The 2009 Victorian bushfire Fund to assist individuals and communities affected by devastating bushfires in Victoria has been launched by the Premier John Brumby in partnership with Red Cross and the Federal Government. A number of corporate organisations including NAB, ANZ, CBA and Wesfarmers have also contributed to the fund.
An independent panel made up of community leaders will oversee the appeal Fund's operation. Criteria for assistance will include the extent of the hardship covered and the extent to which a person's livelihood has been impacted.
Donations can be made using our secure online donations form or by phoning 1800 811 700.
Red Cross Response
Around 400 Red Cross volunteers have been working across the state to:
- - register the names of people affected by the fires so that family and friends can contact Red Cross to check that they are ok
- provide meals for fire fighters, police and other emergency services personnel, as well as people in relief centres
- provide first aid to assist emergency services personnel and affected people
- provide personal support to volunteers -- emotional support, information and referrals to recovery services
- - People should ring 1800 727 077 if they are unable to contact someone in the affected areas.
- Details on the full impact of the fires are sketchy as many of them are still burning. We continue to be guided by fire authorities and the State Government.
- Our focus at the moment is to ensure the wellbeing of people who have been affected by the fires.
Red Cross is not requesting or accepting donations of goods. We are focused on helping people affected by the fires and the emergency workers in their ongoing efforts. It is unclear at this stage whether any other organisation is accepting goods.
Red Cross is currently compiling a list of people who have registered their interest to volunteer. We are not in a position at the moment to utilise the people on this list, however we will be in touch with them later in the week if the situation changes.
Other agencies and contacts
- - Salvation Army is providing emergency relief
- St Vincent de Paul -- general inquiry line operational tomorrow
- Brotherhood of St Lawrence is not accepting donations of any kind for this event at this time
- Smith Family not currently accepting donations of any kind specifically for this event
- Australian Red Cross Blood service is encouraging people to donate blood. People should call 13 14 95 during Monday to Friday to make an appointment.
CFA bushfire hotline - 1800 240 667, http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au
State Emergency Service - 132 500