Third Driver rule amended

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Third Driver rule amended

Post by Ed » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:31 pm

Following a unanimous request from the teams, the FIA have amended the Third Driver rule and will now allow any driver with a Formula One Super Licence to take part on Fridays ... more

This means that Christian Klien will now be able to drive the 3rd car for Red Bull. It also means that the other teams may opt for experienced drivers to carry out the Friday running.

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:07 pm

The third driver rule has become a joke!

I don't have a problem with Klien but you'd use it to get young and upcoming talent to show their skill. Now all the allowed teams will get (ex)drivers to test on Fridays.

I say make Fridays a test day for everyone with 2x2 hour sessions.
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:18 pm

And that should be the only testing allowed. They run what they brung :twisted: :furious:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

K-D
Racer
Racer

Post by K-D » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:47 pm

No big deal.

All teams agreed, FIA acted on an unaimous applications. case closed.

Friday 3rd driver is designed for the "small" teams giving them an advantage of testing when they are at a track anyway. We have had renault, BAR and this season Mclaren being a "Small" team, but that is obviously a consequence of only have 10 teams in total.

Good for Renault.
Good for BAR.
Good for McLaren.

The rules are what they are, and the limited advantage of running a 3rd car for less than 2 hours on a Friday can not make me feel anything is needed to fix anything.

It is only one among many many poorly concieved and applied rules and regulations that F1 is run after.

8)
K-D

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:23 pm

KD do you have any Idea how much data can be gleaned by running 3 race hardened drivers in 3 cars with different specs in a 2 hour period? Once again the small teams are getting screwed :furious: :furious: :furious: :wtf:

K-D
Racer
Racer

Post by K-D » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:41 pm

julian mayo wrote:KD do you have any Idea how much data can be gleaned by running 3 race hardened drivers in 3 cars with different specs in a 2 hour period? Once again the small teams are getting screwed :furious: :furious: :furious: :wtf:
Yes I am fully aware that the "big" team among the small ones are getting a lot more out of these sessions, especially since some teams either don't run or run them with this weeks falvor of best paying available driver.

I think that the rule is poorly concieved and poorly executed, but it is not the reason that the big ones are big and the small ones are small.

No one are being screwed. Some are just not able and capable of using the available system.

8)
K-D

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:15 pm

Toyota isn't a small team

The aim was for the poorer teams to raise funds by giving locals the chance to drive F1 cars. When that didn't work this rule should have been scrapped. Now it is used to gain advantage.

So far it seems Toyota are making the most of it

Fridays should be a test day and to make it entertaining have some sort of shootout or two cars head to head

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:49 pm

Thank you Graham, for expressing things better than I was able to. It seems, not only did I lose a day, and about 50 hours sleep, I think I left a part of my brain elsewhere :lol: , but I found the axe :TOTW: :TOTW: :TOTW:

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:03 pm

julian mayo wrote: but I found the axe
And hence the location. I C

Never let go this time

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:18 pm

Yon trusty axe shall walk beside me always, shall be my constant companion, unless, sigh, I should meet a companion for life, of the more cuddlesome variety. Then I would deed the family axe to that person, sigh :cry:

lemon_martini2
The Quizmaster
The Quizmaster

Post by lemon_martini2 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:06 pm

julian mayo wrote:Yon trusty axe shall walk beside me always, shall be my constant companion, unless, sigh, I should meet a companion for life, of the more cuddlesome variety.
Might the reason you have not found a more cuddlesome companion have something to do with the fact that you're waving a large vicious metal axe about :D
Lemon loves Danielle Porta?ner for ever x x x

A NEW TRIVIA QUIZ WILL BE ARRIVING WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS...LEMON'S BACK!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:40 pm

Aint the axe that be vicious , Bro. :crush:

sgd
Racer
Racer

Post by sgd » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:04 am

I like the rule.
For me is not a rule for small nor for poor teams, is a rule for SLOW - NON-RELIABLE teams which were worse then 5th in the TWC the previous year.
so that's why Toyota (SLOW in 04) and McLaren (NON-RELIABLE in 04) has 3 drivers for fridays...

Graham Ross said:
"So far it seems Toyota are making the most of it"

and what do/did you supouse they would do?
Mclaren has it and it doesn't seems to me as thay've made the most of it. bad for them, good for Toyota.
btw, ferrari would have a 3rd driver for fridays if the championship ended today HAhAH ( just a irrelevant random, but truly, thought ;) )

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:20 am

sgd wrote: btw, ferrari would have a 3rd driver for fridays if the championship ended
today HAhAH ( just a irrelevant random, but truly, thought ;) )
In 2006, Ferrari's 3rd driver is ?

You guessed right,

Michael Schumacher
After retiring from F1 Racing in mid 2005, the ex World Champ was offered a testing role by Ferrari with the aim of helping the new drivers - Felipe Massa and Vitantonio Liuzzi - handle the Bridgstone tyres and stop the phenomenom known as Alonsos Fernandos from breaking all the records

Michael will also be competing in the re-invented Bambino series

:rolling: :ROTFLMAO: :bounce: :bouncey: :bouncec:
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:34 am

hahahahahahahah.....awesome.....hahahahahahahah :rolling: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :rolling: :TOTW: :rolling: :ROTFLMAO: :clap: