53 am

:D :D Well, Well, me (speedy) Mates Down Under:

I understand you're having a bit of the wets down there... & Given that all the boys will be on Japanese rubber, I expect a most entertaining race. The Bridgestones favor the smooth (driver) over the racer in general, so I have to pick the Spaniard to win. Here's me picks, then, with the [reasons?] for them:

1. Fernando Alonso: will be driving a very fast (tho' reliability-challenged) machine. He's a smooth driver who holds his machine gently on the very edge. And he's the defending WDC. Have to pick him.

2. Kimi Raikkonen: at last in a Red Machine. As he gets used to the thing holding together, he'll start commanding the points race. But for this first out, have to hold him to the second step...

3. Felipe Massa: a Red Car and a talented driver. Has to make the podium

4. Giancarlo Fisichella: Get used to it. The Renault is a solid machine, but if it weren't for Fernando, they'd be lacking a trophy for last year. This year Fisi will be lucky to get a podium...

5. Jenson Button: I know, times lately have looked like Honda is doing a Toyota. But given his performance last year, 5 is as low as you can post the Jense!

6. Mark Webber: in a new (make that Newey) machine. Never mind the paint job, he might end up out-scoring the factory cars this year. (I think the testing results are [deliberately] misleading, by the way.)

7. Nick Heidfeld: BMW is solid. Nick is solid. The chassis is solid. And they're saying they don't expect to outperform Mercedes this year. Ha. Ha. Ha. They're DYING to embarrass Mercedes!

8. Robert Kubica: [See above) Plus, if his performance last year is any indicator [1 podium, 6 starts], he should get three of them this year; maybe even move up a step!

Pole: Fernando. Easy.

What about Heikki you ask? If he shares DNA with Mikka and Kimi, then look to Maranello to 'option' him as they did Kimi. Wouldn't THAT be fun: an Italian team with Finnish drivers!

Lewis Hamilton? I think he'll be a 'data' driver this year. His team mate is defending WDC and Ron Dennis is VERY hungry after last year's drought. So, if Lewis blows a merc in practice and has to start at the back of the grid; that'll be o.k. The DATA, though, will be going right straight into Kimi's car!

Some will have noticed the disappearance of Williams. I have. It's too bad, too. I like young Nico and I love Sir Frank. I even love Williams livery. But F1 ain't about nostalgia. End (sad) of story.

Can't wait to see the race!

Jim Watt

:burnout: :compute:
My Racing Gods: Fangio, Vukovich; Senna & Mears --all racers all the time; graceful winners & generous in defeat, but never giving up!!

The Meanest
2007 8 'n' Pole Runner Up
2007 8 'n' Pole Runner Up

Post by The Meanest » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:45 am

Pole Kimi

1- Alonso
2- Massa
3- Raikkonen
4- Heidfeld
5- Hamilton
6- Fishi
7- Ralf
8- Kovawhatshisface

Test run only to see how the picks look 8)
Watching with interest

BlinkyBill
F3 Racer
F3 Racer

Post by BlinkyBill » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:24 pm

Howdy rangers - been a while, but back on deck is I

Let me first say - Massa is overrated. Mark my words. A lucky boy in the right place at the right time to score a lucky seat. IMHO there are some better drivers on the grid than he . . . he comes into 07 with a mighty advantage having been in the team for a while, . . . but over the season this will begin to show. Massa is like Fisi. Can only win races if off the front row . . . they get intimidated by traffic . . . this is why he CANT beat Kimi over an entire season.

For Oz, my tips are:

Winner: Kimi Raikkonen (has the proven talent to race ordinary cars from poor grids spots . . . now he is in a good car . . .)

Second: Fernando Alonso (Also he has the talent and a not too bad car . . . his class will be evident against this field)

Third: Giancarlo Fisichella (Renault will be in the hunt - its just that GF gets intimidated by traffic)

Fourth: Nick Heidfeld (good single lap pace . . . will qualfiy well and then hold everyone else up)

Fifth: Felipe Massa (Pole position, and then he will "do a massa" - latin for "do a Homer" - yanky for "do something stupid"_

Sixth: Heikki Kovalainen - Young Rookie of the year

Seventh: Alex Wurz - Williams always start the year well, then fade into oblivion - 07 will be the same

Eighth: Jenson Button - well, it was either JB, MW, or LH . . . Lewis suffer stage fright, and MW will be in 9th - its harder to overtake cars when they are SOOOOOO ugly.

Lloyd
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Lloyd » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:20 pm

You have registered the following picks :
Winner : Giancarlo Fisichella

Second : Felipe Massa

Third : Fernando Alonso

Fourth : Kimi Raikkonen

Fifth : Robert Kubica

Sixth : Mark Webber

Seventh : Nick Heidfeld

Eighth : Heikki Kovalainen

Pole : Felipe Massa

Last year unlucky, this year I have a warm fuzzy feeling between the ears!! :)
Maybe, perhaps, not sure

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:23 pm

Lloyd wrote:You have registered the following picks :
Winner : Giancarlo Fisichella

Second : Felipe Massa

Third : Fernando Alonso

Fourth : Kimi Raikkonen

Fifth : Robert Kubica

Sixth : Mark Webber

Seventh : Nick Heidfeld

Eighth : Heikki Kovalainen

Pole : Felipe Massa

Last year unlucky, this year I have a warm fuzzy feeling between the ears!! :)
Could be an ear infection or encephalitis.

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:50 am

:D :D :crush: :crush:
Well, Well, Well. I am feeling pre -tt- y good about my picks! I just made an extremely unofficial tally and came up with the following picks so far:

6 Idiots [!?] are picking Massa [!!!] to win,
4 slightly more realistic chaps are picking the fast Finn (that's KR),
so the RED MACHINE propoganda is still working I guess.

But come on, chaps, this is AUSTRALIA innit? And it's going to be raining worse than last year. Never mind the wind. The winner has to be a smoothie.

So wise ones, like me, and there are 3 of us so far, are picking the World Driving Champion Fernando Alonso to glide to the top step, thus picking up where he left off last season.

P.S. there were two true believers who picked Fisi. I guess because he's driving the machine that won the points battle last year (no thanks to HIM!).

For the second step on the podium:
Seven Wise Men chose Fernando (close, but no cigar):up:

Five picked Felipe (though there was one nasty comment about the ebulliant Italian)

and two (including meself) chose the Kimster to be glaring up at the Spaniard from the second step :cheers:

One incredible optimist even chose the rookie Polish chap to podium :roll:

(If this kind of pick continues, I might even crack the second century this year!)

As to the final interviewee, the THIRD PLACE FINISHER (doesn't sound good no matter how you say it, does it?):

Five incredibly naive (and I'm being nice here) chaps think it'll be Fernando! :!: :?:

As though the WDC in a very fast machine, finishing the race, would let TWO cars stay in front of him!!!

Come on, chaps, if you have doubts about the car, you CAN'T pick Fernando to finish at all --and if you don't have doubts about the car, where were you last year?!!

Fernando fought back and beat 7 time WDC Michael Schumacher (who was not driving a bad car, by the by.!!)

Is there ANY logic left in this world!! I guess not, judging by the other picks for 3rd:

4 picked Kimi (ditto pretty much what I just said)
& 3 picked Felipe (not bad if Kimi and Fernando are still running at the end)

and two actually picked Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainnen to podium in their maiden F1 races. As though these chaps were new Michaels or Ayrtons!! The remaining fool chose Fisi. Hell, why not DC in the new Red Bull?! Well, Fisi WILL probably be running at the end of the race. He'll probably be in the points. At the end. Of the race.

But even MORE incredible than what has been submitted for the podium (at least to the forum so far) are the pole picks!

ONLY 2 people think Fernando Alonso, in a McLaren, will take the pole!!
I am one; I don't remember who the other genius is)

SEVEN, that's 7 --almost half of the 15 so far submitting-- think MASSA will take the pole.

This MIGHT BE reasonable. Except Massa's team mate. Remember? Is Kimi Raikkonen. Still smarting over Michael's pass last year at the end of the season. Even if you thought Kimi was only motivated by money, not racing (this the chap who literally drove the [front] wheel off his McLaren last year in Germany trying to win the bloody race!!), how could you imagine he would for ONE SECOND let his team mate out Qualy him??!!

And one person --possibly a NASCAR fan?-- thinks Lewis Hamilton will take the pole. I like Lewis; I like what I've seen so far. (As I think I've already said, though, Mr. Hamilton is driving for data this year; if you thought the Rubinho was a malleable cog in Michael's big red machine, wait till you see what hoops Lewis will be jumping through to insure his team-mate's charge!)

In sum, surfing through this forum reminded me, again, of why I love formula one racing and why I can't wait for it to begin again:

it's so damn much fun!

:bouncest: :twinb: :drink:

Cheers! And turn up the volume!

Jim Watt :wink: :wink:
My Racing Gods: Fangio, Vukovich; Senna & Mears --all racers all the time; graceful winners & generous in defeat, but never giving up!!

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:33 am

Winner: Felipe Massa
Second: Kimi Raikkonen
Third: Fernando Alonso
Fourth: Heikki Kovalainen
Fifth: Mark Webber
Sixth: Robert Kubica
Seventh: Nick Heidfeld
Eighth: Lewis Hamilton
Pole: Fernando Alonso

I have no idea.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:49 am

My picks :wink:

Winner: Fernando Alonso
Second: Kimi Raikkonen
Third: Felipe Massa
Fourth: Lewis Hamilton
Fifth: Heikki Kovalainen
Sixth: Giancarlo Fisichella
Seventh: Nick Heidfeld
Eighth: Jenson Button

I like your logic Jim Watt, I hope my picks are reasonable to you :D
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

cmlean

Post by cmlean » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:32 am

I'm still happy with my picks, at least until the race is over. :lol:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:12 pm

cmlean wrote:I'm still happy with my picks, at least until the race is over. :lol:
or lap 1 8)