2007 MotoGP of China - Shanghai

All about MotoGP Racing

Moderators: Ed, <T-K>

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

2007 MotoGP of China - Shanghai

Post by <T-K> » Fri May 04, 2007 11:43 pm

21-year-old Casey Stoner heads for this weekend's Chinese Grand Prix at Shanghai brimming with confidence after winning two of the opening three grands prix of the 2007 MotoGP season.

It will be tough for Rossi around the 3.281 miles Shanghai circuit fighting against the superior top speed of the Ducati compared to his Fiat Yamaha on the two long straights and also worrying about tyre problems following Bridgestone's total domination of the proceedings in Turkey.

However the Italian, who won the inaugural Chinese Grand Prix two years ago, enjoys than a challenge and the 22-lap encounter on Sunday could be another classic.

Dani Pedrosa dominated qualifying and the race last year to secure his maiden MotoGP victory. The Repsol Honda rider is still battered and bruised from his first lap crash in Turkey but will be fit to defend his third place in the championship from his old 125 and 250cc sparring partner Toni Elias who's having a superb season riding the Gresini Honda.

Spaniard Elias finished second in Turkey, upset Rossi with some of his overtaking manoeuvres and moved in front of team-mate Marco Melandri in the championship.
Last edited by <T-K> on Wed May 23, 2007 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Fri May 04, 2007 11:50 pm

Free practise times (Combined)

1 - John Hopkins ~ 2'01.204
2 - Marco Melandri ~ 2'01.303
3 - Dani Pedrosa ~ 2'01.333
4 - Nicky Hayden ~ 2'01.346
5 - Loris Capirossi ~ 2'01.365
6 - Valentino Rossi ~ 2'01.390
7 - Colin Edwards ~ 2'01.409
8 - Casey Stoner ~ 2'01.460
9 - Alex Hofmann ~ 2'01.771
10 - Carlos Checa ~ 2'01.881
11 - Randy de Puniet ~ 2'01.896
12 - Chris Vermeulen ~ 2'01.991
13 - Alex Barros ~ 2'02.051
14 - Toni Elias ~ 2'02.114
15 - Makoto Tamada ~ 2'02.242
16 - Kenny Roberts ~ 2'02.564
17 - Sylvain Guintoli ~ 2'02.768 s
18 - Olivier Jacque ~ 2'02.818
19 - Shinya Nakano ~ 2'02.977

*All the best times were set in FP2

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Fri May 04, 2007 11:51 pm

Apologies for the delay...

Had a lot of catching up to do...been a busy week....

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Sun May 06, 2007 7:01 pm

I'm in quandry :shock: Do I dare mention the result!!! :roll:

I shall just leave it to the emoticons!

:oops2: :box: :shine: :bouncec: :twinb: :box1: :cheers:
Lewis Hamilton & Jenson Button World Champions :)

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Sun May 06, 2007 9:27 pm

Snowy wrote:I'm in quandry :shock: Do I dare mention the result!!! :roll:

Please go ahead....

I have not seen a computer for the whole weekend.....but then again i have not seen a minute of sleep since yesterday :shock:

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Sun May 06, 2007 9:35 pm

Valentino Rossi threw everything he had at Casey Stoner to try and break the Australian in Sunday's Chinese Grand Prix - but it was the Italian who eventually cracked, leaving the 21-year-old to take his third win from four starts.

In the face of a 10km/h plus top speed disadvantage against the powerful Ducati, which also had the edge on acceleration, pole sitter Rossi piled the pressure on Stoner through the twisty sections of the Shanghai circuit - making several successful passes for the lead... but every time Stoner blasted effortlessly back past the Fiat Yamaha along the 1200m straight, the longest on the MotoGP calendar.

1. Stoner
2. Rossi
3. Hopkins
4. Pedrosa
5. Melandri
6. Capirossi
7. Vermeulen
8. de Puniet
9. Hofmann
10. Checa
11. Edwards
12. Hayden
13. Guintoli
14. Barros
15. Roberts

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun May 06, 2007 10:23 pm

Snowy wrote:I'm in quandry :shock: Do I dare mention the result!!! :roll:

:tramp: :cheers: :lol:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue May 08, 2007 8:41 am

It's a good thing we're not doing an 8'n'pole comp for MotoGP; I'd already be in the proverbial cellar(c'mon Hayden.....get to the front!!! :evil: :evil: )......after watching the race earlier afternoon, is it just me, or was Stoner playin' with Rossi during the race; it looked like Rossi went off the edge trying to catch Stoner, while Stoner was able to hold him off without having to push as much in return. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

If that's true, what does the rest of the season hold? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue May 08, 2007 9:17 am

mlittle wrote:It's a good thing we're not doing an 8'n'pole comp for MotoGP; I'd already be in the proverbial cellar(c'mon Hayden.....get to the front!!! :evil: :evil: )......after watching the race earlier afternoon, is it just me, or was Stoner playin' with Rossi during the race; it looked like Rossi went off the edge trying to catch Stoner, while Stoner was able to hold him off without having to push as much in return. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

If that's true, what does the rest of the season hold? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I kinda thought that too, Stoner seemed to be able to stay within his comfort zone, and easily stay with Rossi thru the twisty bits, then>>>>>>>>>BLAT.!!!!
If the Dook has the handling to match it's outright speed.....
:shock2: :shock2: :shock2: .....and Casey is still learning about the Bike :shock:

Bundy
Racer
Racer

Post by Bundy » Tue May 08, 2007 2:50 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:
mlittle wrote:It's a good thing we're not doing an 8'n'pole comp for MotoGP; I'd already be in the proverbial cellar(c'mon Hayden.....get to the front!!! :evil: :evil: )......after watching the race earlier afternoon, is it just me, or was Stoner playin' with Rossi during the race; it looked like Rossi went off the edge trying to catch Stoner, while Stoner was able to hold him off without having to push as much in return. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I kinda thought that too, Stoner seemed to be able to stay within his comfort zone, and easily stay with Rossi thru the twisty bits, then>>>>>>>>>BLAT.!!!!
:shock2: :shock2: :shock2: .....and Casey is still learning about the Bike :shock:
Season is long.....& Rossi is the greatest MotoGP/500cc rider to have been (sorry mick)......Fingers crossed he'll win it but it will be a fight to the end.
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.......

I'm no ordinary idiot. I'm an F1 idiot!!!
146th in 8'n'Pole 2007
293rd in 8'n'Pole 2006

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Wed May 09, 2007 9:37 pm

We have to entertain the concept that Casey might just be on the verge of becoming the greatest MotoGP rider there has ever been! Loris is eating his dust and though the team put it down to him becoming a dad (I don't think it's his first) and being distracted. I cannot believe that a guy can get on a bike that has been developed by and specifically for a Capirossi and blow him into the weeds, unless said guy is a phenomonem! I suppose we shall have to wait and see. But I suspect Casey is going to get better and better and that The Doctor is going to have to change bike to beat him! I can't comprehend why he isn't on a Ducati anyway! It would be a match made in heaven, a lot more reasonable than The Doctor making house calls in a Ferrari!
Lewis Hamilton & Jenson Button World Champions :)

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Wed May 09, 2007 11:14 pm

Bundy wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:

Season is long.....& Rossi is the greatest MotoGP/500cc rider to have been (sorry mick)......Fingers crossed he'll win it but it will be a fight to the end.
:good: :that: :yourock:
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Wed May 09, 2007 11:16 pm

Snowy wrote:We have to entertain the concept that Casey might just be on the verge of becoming the greatest MotoGP rider there has ever been! Loris is eating his dust and though the team put it down to him becoming a dad (I don't think it's his first) and being distracted. I cannot believe that a guy can get on a bike that has been developed by and specifically for a Capirossi and blow him into the weeds, unless said guy is a phenomonem! I suppose we shall have to wait and see. But I suspect Casey is going to get better and better and that The Doctor is going to have to change bike to beat him! I can't comprehend why he isn't on a Ducati anyway! It would be a match made in heaven, a lot more reasonable than The Doctor making house calls in a Ferrari!
Even if Stoner wins the WC this year that does not make him the "greatest MotoGP rider there has ever been! "
Hell would have to freeze over before anyone comes close to what Rossi has done since he started.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed May 09, 2007 11:42 pm

Stats don't tell the full story.
If Rossi had to deal with some of the machinery that Agostini, Surttees, Hawthorn, Doohan, etc had, and lost a number of digits also, it might be more interesting to compare riders. 8)

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Thu May 10, 2007 1:26 am

No you are right there. I never saw Hawthorne, Agostini or Surtees. I did watch Mick Doohan and was a huge Doohan fan. I just IMHO think it is waaayyyyyyyyyy too early to be calling Stoner "the greatest MotoGP rider there has ever been! " I have also watched Rossi since he started in 125s and he is at least among the best. He was great when he first started and after working with Doohan he has become a better rider..... in my opinion that is. There are many people who would know better than I and they all say the same thing. The late and great Barry Sheene held Rossi in very high esteem. :D :D