2009 IRL Team Reports: KV Racing Technology

IRL Team reports for the 2009 IRL season

Moderator: mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:34 am

KV RACING TECHNOLOGY'S MARIO MORAES QUALIFIES SIXTH FOR BOMBARDIER LEARJET 550K

FT. WORTH, TX - - JUNE 5, 2009 - - Round #6 2009 IndyCar Series season - - KV Racing Technology's Mario Moraes had his fourth consecutive strong qualifying performance and will start sixth in tomorrow's Bombardier Learjet 550K at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, TX.

Moraes, making his second appearance on the 1.5-mile high-banked tri-oval, posted a four-lap average of 213.717 mph. The talented Brazilian will grid the #5 Azul -- Votorantim - KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine on the outside of Row #3.

"The KV Racing Technology team has worked really hard on the #5 car for the ovals and I think the hard work has really paid off in our last four qualifying attempts," Moraes said. "We spent yesterday working on our race setup. Today in practice we concentrated on the qualifying setup. We had a good qualifying run today and I think we will have a good car for the race tomorrow."

Moraes started the day 19th on the speed charts following yesterday's practice with a speed of 211.989 mph. In today's split practice he ran with the second group and posted the fifth fastest lap, 213.981 mph, when the times of both groups were combined. For qualifying, Moraes went out 15th of the 24 cars making an attempt and ran four consistent laps that varied by only .12 seconds between the fastest and slowest lap.

This is Moraes' best starting position at Texas in two attempts. He finished 18th in his Texas debut last year. Moraes has now qualified in the top-seven in his last four races, all on ovals; including an IndyCar career high fifth in Milwaukee. He is currently 17th in the standings with 75 points. His best finish this season is ninth, an oval career high, also in Milwaukee.

Moraes, in his second IndyCar season and first with KVRT, will be making just his 14th oval start. Prior to joining KVRT, he had never qualified higher than 10th on any circuit and never higher than 20th on an oval. His best IndyCar finish is seventh on the Watkins Glen road course last year.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:15 am

Texas: KV Racing race report

MARIO MORAES FINISHES 10th IN BOMBARDIER LEARJET 550K

FT. WORTH, TX - - JUNE 6, 2009 - - Round #6 2009 IndyCar Series season - - KV Racing Technology driver Mario Moraes earned his second consecutive top-10 finish placing 10th today in the Bombardier Learjet 550K at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, Texas.

Moraes, making his second appearance on the 1.455-mile high-banked tri-oval, started sixth. The talented Brazilian then drove a smart race and showed a veteran's patience. He dropped to eighth early in the 228 lap contest then slipped to 10th on lap 130 where the #5 Azul -- Votorantim - KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone basically remained until the end of the race.

"I think we got the most out of the car we could tonight," Moraes said. "The car was loose in the middle of the race and I fell back, but during the last stint it was fast. I want to thank the entire KV Racing Technology team. They did a great job tonight. We finished in the top-10 again and earned some valuable points and pick up some spots in the championship standings."

This was Moraes' second best finished in six starts this season and highest finish at Texas. He earned 20 points today and is 17th in the championship standings with 95 points.

Since starting the season with consecutive DNF's when he was hit by other competitors, Moares has come on to pick up five spots in the standings in the last four races, all on ovals. He has scored two top-10 finishes, a career oval high ninth last weekend in Milwaukee and the 10th tonight plus an 11th place showing in Kansas. He has also qualified exceptionally well starting in the top-seven all four times including a career high fifth in Milwaukee.

Moraes, the second youngest driver in the IndyCar series, is in his second season and first with KVRT. Prior to joining KVRT, Moraes had never qualified higher than 10th on any circuit and never higher than 20th on an oval. His best IndyCar finish is seventh last year on the Watkins Glen road course and prior to this year his best oval finish was 10th at Nashville also in 2008.

Next up for KVRT is the Iowa Corn Indy 250, Round #7 of the 2009 IndyCar Series season, June 20-21, at Iowa Speedway in Newton, IA.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:56 am

KV Racing adds Tracy for Watkins Glen

KV RACING TECHNOLOGY TO FIELD CAR FOR PAUL TRACY AT CAMPING WORLD GRAND PRIX AT THE GLEN; GEICO INSURANCE TO SPONSOR ENTRY

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - - JUNE 15, 2009 - - KV Racing Technology announced today that open-wheel superstar Paul Tracy will compete for the team at the Camping world Grand Prix at the Glen, July 3-5, at Watkins Glen International Raceway in Watkins Glen, New York.

Tracy, the 2003 Champ Car World Series champion, is one of the most successful and exciting drivers in the history of open-wheel racing. The native of Canada will be sponsored by GEICO Insurance and pilot the #15 GEICO -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone entry. Tracy will team with Mario Moraes, #5 Azul -- Votorantim - KV Racing Technology, in a two-car effort for KVRT

"I am pleased to announce that Paul Tracy and GEICO Insurance will be joining KV Racing Technology for the race at Watkins Glen," said KVRT co-owner Jimmy Vasser. "Running Paul at The Glen with Mario gives us the opportunity to maximize our efforts on a very challenging road course and provides Paul with a tune-up race before he competes in front of his hometown fans in Toronto. I want to thank GEICO for stepping forward and making this possible and I think I can speak for everyone at KVRT when I say that we are all very excited."

Tracy, who drove for KVRT at this year's Indianapolis 500 qualifying 13th and finishing ninth, will be contesting his first race on the 3.4-mile Watkins Glen permanent road course and fourth IndyCar event. In addition to the 2009 Indy 500, he ran at Indy in 2002, finishing second and competed in the IndyCar Series event at Edmonton last year qualifying 15th and finishing fourth.

"I want to thank GEICO Insurance, Kevin Kalkhoven and Jimmy Vasser for the opportunity to compete in another race this year," Tracy said. "I really enjoyed working with Mark Johnson (KVRT General Manager) and the entire team last month at Indy and was looking forward to racing in the two events in Canada. Now I have the opportunity to compete on one of the most famous circuits in the world for the first time. It feels a little strange that at this stage of my career that there are still some exciting challenges left and racing at Watkins Glen, with all its history, is definitely a challenge, but one I am looking forward to meeting."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:49 am

KV RACING TECHNOLOGY'S MARIO MORAES LOOKING TO CONTINUE TOP-10 PERFORMANCES THIS WEEKEND IN IOWA

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - - JUNE 18, 2009 - - KV Racing Technology's Mario Moraes will be seeking his third consecutive top-10 finish when the 2009 IndyCar Series season resumes this weekend with the Iowa Corn Indy 250 at Iowa Speedway in Newton, Iowa.

Moraes, who will be making his second appearance on the .875-mile Iowa short oval, is coming off solid performances at Milwaukee and Texas. The native of Brazil, behind the wheel of the #5 Azul -- Votorantim -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine, qualified a IndyCar career high fifth and finished a career oval and season high ninth at Milwaukee. He backed that performance up with a sixth place starting spot and 10th place finish two weeks ago in Texas. In his last four races, all on ovals, Moraes has pick up five spots in the championship race and is currently 17th in the standings with 95 points, just 21 points out of 10th place.

"The entire KV Racing Technology team has worked very hard to have a competitive car on the ovals," Moraes said. "We have qualified well and have had a couple of good finishes, but obviously we would like to have better results. I think we will have a good car in Iowa, so I am confident we can have another good race and hopefully pick up some more positions in the standings."

Moraes, the second youngest driver in the IndyCar series, is in his second season and first with KVRT. He will be making his 23rd IndyCar start and 15th on an oval. Moraes had never qualified higher than 10th on any circuit and never higher than 20th on an oval until this season. Since joining KVRT he has qualified no worse than seventh on an oval and set career marks for qualifying, regardless of circuit, and oval finish. Moraes' best finish is seventh last year at Watkins Glen and prior to this year his best oval finish was 10th at Nashville also in 2008.

The Iowa Corn Indy 250 is Round #7 of the 2009 IndyCar Series season. The race will be broadcast live on ABC at 1:00 p.m. ET.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:44 pm

LEAKY TRACK CANCELS QUALIFYING FOR IOWA CORN INDY 250

NEWTON, IA - - JUNE 20, 2009 - - Round #7 2009 IndyCar Series season - - Water from a storm last night began seeping through the track forcing cancelation of today's qualifying for the Iowa Corn Indy 250 at Iowa Speedway in Newton, Iowa.

As a result tomorrow's starting lineup will be based on championship points with KV Racing Technology's Mario Moraes starting 15th. Moraes is currently 17th in the standings with 95 points, but will start ahead of Will Power, 16th in the points, but not competing here in Iowa, and Ryan Hunter-Reay, 10th, who moved from Vision Racing to A. J. Foyt Racing for this event. The 15th place starting spot is Moraes' best in two attempts at Iowa, but snaps a streak of four consecutive top-seven starting positions, all on ovals.

Moraes, making his second appearance on the .875-mile Iowa short oval, was 12th on the speed charts following morning practice with a lap of 179.986 mph. During afternoon practice, which was split into two groups, he recorded the seventh fastest lap in the #5 Azul -- Votorantim - KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine with a speed of 181.010 mph.

"It's very disappointing," Moraes said. "KV Racing Technology had a car that was capable of qualifying in the top-10. Now we start in the back, which on a short oval is difficult. But, the team has done a great job preparing the car and I am confident we can still have a good race."

Moraes, who finished a career oval and season high ninth at Milwaukee and placed 10th in Texas, will be seeking his third consecutive top-10 finish tomorrow. He placed 19th here last year. The native of Brazil, who is in his second season and first with KVRT, will be making his 23rd IndyCar start and 15th on an oval. His best finish is seventh last year at Watkins Glen.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:44 pm

MARIO MORAES HITS WALL TRYING TO AVOID MATOS FINISHES 16th IN IOWA CORN 25

NEWTON, IA - - JUNE 21, 2009 - - Round #7 2009 IndyCar Series season - - KV Racing Technology driver Mario Moraes ended up in the wall after trying to avoid a spinning Raphael Matos in today's Iowa Corn Indy 250 at Iowa Speedway in Newton, Iowa.

Moraes, who started 15th after yesterday's qualifying was cancelled due to wet track conditions, had an outstanding race car and benefitted from a solid race strategy to get as high as seventh. However, following a restart the native of Brazil, behind the wheel of the #5 Azul -- Votorantim - KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine, was assessed a controversial drive through penalty for blocking, dropping him 15th. On lap 53, Moraes was running behind Matos, when Matos spun. Moraes took evasive action to avoid a crash, but had no place to go and ended up sliding into the wall ending his race in 16th place.

"The KV Racing Technology team worked very hard and I had a great car in the race," Moraes said. "But, I was behind Raphael Matos and he spun in front of me. I tried to avoid him and when I did that I slid into the wall. It is very disappointing because I think even with the penalty we could have had a good finish today."

Despite the early exit, Moraes earned his best finish in two races on the .875-mile Iowa short oval. Last year he placed 19th. The 16th place showing ends Moraes' streak of top-10 finishes at two, a career oval and season high ninth at Milwaukee and a 10th place showing in Texas.

Next up for KVRT is the Sun Trust Indy Challenge, Round #8 of the 2009 IndyCar Series season, at Richmond International Raceway in Richmond, Virginia. The race will be broadcast live on Versus at 8:00 p.m. ET

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:47 am

KV Racing, Paul Tracy news 2009-06-23

ONTARIO HONDA DEALERS ASSOCIATION TO SPONSOR PAUL TRACY AT HONDA INDY TORONTO
EFFORT TO SUPPORT WOUNDED WARRIORS.CA

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - - JUNE 23, 2009 - - Canadian Paul Tracy's KV Racing Technology car will be sponsored by the Ontario Honda Dealers Association, and will support Wounded Warriors.ca., at the Honda Indy Toronto, July 12 on the streets of Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Tracy, the 2003 Champ Car World Series champion, is one of the most successful and exciting drivers in the history of open-wheel racing. The native of Scarborough, Ontario, Canada, will pilot the #15 Ontario Honda Dealers -- Wounded Warriors.ca -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine.

"We are extremely pleased that Paul Tracy will pilot a KV Racing Technology entry with sponsorship from the Ontario Honda Dealers Association in support of Wounded Warriors.ca," said KVRT co-owner Jimmy Vasser. "Having Paul drive in front of his countrymen with an organization like Wounded Warriors.ca on the sidepods of a KVRT car is an honor and a privilege. I personally want to thank the Ontario Honda Dealers Association for making this possible."

Brian Tafler of the Ontario Honda Dealers Association said, "To have the Indy return to Toronto, sponsored by Honda, and not have Paul Tracy racing didn't make sense to us. So we decided to sponsor Paul. When someone brought up the idea of supporting our Canadian troops, the decision to do that was both immediate and unanimous. We have young men and women in harm's way in foreign lands. Not all come back unscathed. We wanted to help those in need of numerous forms of assistance. That's why we decided to join with Wounded Warriors.ca to help bring awareness to their cause and to help raise funds for them during the Honda Indy Toronto race weekend."

Commenting on the support Captain George W. Johnston, president and founder of Wounded Warriors.ca., said, "As a soldier and the father of a soldier I think I can speak for all military members and their families when I say thank you from the bottom of my heart. We see the support for the troops every day and what the Ontario Honda Dealers have done here today, has made them corporate heroes,"

Tracy, whose talent and determination have made him a fan favorite, will be contesting his 17th race in Toronto. In 16 previous starts on the streets of Toronto he has finished in the top-10 a total of 11 times with eight top-five showings, five podium performances, two wins (1993 and 2003) and one pole.

"I want to thank the Ontario Honda Dealers Association, Kevin Kalkhoven and Jimmy Vasser for the opportunity to race in front of my hometown fans," Tracy said. "I am especially thankful because it is a tremendous honor to represent Wounded Warriors.ca. I am proud to be able to support and raise awareness for this organization that assists Canadian armed forces personnel."

The Toronto race will be Tracy's fourth IndyCar start. In May he competed for KVRT at the Indy 500 finishing ninth. His other IndyCar events were the 2002 Indy 500, where he placed second, and the 2008 Edmonton race, placed fourth. Tracy will also compete in the Camping World Grand Prix at the Glen, July 5, at Watkins Glen International in Watkins Glen, New York in a tune-up prior to the Honda Indy Toronto race and then Rexall Edmonton Indy on July 26.

Now in his 19th season, Tracy has crafted a career that has established him as one of the top drivers ever to step into the cockpit of an open-wheel car. The resident of Las Vegas, Nevada is among the top-10 in almost every Champ Car career statistical category including wins, 31 (tied for seventh all-time), poles, 25 (ninth all-time), and laps led, 4,238 (sixth all-time). He has 75 career podium performances, 102 top-five finishes and 142 top-10 showings in 265 starts (262 in Champ Car, tied for eighth all-time and three in IndyCar). In the 15 seasons in which Tracy has competed in over 80% of the races, he has finished in the top-10 in the championship standings 10 times including eight times in the top-five, four in the top-three and captured the championship in 2003.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:54 am

Richmond: KV Racing preview

Mario Moraes returns to Richmond after an unfortunate incident in Iowa last weekend. Moraes was unable to avoid an accident caused by another competitor and with no where to go, ended up hitting the wall. He did however manage to earn 13 points moving him to 16th in the championship standings with 108 and 34 points out of 10th place.

* Moraes is in his second IndyCar season and first with KV Racing Technology.

* Prior to this season Moraes had never qualified higher than 10th on any circuit and never higher than 20th on an oval. Since joining KVRT he has qualified in the top-seven in four out of his five oval events including a career high fifth in Milwaukee (Iowa's qualifying was cancelled, due to a leaky track, so they went by entrant points, 15th)

* The 2009 SunTrust Indy Challenge at the Richmond International Raceway will be Moraes' 24th IndyCar career start, 16th on an oval, eighth with KVRT and second at Richmond.

* In 15 previous oval starts, Moraes has a best finish of ninth at Milwaukee in 2009 (previous high 10th at Nashville in 2008). His best oval qualifying position is fifth at Milwaukee also this year.

* Moraes' career best finish is seventh on the Watkins Glen International road course.

* Moraes has five career top-10 finishes (seventh, Watkins Glen, ninth, Milwaukee, 10th, Texas, Nashville and Infineon Raceway) in 23 career IndyCar starts.

* In his first full season of IndyCar Series competition, Moraes finished sixth in the Bombardier Rookie of the Year standings.

* Moraes led his first career IndyCar Series laps (3) at the Indianapolis 500 in 2008.

* A native of Sao Paulo, Brazil, Moraes, 20, currently resides in Miami, Florida. He is the second youngest driver in the IndyCar Series (born 12/20/88; Graham Rahal 1/4/89).

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:07 am

MARIO MORAES FINISHES 16th IN SUNTRUST INDY CHALLANGE

RICHMOND, VA - - JUNE 27, 2009 - - Round #8 2009 IndyCar Series season - - KV Racing Technology driver Mario Moraes finished 16th today in the SunTrust Indy Challenge at Richmond International Speedway in Richmond, Virginia.

Moraes, who made his second appearance on the .75-mile Richmond short oval, qualified 19th. However, during final practice yesterday he had an incident that sent the #5 Azul -- Votorantim - KV Racing Technology crew scurrying to affect repairs. After working late into Friday evening and part of Saturday the crew had the car ready for the 8:45 p.m. start. Moraes went down a couple of laps early in the contest when the yellow flags did not fall his way forcing him to pit under the green, always a problem on a short oval. However, the determined Brazilian showed his mettle and battled for the remainder of the race which featured virtually no passing. An aggressive race strategy, outstanding pit work by his crew and a solid drive by Moraes keep him in the contest and often running the same times as the leaders. Moraes picked up 14 points for his performance and remains 16th in the standings with 122 points, just 22 out of 11th place.

"I am happy we finished the race," Moraes said. "After the crash yesterday that was our priority. The KVRT crew did a great job repairing the car and the engineers did a good job making the changes to give me a solid car for the race. It was important to finish the race and get points."

Moraes, who is in his second IndyCar season and first with KVRT, made his 24th career IndyCar start, 16th on an oval and eighth with KVRT. Today's 16th place showing is his best at Richmond. Since joining KVRT Moraes has qualified in the top-seven in four of six oval events, and four of seven races (Iowa's qualifying cancelled) including a career high fifth in Milwaukee. He had one top-10 qualifying effort last year. Moraes has earned career high finishes on five of the eight tracks this season and had his career best oval performance placing ninth at Milwaukee.

Next up for KVRT is the Camping World Grand Prix at the Glen, July 3-5, at Watkins Glen International in Watkins Glen, New York.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:39 am

KV RACING TECHNOLOGY TO CAMPAIGN TWO CARS AT WATKINS GLEN

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - - JULY 1, 2009 - - Open-wheel superstar Paul Tracy will join Mario Moraes in a two car effort for KV Racing Technology in this weekend's Camping World Grand Prix at the Glen, July 4-5, at Watkins Glen International in Watkins Glen, New York.

Tracy, #15 GEICO -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone, will be making the first of three consecutive starts, all on road/street circuits, for KVRT this weekend. The 2003 Champ Car World Series champion, who will be competing for the first time on the 3.4-mile, 11-turn Watkins permanent road circuit, is also set to race for the team at the Honda Indy Toronto, July 10-12, and Rexall Edmonton Indy, July 24-26. Tracy, who drove for KVRT at this year's Indianapolis 500, qualifying 13th and finishing ninth, will be contesting his fourth IndyCar event. In addition to the 2009 Indy 500, he ran at Indy in 2002, finishing second and competed at Edmonton last year qualifying 15th and finishing fourth.

"I am excited to be racing at Watkins Glen this weekend," Tracy said. "It feels a little strange that in all the years I have been racing I have never competed at the Glen. I want to thank GEICO Insurance, Kevin Kalkhoven and Jimmy Vasser for this opportunity. I enjoyed the month of May, but we were on a limited program. Now I can settle in, work with Mark Johnson (KVRT General Manager), the engineers and crew for three straight races. I have said before and I will say it again...at this point in my career I am not just out there to finish races, I am out there to win."

Moraes, #5 Azul -- Votorantim -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone, is coming off a frustrating 16th place performance last weekend in Richmond. The native of Brazil, who is the second youngest driver in the series, is currently 16th in the standings with 122 points, but just 22 out of 11th place. Moraes, in his second IndyCar season and first with KVRT, will be making his 25th career IndyCar start, ninth on a road/street course, ninth with KVRT and second at Watkins Glen. Last year in his debut at the Glen, Moraes earned his IndyCar career best finish, a seventh place performance. Since joining KVRT for the 2009 season, Moraes has qualified in the top-seven in four of seven races (Iowa's qualifying cancelled) including a career high fifth in Milwaukee. He had just one top-10 qualifying effort last year. Moraes has earned career high finishes on five of the eight tracks this season, had two top-10 showings (had a total of three all last season) and earned his career best oval finish placing ninth at Milwaukee.

"The last couple of races for KV Racing Technology have been frustrating," Moraes said. "The team has worked very hard, but we have not produced the results we want. We tested at Watkins Glen earlier this month and got a lot of good data. Also, I had my best IndyCar finish there last year, so I am confident we can have a good performance this weekend."

The Camping World Grand Prix at the Glen is Round #9 of the 2009 IndyCar Series season. The race will be broadcast live on ABC at 1:00 p.m. ET

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:58 pm

KV RACING TECHNOLOGY'S MORAES QUALIFIES INDYCAR CAREER HIGH FOURTH FOR CAMPING WORLD GRAND PRIX AT THE GLEN
PAUL TRACY TO START 15TH

WATKINS GLEN, NY -- JULY 4, 2009 -- Round #9, 2009 IndyCar Series season -- KV Racing Technology's Mario Moraes qualified an IndyCar career high fourth for tomorrow's Camping World Grand Prix at The Glen at Watkins Glen International in Watkins Glen, New York. Teammate Paul Tracy will start 15th.

Moraes, who reached the Firestone Fast Six, the final round of road course qualifying, for the first time in his two year IndyCar career, recorded a fast lap of 89.8003 seconds (135.100 mph). The talented Brazilian, who is making his second appearance on the 3.4-mile, 11-turn Watkins Glen road course, will grid the #5 Azul -- Votorantim - KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine on the outside of Row #2. Tracy, #15 GEICO -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone, who is making his debut at the Glen and racing on a road course for the first time since July 2008 at Edmonton, qualified with a time of 90.6167 seconds (133.883 mph) and will start on the inside of Row #8.

"The KV Racing Technology team did a great job setting the car up for qualifying today," Moraes said. "It really shows that the test we did here two weeks ago paid off and I just hope that all of our hard work pays off for the race tomorrow."

Commenting on his qualifying session, Tracy said, "The GEICO -- KV Racing Technology team did a great job making #15 car so good. I just have no track experience here at Watkins Glen. I am getting better and better with every lap and we made some big gains the last two laps. For tomorrow's race we will just have to see how it plays out."

In morning practice Moraes was at the top of the speed charts for most of the 90-minute practice session with a time of 90.3020 seconds (134.349 mph), but eventually dropped to fifth. In qualifying, he in the first group in Round #1 (total of two groups, 21 cars) and posted a fast time 89.4251 seconds, good for third in his group and advancing him to the second round (fastest six cars from each group advance to second round). In Round #2, Moraes recorded the fourth fastest lap, 88.9993 seconds, to advance to the final round of six cars. The finals were marred by a Dario Franchitti crash which forced the drivers into a one lap shootout where Moraes posted his fast lap on that final lap of the round.

Tracy, who turned his first laps ever at Watkins Glen in morning practice, spent most of the session familiarizing himself with the track. He recorded a fast time of 92.0303 seconds (131.826 mph) after running 32 laps, the second most of any driver in the session. For qualifying, Tracy was also in the first gorup in Round #1. He recorded his fast lap on the 10th and final lap he turned putting him eighth in his group and ending his qualifying session.

Moraes, 20, the second youngest driver in the series, is in his first season with KVRT. He has now qualified in the top-seven in five of the eight races (Iowa's qualifying cancelled) this year, including twice in the top-five, after earning just one top-10 qualifying spot, 10th at Edmonton, last year. Moraes, who will be making his 25th career IndyCar start and ninth on a road/street course has an IndyCar career high finish of seventh coincidentally in his debut at the Glen last year. He is currently 16th in the standings with 122 points, but just 22 points out of 11th place.

Tracy will be making his 267th career start, fifth in the IndyCar Series, second for KVRT and first of three consecutive for the team (will race in Toronto and Edmonton) when the green flag drops tomorrow. The native of Canada previously ran this year's Indy 500 with KVRT finishing ninth. In addition, Tracy ran at Milwaukee for A. J. Foyt Racing earlier this season finishing 17th, contested the 2002 Indy 500, where he was the runner-up and competed at Edmonton last year finishing fourth. Now in his 19th season, Tracy, the 2003 Champ Car World Series champion, is among the top-10 in almost every all-time statistical category.

Moraes's fourth place starting position is KVRT's best in four attempts, two races, at Watkins Glen. Last year in their inaugural race at the Glen, Will Power qualified 12th and finished 15th while Oriol Servia started fifth and finished 23rd. KVRT is fielding a multi-car effort for just the second time this season. They previously ran three cars at this year's Indy 500.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:59 pm

KV RACING TECHNOLOGY FINISHES 14th AND 19th IN CAMPANING WORLD GRAND PRIX AT THE GLEN

WATKINS GLEN, NY -- JULY 5, 2009 -- Round #9, 2009 IndyCar Series season -- KV Racing Technology drivers Mario Moraes and Paul Tracy finished 14th and 19th respectively today in the Camping World Grand Prix at the Glen at Watkins Glen International in Watkins Glen, New York.

Moraes, who made his second appearance on the 3.4-mile, 11-turn Watkins Glen road course, qualified an IndyCar career high fourth. He kept the #5 Azul -- Votorantim - KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine in the top-three, actually taking the lead at one point, until his first pit stop when an untimely yellow flag cost him significant track position. Following the ensuing restart Moraes and Ed Carpenter made contact. The incident resulted in a drive through penalty for Moraes and some damage that forced him to pit. He rejoined the race in 16th place, but continued to battle for the remainder of the race picking up two spots.

"The KV Racing Technology team gave me a very fast car all weekend," Moraes said. "We had a great first stint, then just as I was going to pit the yellow flag came out and I lost some track position. After the restart I tried to make a move on (Ed) Carpenter. I don't think he saw me and we touched on my left rear tire. I went hard over the rubble strips, which damaged my suspension and front left wing. Then it was a case of just trying to hang in until the end of the race. It is a shame because the team worked so hard and the car was really fast."

Tracy, #15 GEICO -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone, who made his debut at the Glen today, started 14th (Graham Rahal disqualified at technical inspection following qualifying). Competing on a road course for the first time since July 2008 at Edmonton, Tracy quickly moved into the top-10 where he remained until lap 29 when he lost control of the car and slid into the wall ending his race.

"The GEICO -- KV Racing Technology car just got away from me," Tracy said. "This is a tough track and I don't have a lot of experience here. I thought if we could get through the race there would be a lot of accidents and I would have a shot at a good finish, but I ended up being one of the accidents. I am disappointed for KV Racing Technology and GEICO. We wanted to finish the race and I think if we had we would have finished 10th or 12th, but I just made a mistake."

Moraes, a 20-year-old native of Brazil, and the second youngest driver in the series, is in his second IndyCar season and first season with KVRT. He made his 25th career IndyCar start and ninth on a road/street course today. The 14th place finish is KVRT's best in two races, four starts, at Watkins Glen. Coincidentally, Moraes IndyCar career best finished came here at the Glen last year when he placed seventh.

Tracy, the 2003 Champ Car World Series champion, made his 267th career start, fifth in the IndyCar Series, third of the 2009 season, second for KVRT and first of three consecutive for the team (will race in Toronto and Edmonton). The native of Canada previously ran this year's Indy 500 with KVRT finishing ninth and at Milwaukee for A. J. Foyt Racing placing 17th. His other two IndyCar stats were in the 2002 Indy 500, where he was the runner-up and at Edmonton last year where he placed fourth.

Next up for KV Racing Technology is the Honda Indy Toronto, July 10-12, on the streets of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The race will be broadcast live on ABC at 1:00 p.m. ET.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:11 am

Toronto: KV Racing preview

TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA - JULY 8, 2009 -- Round #10, 2009 IndyCar Series season - KV Racing Technology drivers Paul Tracy and Mario Moraes will both be looking to have strong performances this weekend at the Honda Indy Toronto, July 10-12, on the streets of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Tracy, #15 Ontario Honda Dealers - Wounded Warriors.ca - KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone, returns to compete in his hometown for the first time since 2007. The native of Scarborough, Ontario, Canada, just outside of Toronto, will be making his 17th start on the 1.75-mile, 11-turn temporary street circuit and the second of three consecutive starts for KVRT this weekend. Last weekend at Watkins Glen, a tune-up for this event, Tracy was headed for a top-10 finish when he spun off and damaged his car.

"I am excited to be racing in my hometown again," Tracy said. "Racing in Canada has always been very important to me. I really appreciate all the fan support I get here and to be able to race in support of Wounded Warriors.ca is an honor. I want to thank the Ontario Honda Dealers, Kevin Kalkhoven and Jimmy Vasser for this opportunity. Last weekend's race in Watkins Glen didn't go the way we wanted, but it gave me a chance to get back in the car and I think that will help a lot this weekend. KVRT is a very strong team, and under the leadership of Mark Johnson (KVRT General Manager), I think we have a realistic chance at a top-five finish this weekend."

Tracy will team again with Mario Moraes in a two car effort for KVRT this weekend. Moraes, who will be making his first start on the streets of Toronto, qualified a career high fourth last weekend at Watkins Glen. He ran in the top-three for the first third of the race, but an untimely yellow flag and an incident soon thereafter, which damaged the #5 KV Racing Technology - Votorantim Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine, ended his race in 14th place.

"The KV Racing Technology team gave me a very fast car last weekend, but it was just too bad the way the race turned out" Moraes said. "The team has worked very hard and we know that we have the car and the ability to have a good performance. This will be my first race in Toronto, but last week, surprisingly, I was the one with more experience and got to help Paul (Tracy) with his first race at Watkins Glen, so hopefully he will return the favor this weekend."

Tracy will be making his 268th career start, sixth in the IndyCar Series, fourth of the 2009 season and third with KVRT. In 16 previous starts in Toronto he has finished in the top-10 a total of 11 times with eight top-five showings, five podiums, two wins (1993 and 2003) and one pole. In addition to Watkins Glen, Tracy also drove for KVRT at this year's Indianapolis 500 finishing ninth and will race for the team at Edmonton July 24-26. His other IndyCar starts came at this year's Milwaukee race for A.J. Foyt Racing, placed 17th, at Indy in 2002, finished second and at Edmonton last year finished fourth.

Moraes, a 20-year-old native of Brazil, and second youngest driver in the series, is in his second IndyCar season and first with KVRT. He will be making his 26th career IndyCar start and 10th on a road/street course this weekend. Since joining KVRT for the 2009 season, Moraes has earned career high finishes on five of the nine tracks this season, had two top-10 showings (total of three all last season) and earned his career best oval finish placing ninth at Milwaukee (IndyCar career best finish is seventh at Watkins Glen in 2008). Moraes has qualified in the top-seven in five of the eight races (Iowa qualifying cancelled) this year, including twice in the top-five (IndyCar career high fourth at Watkins Glen and an oval career high fifth at Milwaukee), after earning just one top-10 qualifying spot last year. He is currently16th in the standings with 138 points.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:17 am

KV RACING TECHNOLOGY 13th and 16th AFTER FIRST DAY OF PRACTICE FOR HONDA
INDY TORONTO

TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA - - JULY 10, 2009 - - Round #10 2009 IndyCar Series season - - KV Racing Technology drivers Paul Tracy and Mario Moraes were 13th and 16th respectively on the speed charts following the first day of practice for the Honda Indy Toronto on the streets of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Tracy, #15 Ontario Honda Dealers -- Wounded Warriors.ca -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone, is competing on the 1.75-mile,11-turn temporary street circuit for the 17th time. The native of Scarborough, Ontario, Canada, just outside of Toronto, who is racing in his hometown for the first time since 2007, started the day strong recording the fifth fastest lap of the 90-minute morning practice with a time of 62.3930 seconds (101.261 mph). KVRT spent the afternoon practice working on race setups and although Tracy ran marginally faster, 62.3653 seconds (101.306 mph) he dropped back eight places.

"The Ontario Honda Dealers -- Wounded Warriors.ca -- KV Racing Technology team had a good test day today," Tracy said. "We had a very good morning practice. We were in the top-five most of the session and the car felt really good. It was nice to be back on a track that I know and racing in front of my hometown fans. In the afternoon we tried a few things for the race setup that didn't work for the car, so we lost our way a little bit. But, that was what the practice session was for. We have another practice tomorrow morning to get ready for qualifying and I am confident that we can be back in the top-five."

Moraes, who is making his first appearance in Toronto, was 15th on the speed charts in the morning session with a fastest lap of 63.0293 seconds (100.239 mph). During the afternoon practice, the native of Brazil, in the #5 Azul -- Votorantim -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine, he improved his time by over .4 of a second logging a fast lap of 62.6133 seconds (100.905 mph).

"For my first time on the Toronto track I think the KV Racing Technology team had a good day," Moraes said. "I learned a lot about the track and the car felt good. Unfortunately, I had some back luck at the end of the session. We had just put on new tires and I was going to go out and try and put a fast lap together, but the yellow flag came out. We have another practice tomorrow and I think after that we will be ready to have a good qualifying session."

Tracy is contesting the second of three consecutive races for KVRT. He will be making his 268th career start, sixth in the IndyCar Series, fourth of the 2009 season and third with KVRT. In 16 previous starts in Toronto he has earned one pole and finished on the podium five times with two wins (1993 and 2003). Tracy previously drove for KVRT at Watkins Glen last week, finishing 19th, and at this year's Indy 500, finishing ninth. He will also race for the team at Edmonton, July 24-26. His other IndyCar starts came at this year's Milwaukee race for A.J. Foyt Racing, placed 17th, at Indy in 2002, finished second and at Edmonton last year finished fourth.

Moraes, 20, the second youngest driver in the series, is in his second IndyCar season and first with KVRT. He will be making his 26th career IndyCar start and 10th on a road/street course this weekend. Since joining KVRT for the 2009 season, Moraes has earned career high finishes on five of the nine tracks this season, had two top-10 showings (only three all last season) and earned his career best oval finish placing ninth at Milwaukee. His IndyCar career best finish is seventh at Watkins Glen in 2008. Moraes has qualified in the top-seven in five of the eight races (Iowa qualifying cancelled) this year, twice in the top-five, including an IndyCar career high fourth at Watkins Glen and an oval career high fifth at Milwaukee, after earning just one top-10 qualifying spot last year. He is currently16th in the standings with 138 points.

KVRT will be contesting its sixth race in Toronto. In five previous races, nine starts, the team has qualified in the top-10 four times with one top-five starting spot, fifth by Oriol Servia in 2006. They have finished in the top-10 three times all three times in the top-five and twice on the podium (Neel Jani, second in 2007; Jimmy Vasser, second in 2004; and fourth in 2005).

Tomorrow will feature a split practice. Both Tracy and Moraes go out with the first group at 9:40 a.m. Morning practice will be followed by qualifying which is scheduled for 2:05 p.m. The Honda Indy Toronto will be broadcast live on ABC at 1:00 p.m. ET.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:17 am

KV RACING TECHNOLOGY QUALIFIES 13th AND 15th FOR HONDA INDY TORONTO

TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA -- JULY 11, 2009 -- Round #10, 2009 IndyCar Series season -- KV Racing Technology drivers Mario Moraes and Paul Tracy qualified 13th and 15th respectively today for tomorrow's Honda Indy Toronto on the streets of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Moraes, making his first appearance on the 1.75-mile, 11-turn temporary street circuit, recorded a fast lap of 61.9704 seconds (101.952 mph). The talented Brazilian will grid the #5 Azul -- Votorantim - KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine on the inside of Row #7. Tracy, #15 Ontario Honda Dealers -- Wounded Warriors.ca -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone, competing in his hometown for the 17th time, qualified with a time of 61.9730 seconds (101.948 mph). The native of Scarborough, Ontario, Canada, just outside of Toronto, will start on the inside of Row #8.

"The Azul -- Votorantim -- KV Racing Technology team had a disappointing qualifying session," Moraes said. "It was unusual to have our fastest lap on the black tires instead of the red. The team will work on the car tonight and with a good race strategy tomorrow, I am confident I can have a good race.

Tracy said, "I am super disappointed. We just missed advancing by a hundredth of a second. The times are so tight from fifth to eighth and I just couldn't get any more out of the Ontario Honda Dealers -- Wounded Warriors.ca car. We had a very good car the first practice yesterday when the track was slippery and a good car on the wet track this morning. I am very frustrated. As far as the race tomorrow... it is going to be tough, but it is a street circuit and anything can happen. I have to get the car through Turn #1 at the start and not get collected in a crash. Then just settle into a pace, work our race strategy, save fuel and the tires and see what happens."

Moraes was15th on the speed charts following yesterday's twin practices with a time of 62.6133 (100.905 mph). In this morning's practice, which was delayed by lightening and heavy rain, he recorded the third fastest time (76.1242) on a very wet and slippery track. For qualifying, Moraes ran in the first group in Round #1. He did two six lap stints, the first on the black primary tire and the second on the red alternate tire. His fast time came on the fifth lap of his first stint.

Tracy was 13th on the speed charts at the start of the day with a time of 62.3653 (101.306 mph). In morning practice he had the fastest lap, 75.5345. For qualifying, Tracy also went out with the first group in Round #1 and like his teammate ran two stints one on each kind of tire. His fast lap came on his eighth overall, third of the second stint and on red tires.

Moraes, 20, the second youngest driver in the series, is in his second IndyCar season and first with KVRT. He will be making his 26th career IndyCar start and 10th on a road/street course this weekend. Since joining KVRT for the 2009 season, Moraes has qualified in the top-seven in five of the nine races (Iowa qualifying cancelled) this year, twice in the top-five, including an IndyCar career high fourth at Watkins Glen and an oval career high fifth at Milwaukee, after earning just one top-10 qualifying spot last year. He has earned career high finishes on five of the nine tracks this season, had two top-10 showings (only three all last season) and earned his career best oval finish placing ninth at Milwaukee. His IndyCar career best finish is seventh at Watkins Glen in 2008. Moraes is currently16th in the standings with 138 points.

Tracy, 40, is contesting the second of three consecutive races for KVRT. He will be making his 268th career start, sixth in the IndyCar Series, fourth of the 2009 season and third with KVRT. In 16 previous starts in Toronto, Tracy has earned 11 top-10 finishes with eight top-five showings, five podiums, two wins (1993 and 2003) and one pole. Tracy previously drove for KVRT at Watkins Glen last week, finishing 19th, and at this year's Indy 500, finishing ninth. He will also race for the team at Edmonton. His other IndyCar starts came at this year in Milwaukee for A.J. Foyt, placed 17th, at Indy in 2002, finished second and at Edmonton last year finished fourth.

KVRT will be contesting its sixth race in Toronto. In five previous races, nine starts, the team has qualified in the top-10 four times with one top-five starting spot, fifth by Oriol Servia in 2006. They have finished in the top-10 three times all in the top-five and twice on the podium (Neel Jani, second in 2007; Jimmy Vasser, second in 2004; and fourth in 2005).