Victorian bushfires 2009 - Appeal

Want to relax, share an experience or just have a friendly discussion. This is the place

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Victorian bushfires 2009 - Appeal

Post by Ed » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:33 pm

from the Australian Red Cross website

The 2009 Victorian bushfire Fund to assist individuals and communities affected by devastating bushfires in Victoria has been launched by the Premier John Brumby in partnership with Red Cross and the Federal Government. A number of corporate organisations including NAB, ANZ, CBA and Wesfarmers have also contributed to the fund.

An independent panel made up of community leaders will oversee the appeal Fund's operation. Criteria for assistance will include the extent of the hardship covered and the extent to which a person's livelihood has been impacted.

Donations can be made using our secure online donations form or by phoning 1800 811 700.

Red Cross Response

Around 400 Red Cross volunteers have been working across the state to:
  • - register the names of people affected by the fires so that family and friends can contact Red Cross to check that they are ok

- provide meals for fire fighters, police and other emergency services personnel, as well as people in relief centres

- provide first aid to assist emergency services personnel and affected people

- provide personal support to volunteers -- emotional support, information and referrals to recovery services
Checking on friends and family in the area
  • - People should ring 1800 727 077 if they are unable to contact someone in the affected areas.

- Details on the full impact of the fires are sketchy as many of them are still burning. We continue to be guided by fire authorities and the State Government.

- Our focus at the moment is to ensure the wellbeing of people who have been affected by the fires.
Please do not donate goods

Red Cross is not requesting or accepting donations of goods. We are focused on helping people affected by the fires and the emergency workers in their ongoing efforts. It is unclear at this stage whether any other organisation is accepting goods.

Volunteering

Red Cross is currently compiling a list of people who have registered their interest to volunteer. We are not in a position at the moment to utilise the people on this list, however we will be in touch with them later in the week if the situation changes.

Other agencies and contacts
  • - Salvation Army is providing emergency relief

- St Vincent de Paul -- general inquiry line operational tomorrow

- Brotherhood of St Lawrence is not accepting donations of any kind for this event at this time

- Smith Family not currently accepting donations of any kind specifically for this event

- Australian Red Cross Blood service is encouraging people to donate blood. People should call 13 14 95 during Monday to Friday to make an appointment.
Important contacts

CFA bushfire hotline - 1800 240 667, http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au

State Emergency Service - 132 500

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:52 pm

I hope that everyone can give a little bit to help the victims of this horrendous event. Victoria is a total disaster area and it is not over yet.
My heart and prayers go to those who are either directly or indirectly affected. :cry: :cry:

I hope there will be NO mercy for the idiots that deliberatly lit some of the fires.
Despite everything that has happened there are still idiots out there throwing cigarette butts out of there vehicles.
:evil:
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:40 pm

On standby with the next contingent from NSW. Would have been there already, but we have had our own fire problems...........but it's now raining with more to come. Just wish Victoria was getting the rain......... :cry:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:07 am

Bloody bloody typical, freezing my butt off, sitting around while the RFS stuffs about....................no-one in the their right minds WANTS to go fight bushfires, but there are teams of us ready to go, and there are exhausted fire-fighters at the fire front. Bloody, bloody, bloody typical. :bang:

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:48 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:On standby with the next contingent from NSW. Would have been there already, but we have had our own fire problems...........but it's now raining with more to come. Just wish Victoria was getting the rain......... :cry:
Oh boy do we need some rain. We have been in drought for about 10 years. Still so many fires raging!!! You just can't help but wonder where it will all end.
It is so sad to think that some of the fires were deliberately lit and that there are now looters helping themselves to whatever is left in some of the houses.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:15 am

jacfan wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:On standby with the next contingent from NSW. Would have been there already, but we have had our own fire problems...........but it's now raining with more to come. Just wish Victoria was getting the rain......... :cry:
Oh boy do we need some rain. We have been in drought for about 10 years. Still so many fires raging!!! You just can't help but wonder where it will all end.
It is so sad to think that some of the fires were deliberately lit and that there are now looters helping themselves to whatever is left in some of the houses.
We have had 5inches of rain, now, and they won't let me come down to Vic to lend a hand, because I am now on..........floodwatch :evil:

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:49 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:
jacfan wrote:
We have had 5inches of rain, now, and they won't let me come down to Vic to lend a hand, because I am now on..........floodwatch :evil:
Ah are you located near the NSW floods? Pity we can't get some of that rain down here.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:24 pm

jacfan wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:
jacfan wrote:
Ah are you located near the NSW floods? Pity we can't get some of that rain down here.
I go where they send me.................... :cry:

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:38 pm

Are you with the SES or something like that? You guys really are the heros of this country.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:42 pm

jacfan wrote:Are you with the SES or something like that? You guys really are the heros of this country.

Rural Fire Service, and I aint no bloody hero !!! :evil: Wen, when you see me running, jump into a car and try to keep up....it won't be easy :lol:

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:12 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:
jacfan wrote:Are you with the SES or something like that? You guys really are the heros of this country.

Rural Fire Service, and I aint no bloody hero !!! :evil: Wen, when you see me running, jump into a car and try to keep up....it won't be easy :lol:
Sorry didn't mean any offence. Was just saying that the SES are heros.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:59 am

jacfan wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:

None taken Wen, it's my experience with SES, and Bushfire Brigade, that those with Hero mentalities get themselves and others killed.
We are trained to minimise risk to others and us, and know when to run like buggery :lol:
I am disgusted that they continue to hold us in reserve, there are many exhausted people there, and thats when fatals happen :cry:

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:23 am

Julian Mayo wrote:
jacfan wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:

None taken Wen, it's my experience with SES, and Bushfire Brigade, that those with Hero mentalities get themselves and others killed.
We are trained to minimise risk to others and us, and know when to run like buggery :lol:
I am disgusted that they continue to hold us in reserve, there are many exhausted people there, and thats when fatals happen :cry:
I can't understand that either. The weather forecast for tomorrow is not good. Temperatures won't be that hot (36) but high winds expected. Not good. Definitely need some relief for the guys that are out there fighting the fires that are still burning.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:49 am

jacfan wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:
jacfan wrote: Sorry didn't mean any offence. Was just saying that the SES are heros.
I can't understand that either. The weather forecast for tomorrow is not good. Temperatures won't be that hot (36) but high winds expected. Not good. Definitely need some relief for the guys that are out there fighting the fires that are still burning.
And in the mean time I'm wearing gumboots :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: