Round 12--Lexmark Indy 300

All about the Champ Car World Series (CCWS)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

Who will win the Lexmark Indy 300?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:26 pm

Sebastien Bourdais
67%
Paul Tracy
No votes
A.J. Allmendinger
33%
Timo Glock
No votes
Oriol Servia
No votes
Oriol Servia
No votes
Alex Tagliani
No votes
none of the above
No votes

Total votes: 3

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Round 12--Lexmark Indy 300

Post by mlittle » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:26 pm

With the cancellation of the ChampCar World Series Grand Prix of Ansan, the series moves forward to what is probably, next to the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, the series' other signature street race, the Lexmark Indy 300, on the streets of Surfers Paradise, on Queenslands' Gold Coast. Since 1991, ChampCar has made the annual trans-Pacific trip to Surfers' and each year has had its' own chapter in the series' history. In the 14 yrs. of the event, not one driver has ever won the event more than once, adding to the mystique of the race. Throw in the fact that current points leader Sebastien Bourdais can clinch the Vanderbilt Cup and become the first 2-time series champion since Gil De Ferran won in 2000 and 2001 and the race takes on more significance. There will be a new winner for 2005, as 2004 winner Bruno Junquiera continues to rehab following injuries suffered at the Indy 500 back on Memorial Day Sunday, May 29th. Who will it be? That will be the question everyone there will be asking? Could SeaBass take his 6th win of the season? Can his nemesis Paul Tracy be the first 2-time winner at Surfers'? Or, will someone new take the checkers, like Alex Tagliani, Timo Glock, or A.J. Allmendinger?

Here, now, is the weekend schedule(all times are U.S. Eastern Daylight Time, as posted on the ChampCar website):

Practice Session #1--8:00 PM, 21 Oct. 2005(10:00 AM local time, 21 Oct.)
Practice Session #2--11:45 PM, 21 Oct. 2005(1:45 PM local time, 21 Oct.)
Qualifying Session #1--12:10 AM(approx.), 21 Oct. 2005(2:10 PM local)
Practice Session #3--8:15 PM, 22 Oct. 2005(10:15 AM local, 22 Oct.)
Practice Session #4--11:45 PM, 22 Oct. 2005(1:45 PM local, 22 Oct.)
Qualifying Session #2--12:10 AM(approx.), 22 Oct. 2005(2:10 PM local)
WarmUp Session--7:15 PM, 23 Oct. 2005(9:15 AM local, 23 Oct.)
Lexmark Indy 300--11:15 PM, 23 Oct. 2005(tape-delay broadcast in the States' on Speed Channel, 4:30 PM, Sunday, Oct. 23rd)[1:15 PM local]

As always, I'll have the storylines the week of the race, plus news, commentary, observations, and whatever else comes to mind. And, since this race is being paired with the Australian V8 Supercar Series, I fully expect Julian and Co. to throw their two cents in, as well. 8) :lol: :lol: 8)
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:41 pm

Mfer, as a side event to the V8 Supercars at Indy, I welcome any commentary on the incidental single seater race taking place there :lol:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:49 pm

You know, if you think about it, our two events are side events to the others. I'm sure there are a lot of ChampCar fans who consider the V8s' to be a "support" race for the CCs', while there are certainly a lot of V8 fans who consider the CCs' a "support" race for the Supercars. 8) :lol: 8) 8)

So, if you think about it, they both support each other, and thus, should share the billing for Surfers'.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:21 pm

mate, my first post was for a bit if a stir. On a serious note, the V8 Supercars now share equal billing for the event, in this country. :lol:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:34 pm

I know, you've mentioned it before. Relax...cause' I suspect its' going to be one heck of a race weekend, for both series.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:53 pm

yup, the concrete canyon takes no prisoners :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:05 pm

All street races are like that...especially in the past three years with PT and SeaBass ontrack at the same time! 8) 8) :shock: :shock: :shock:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:09 pm

I think, from memory, that PT has a history of contact with other vehicles at this circuit.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:12 pm

Yeah, PT has a "history" of using the chrome horn on anyone in front of him...I just hope race control watches him, cause' if he gets behind Bourdais and they're racing for the win, then, well... :danger: :danger: :danger: :crush: :crush: :argue:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Team Australia Adds 3rd Car for Surfers

Post by mlittle » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:42 am

Walker Racing/Team Australia will be running a third car for the Lexmark Indy 300 at Surfers', according to the team's co-owners, Derrick Walker and Craig Gore. The team made the announcement Thursday, announcing also who the driver of the third car will be. According to the team's co-owners, Australian native Will Power will be in the third car, alongside the team's two current drivers, Alex Tagliani and Marcus Marshall. Power, who's competed in several formula series(Formula Ford, Australia-2000, 2001; V8 Supercars-2002, Formula 3-2003, Renault World Series-2004), as well as the Bathurst 24-Hrs.(2003), was signed to a three-year contract by the team. Here are some quotes from Walker, Gore, and Power.

Derrick Walker, Co-Owner, Walker Racing/Team Australia:
All the early indications are that Will could be a very competitive driver in the Champ Car series. He certainly has the pace and is professional in the way he approaches his racing. I am sure Will (will) be a positive edition to our team and I look forward to seeing him make his debut on the streets of the Gold Coast.
Craig Gore, Co-Owner, Walker Racing/Team Australia:
We have been toying with the idea of running three cars at the Lexmark Indy 300 for sometime and when Will made himself available we jumped at the chance. We have extended that further by signing him to a three-year contract. Will has had the opportunity to test with us and has done an impressive job. It is great that we not only have an Australian in a third car, but to have a Queenslander is a bonus. This is the next step in our on-going journey to help Australians to the highest level of motorsport.
Will Power, Driver, Walker Racing/Team Australia:
Team Australia is an exciting concept and I look forward to a long-term relationship with Craig Gore, John Fish and Derrick Walker. The Champ Car World Series is one of the most exciting categories of racing in the world and I am excited about being a part of it with Team Australia. I got a real taste for the Gold Coast event in 2001 when I competed in the Honda Young Guns event in 2001 and to finally get an opportunity in an Australian-owned and branded team is something I am going to be proud of. To make my debut on the Gold Coast is also going to be a fantasic experience and it would be terrific if we could have similar or better success than David Besnard did last year when he finished seventh in his Champ Car race.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

McDowell to Drive for Rocketsports at Surfers, Mexico City

Post by mlittle » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:37 am

Apparently, there will be a new driver in the #31 CytoMax/Red Paw Systems FC/L for Rocketsports Racing in the CCWS' last two races of 2005, as current driver Ryan Hunter-Reay was released from his contract with the team, and current Rolex Sports Car Racer Michael McDowell has signed with the team to drive for them at Surfers and Mexico City. In essence, this is a two-race test for the rising American, who may get the seat full-time in 2006 with solid performances the rest of this year.

Quotes from both Gentilozzi and McDowell....

Paul Gentilozzi, Owner, Rocketsports Racing:
Michael came highly recommended from Rob Finlay(McDowell's team owner in RSCS) and others in the racing industry. He shows great potential and the desire to be competitve in anything he races. We are looking forward to the next two races to allow him to get comfortable with the car and crew in preparation for 2006. His eagerness to be in the car and to win, along with the team's determination to put Rocketsports back in victory circle should prove to be a winning combination.
Michael McDowell, #31 CytoMax/Red Paw Systems FC/L:
I am very excited for this opportunity. I would like to thank Rob Finlay and Paul Gentilozzi for providing me with such a fantastic opportunity and experience. Driving a Champ Car is something that I have been striving to do and I have been focusing my whole career to get to this point. I am lucky that I will get to live my dream and drive a Champ Car in the last two races of the season. I look forward to the challenge and will work hard to achieve some positive results for the Rocketsports team.
McDowell's racing resume reflects the success that Rocketsports has been looking for this season. After nearly 10 yrs. karting(which included 2 WKA titles, an IKF title and a podium finish at a CIK/FIA karting event), he raced in both Formula Russell and Star Mazda in 2002, and began a full-time season in Star Mazda in 2003, winning rookie honors there. He went on to win the 2004 Star Mazda Series title, winning 6 races, qualifying on the pole 7 times, along with 8 podium finishes total. In 2005, McDowell began racing in the Rolex Sports Car Series for Finlay Mtrspts. in a Riley/BMW in the Daytona Prototype class, while also driving for the team in the Rolex Grand-Am Cup in a BMW320i.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Re: Team Australia Adds 3rd Car for Surfers

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:57 am

mlittle wrote:Walker Racing/Team Australia will be running a third car for the Lexmark Indy 300 at Surfers', according to the team's co-owners, Derrick Walker and Craig Gore. The team made the announcement Thursday, announcing also who the driver of the third car will be. According to the team's co-owners, Australian native Will Power will be in the third car, alongside the team's two current drivers, Alex Tagliani and Marcus Marshall. Power, who's competed in several formula series(Formula Ford, Australia-2000, 2001; V8 Supercars-2002, Formula 3-2003, Renault World Series-2004), as well as the Bathurst 24-Hrs.(2003), was signed to a three-year contract by the team. Here are some quotes from Walker, Gore, and Power.

Derrick Walker, Co-Owner, Walker Racing/Team Australia:
All the early indications are that Will could be a very competitive driver in the Champ Car series. He certainly has the pace and is professional in the way he approaches his racing. I am sure Will (will) be a positive edition to our team and I look forward to seeing him make his debut on the streets of the Gold Coast.
Craig Gore, Co-Owner, Walker Racing/Team Australia:
We have been toying with the idea of running three cars at the Lexmark Indy 300 for sometime and when Will made himself available we jumped at the chance. We have extended that further by signing him to a three-year contract. Will has had the opportunity to test with us and has done an impressive job. It is great that we not only have an Australian in a third car, but to have a Queenslander is a bonus. This is the next step in our on-going journey to help Australians to the highest level of motorsport.
Will Power, Driver, Walker Racing/Team Australia:
Team Australia is an exciting concept and I look forward to a long-term relationship with Craig Gore, John Fish and Derrick Walker. The Champ Car World Series is one of the most exciting categories of racing in the world and I am excited about being a part of it with Team Australia. I got a real taste for the Gold Coast event in 2001 when I competed in the Honda Young Guns event in 2001 and to finally get an opportunity in an Australian-owned and branded team is something I am going to be proud of. To make my debut on the Gold Coast is also going to be a fantasic experience and it would be terrific if we could have similar or better success than David Besnard did last year when he finished seventh in his Champ Car race.
Craig Gore certainly seems to be backing up his statements with money, when it comes to furthering the careers of young drivers.
My personal observations of Power is that he has matured into a fast, smooth, sensible driver.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:22 pm

My only observation on Team Australia adding Will Power to their squad, Julian, for Surfers', is....are they going to add a third car for 2006, or are they possibly thinking of giving Power an Atlantics ride for 2006?

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Mid-Week Storylines from the Gold Coast

Post by mlittle » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:25 pm

With a few days to go before the race, here are some of the mid-week storylines that have washed ashore through the ChampCar paddock....

1}Good luck, Katherine! As have been reported elsewhere(here, Speedtv.com, autoracing1.com), Atlantic Championship driver Katherine Legge will be testing a Minardi(soon to be Squadra Toro Rosso) F1 car at the Vallelunga circuit in Italy with a couple of other drivers. It will, however, be one of two test sessions she'll be undertaking this off-season, as she will also be testing one of PKV Racing's cars at the road course at California Speedway in mid-November.

2}Can SeaBass clinch the title? With a 67-point lead over teammate Oriol Servia, the odds are that, when the checkered flag falls at Surfers, Sebastien Bourdais will likely be the series champion for 2005, the first back-to-back winner of the Vanderbilt Cup since Gil de Ferran in 2000-2001. However, this is Surfers Paradise, so expect the unexpected.

3}Welcome, boys! This race also marks the ChampCar debut of Michael McDowell and Will Power, and they couldn't picked a better track to "jump into the deep end of the pool", so to speak. Surfers Paradise is a beautiful and very, very challenging street circuit, with fast "switchback" chicanes, several 90-deg. turns and long straights. While McDowell is taking over for former driver Ryan Hunter-Reay, Power will be driving a third car for Walker Racing/Team Australia, and word in the paddock is that if Power outruns teammate Marcus Marshall.....then Marshall could be driving for his career, so to speak.

4}Will we see a 15th-cons. first-time winner? It could happen. This is one reason why many of the ChampCar drivers list Surfers as one of their favorite street races(next to Long Beach); strange things tend to happen inside the concrete walls of a street circuit. This race should be no exception.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:39 pm

Beware the weather :twisted: