2006 IRL Top 10 Driver Rankings

All about Indy Racing League (IRL)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

2006 IRL Top 10 Driver Rankings

Post by mlittle » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:47 am

The idea for this thread comes from two main sources.......the yearly driver rankings that Road & Track and Racer magazines post each year. Now, the way these rankings are listed has to do with the method used. Here's how I composed the rankings.......I looked at wins, poles, laps completed, races finished, where they finished in the points in 2005, no. of laps led, no. of races led, and so forth. I also took into account(at least for the first set of rankings) who they're driving for this year(as opposed to last year) and whether they drove a Honda, Toyota or Chevy in 2005.

Now that the explanations are out of the way beforehand, here are the preseason top-10 driver rankings and why they're in the order that they're in.
NOTE---feel free to comment on anything here, positive or negative, good or bad, whatever comes to mind.....post it. Just keep the comments clean, ok?

:1st: Dan Wheldon, Target/Ganassi Racing. To say that Wheldon had a career year in 2005 is an understatement of gigantic proportions. Driving for the juggernaut a/k/a Andretti-Green Racing, he won four of the first five races(including Indy) en route to a 6-win season(breaking Sam Hornish, Jr.'s record of 5 set in 2002) beating back all comers to the championship. Now he gets the chance to do it again, albeit with a different team this year, moving from AGR to Ganassi, where he'll partner w/2003 series champion Scott Dixon, who gave TGR a well-needed win at the Glen last Sept. Although the field is essentially leveled out with everyone running Honda-powered cars this year, Wheldon is still the driver to beat.

:2nd: Sam Hornish, Jr., Marlboro-Team Penske. It's said that the mark of a great racer is the ability to take even the worst cars and make em' into title-contenders. 2005 was an example of that, as Hornish, driving a TRD-powered Dallara, won 2 races(Phoenix, Milwaukee) and was competitive for most of the year, finishing third in the pts. and spoiling an AGR 1-2-3 podium. It was the second time Hornish has had to use an underpowered car; back in 2003, he drove a very underpowered Chevy Indy V8 for Panther Racing and still got a few top-5's(4th at Richmond, 5th at Pikes Peak) before being rescued via. Cosworth. He's a legitimate contender for the series title in 2006, but has two stumbling blocks in his way......his so-so road/street course record, and the fact that, in 6 visits to the Brickyard, he's finished better than 15th once(14th-2001) and has had three cons. DNF's(2003-engine failure, 2004-crash w/Greg Ray and Darren Manning, and 2005-crash after contact w/Sebastien Bourdais).

:3rd: Tony Kanaan, Andretti-Green Racing. After a year in which TK scored wins at Kansas and Infineon, he was the only other serious contender then-teammate Wheldon had in 2005. This year, he'll lead the four-headed AGR juggernaut as they adapt to not having the(in the words of Robin Miller) "cheeky little b------" around. His 2005 season wasn't too bad, by AGR standards.......besides the two wins, TK won the pole at Indy, along with 12 top-5 finishes.

4th: Dario Franchitti, Andretti-Green Racing. It was another decent season for the affable, dour Scotsman, as he posted wins at Fontana and his "adoptive" home track, Nashville, along with a pole at Fontana as well. In 2006, he'll have a new livery, as he slots into the #27 Jim Beam/Klein Tools Dallara that was Wheldon's in 2005, but all things considered, he's another top contender for series honors in 2006.

5th: Bryan Herta, Andretti-Green Racing. The "quiet man" of Andretti-Green Racing, Herta's as steady a veteran driver as you will find in NA motorsports.....nothing fazes him. He was part of an AGR 1-2-3-4 finish at St. Petersburg, where he became the first driver to win a pole at a non-oval track. He also scored poles at Michigan and Phoenix, and backed up the pole at Michigan with a win there. I consider him a sleeper candidate for series honors, but if any of the first four slip up...watch out.

6th: Helio Castroneves, Marlboro-Team Penske. For the 2-time Indy 500 winner, 2005 was not the best of years. Yes, he did win at the bullring of Richmond, and scored poles at Pikes Peak and the Glen, but it wasn't as good a year as a Penske driver should have. His only salvation of sorts, is this....both he and Hornish have, for now, long-term contracts, so all they have to worry is trying to bring the Captain a reocrd 14th AOWR title.

7th: Tomas Scheckter, Vision Racing. Last year was a good year for the South African.....a win on the "Texas Supercollider", poles at Texas, Homestead and Nashville, but there was one other thing I noticed about him last year.....he finally "grew up". By that, I mean he stopped trying to banzai his way to Victory Lane and started focusing on finishing races, which had plagued him out of rides w/Cheever and Ganassi. He also gave the departing Chevy camp a well-earned last season, as the Chevy-Cosworth engine was the most powerful engine around. This year, he joins Tony George's team and will partner third-year driver Ed Carpenter. He's another sleeper candidate for series honors, and if drives this year as he did last year, he'll be around at season's end.

8th: Scott Sharp, Aguri-Fernandez Racing. 2005 was a breath of fresh air for the Connecticut native. After two dismal, retriement-thought provoking seasons, he moved from Kelley Racing over to Aguri-Fernandez, and found the ole' mojo again, scoring a victory at Kentucky and proving that the old lion still had the fire again. Although he hasn't won a series title since 1996(co-champion w/Buzz Calkins), he still can't be overlooked on anyone's short list of contenders.

9th: Danica Patrick, Rahal-Letterman Racing. There's an old saying..."rookies should be seen and not heard." Somehow, that memo that didn't get to Ms. Patrick. Although she failed to score a win in 2005, she did score three poles(Kansas, Kentucky, and Chicagoland), led 19 laps at the Brickyard, had the fastest lap of the race at Kentucky, and won rookie-of-the-year honors. While her and the rest of RLR had to deal w/mechanical woes, seemingly snakebit luck and the other vagaries of racing, 2006 is a new year. While she'll have familiar company in 2004 Indy 500 champion Buddy Rice, she'll also have a new face alongside in 2006 Bombardier ROY contender Paul Dana. She, too, is someone that could, if the circumstance are right, could be in the title fight this year.

10th: Vitor Meira, Panther Racing. There were three big driver changes in 2005, and Meira's was the most controversial, in that, he had the best season of Rahal-Letterman's three drivers, and yet he found himself on the proverbial curb at season's end. Well, he gets a chance to show them that they were wrong to drop him, as he moves from the Ohio-based squad to Indy-based Panther Racing. Although he has yet to win a race in IndyCar Series competition, it isn't for lack of effort. Given the opportunity and circumstance, he could also be a surprise title contender.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:06 am

Mlittle wrote:7th: Tomas Scheckter, Vision Racing. Last year was a good year for the South African.....a win on the "Texas Supercollider", poles at Texas, Homestead and Nashville, but there was one other thing I noticed about him last year.....he finally "grew up". By that, I mean he stopped trying to banzai his way to Victory Lane and started focusing on finishing races, which had plagued him out of rides w/Cheever and Ganassi. He also gave the departing Chevy camp a well-earned last season, as the Chevy-Cosworth engine was the most powerful engine around. This year, he joins Tony George's team and will partner third-year driver Ed Carpenter. He's another sleeper candidate for series honors, and if drives this year as he did last year, he'll be around at season's end.

I dont mean to seem overly patriotic, but I would've rated him a bit higher..... :?:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:02 am

<T-K> wrote:
Mlittle wrote:7th: Tomas Scheckter, Vision Racing. Last year was a good year for the South African.....a win on the "Texas Supercollider", poles at Texas, Homestead and Nashville, but there was one other thing I noticed about him last year.....he finally "grew up". By that, I mean he stopped trying to banzai his way to Victory Lane and started focusing on finishing races, which had plagued him out of rides w/Cheever and Ganassi. He also gave the departing Chevy camp a well-earned last season, as the Chevy-Cosworth engine was the most powerful engine around. This year, he joins Tony George's team and will partner third-year driver Ed Carpenter. He's another sleeper candidate for series honors, and if drives this year as he did last year, he'll be around at season's end.

I dont mean to seem overly patriotic, but I would've rated him a bit higher..... :?:
2 reasons for his placing.....1}he's no longer driving for a top-level team(Panther), and 2}he no longer has the extra horsepower behind him(everyone now has Honda engines) that Chevy & Cosworth had in their Chevy Indy V8s' in 2005.

Look at it this way.......after the first three or four on the list, the remainder of the top 10 run the gamut of IRL teams, from powerhouses AGR, RLR, Ganassi and Penske, to mid-pack teams such as Vision and Panther. The talent level's that balanced.....at the top. After these ten and maybe two others(Dixon, B. Lazier), the talent level begins a.......how can I put it, a precarious drop?

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:25 am

Understood.......are you saying that he will not be competittive this year??

I thought this was based on driver skill, not whether they are in a front running team?

:?:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:44 am

<T-K> wrote:Understood.......are you saying that he will not be competittive this year??

I thought this was based on driver skill, not whether they are in a front running team?

:?:
It is based on driver skill; the irony is that he drove for a better team last year than the one he's with this year, but.....all things being equal, his presence w/Vision Racing should move that team up the ladder from where they were in 2005. Here's one example of what I mean......when the teams tested at Phoenix earlier this year, Vision was at or near the bottom of the timing charts. Scheckter arrives on day 2 of the test, and immediately sets one of the faster times on the chart(7th), and his teammate, Ed Carpenter, moved up to 8th on the chart, so his presence did move the team upward. At the recent Homestead tests, they were running competitive times throughout the entire session. Don't worry, though, T-K.....if he has a good season this year, he'll move up in the rankings.

P.S. Congrats on the MotoGP forum, T-K!!! Good luck!

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:20 pm

Top-10 driver rankings(prior to Sunday's race)
NOTE: points are distributed 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 to top-10 finishers in each race

1}Dan Wheldon............................10 pts.
2}Sam Hornish, Jr..........................9 pts.
3}Tony Kanaan..............................8 pts.
4}Dario Franchitti...........................7 pts.
5}Bryan Herta................................6 pts.
6}Helio Castroneves.......................5 pts.
7}Tomas Scheckter........................4 pts.
8}Scott Sharp................................3 pts.
9}Danica Patrick............................2 pts.
10}Vitor Meira................................1 pt.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:28 pm

Top-10 rankings following Sunday's race............
NOTE-(+/- position) from previous rankings

1}Dan Wheldon..............................20 pts.(nc)
2}Sam Hornish, Jr..........................17 pts(nc)
t-3}(3)Dario Franchitti....................14 pts(+1)
t-3}(4)Helio Castroneves................14 pts(+2)
5}Tony Kanaan...............................8 pts(-3)
6}Scott Sharp..................................7 pts(+2)
t-7}(7)Bryan Herta...........................6 pts(-2)
t-7}(8)Tomas Scheckter....................6 pts(-1)
t-7}(9)Scott Dixon............................6 pts(nr)
10}Kosuke Matsurra.........................5 pts(nr)

In: Dixon, Matsurra
Out: Patrick, Meira

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:25 pm

Top-10 following St. Pete.....

1}Helio Castroneves.....................24 pts.(+3)
t-2}(2)Dan Wheldon......................20 pts.(-1)
t-2}(3)Sam Hornish, Jr..................20 pts.(-1)
4}Tony Kanaan.............................16 pts.(+1)
5}Scott Dixon...............................15 pts.(+4)
6}Dario Franchitti...........................14 pts.(-3)
7}Bryan Herta................................13 pts.(nc)
8}Kosuke Matsurra.........................9 pts.(+1)
9}Scott Sharp.................................8 pts.(-3)
t-10}(10)Danica Patrick...................7 pts(nr)
t-10}(11)Vitor Meira........................7 pts(nr)

In: Patrick, Meira
Out: Scheckter

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:27 pm

mlittle wrote:Top-10 following St. Pete.....

1}Helio Castroneves.....................24 pts.(+3)
t-2}(2)Dan Wheldon......................20 pts.(-1)
t-2}(3)Sam Hornish, Jr..................20 pts.(-1)
4}Tony Kanaan.............................16 pts.(+1)
5}Scott Dixon...............................15 pts.(+4)
6}Dario Franchitti...........................14 pts.(-3)
7}Bryan Herta................................13 pts.(nc)
8}Kosuke Matsurra.........................9 pts.(+1)
9}Scott Sharp.................................8 pts.(-3)
t-10}(10)Danica Patrick...................7 pts(nr)
t-10}(11)Vitor Meira........................7 pts(nr)

In: Patrick, Meira
Out: Scheckter
Good to see Dario is still in the running despite loosing his bearings :roll:
Lewis Hamilton & Jenson Button World Champions :)

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:06 am

Top-10 following Motegi...........

1}Helio Castroneves............................34 pts(nc)
2}Dan Wheldon...................................29 pts(nc)
3}Sam Hornish, Jr...............................27 pts(nc)
4}Tony Kanaan...................................24 pts(nc)
5}Bryan Herta.....................................18 pts(+2)
6}Scott Dixon.....................................17 pts(-1)
7}Dario Franchitti................................14 pts(-1)
8}Kosuke Matsurra..............................13 pts(nc)
9}Danica Patrick.................................10 pts(nc)
t-10}(10)Scott Sharp...........................9 pts(-1)
t-10}(11)Vitor Meira............................9 pts(nc)

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon May 29, 2006 11:17 am

Top-10 following Indy..................

1st}Sam Hornish, Jr.........................................37 pts(+2)
2nd}Dan Wheldon............................................36 pts(nc)
3rd}Helio Castroneves.....................................34 pts(-2)
4th}Tony Kanaan.............................................30 pts(nc)
5th}Scott Dixon...............................................22 pts(+1)
t-6th}[6]Bryan Herta........................................18 pts(-1)
t-6th}[7]Dario Franchitti...................................18 pts(nc)
t-8th}[8]Danica Patrick.....................................13 pts(+1)
t-8th}[9]Kosuke Matsurra..................................13 pts(-1)
10th}Scott Sharp..............................................10 pts(nc)

In: n/a
Out: Meira

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:58 am

Top-10(+) driver rankings following Watkins Glen................

1st}Helio Castroneves...........................38 pts(+2)
2nd}Sam Hornish, Jr.............................37 pts(-1)
3rd}Dan Wheldon..................................36 pts(-1)
4th}Scott Dixon.....................................32 pts(+1)
5th}Tony Kanaan...................................30 pts(-1)
t-6th}[6]Bryan Herta..............................18 pts(nc)
t-6th}[7]Dario Franchitti..........................18 pts(nc)
t-6th}[8]Vitor Meira................................18 pts(nr)
9th}Danica Patrick..................................16 pts(-1)
t-10th}[10]Kosuke Matsurra.....................13 pts(-1)
t-10th}[11]Buddy Rice.............................13 pts(nr)

In: Meira, Rice
Out: Sharp

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:43 pm

Updated driver rankings following Texas.............(top-10+)

1st}Helio Castroneves..............................48 pts(nc)
t-2nd}[2]Sam Hornish, Jr..........................44 pts(nc)
t-2nd}[3]Dan Wheldon..............................44 pts(nc)
4th}Scott Dixon.......................................41 pts(nc)
5th}Tony Kanaan.....................................34 pts(nc)
6th}Vitor Meira.........................................23 pts(+2)
t-7th}[7]Bryan Herta.................................18 pts(-1)
t-7th}[8]Dario Franchitti............................18 pts(-1)
t-7th}[9]Scott Sharp.................................18 pts(nr)
t-10th}[10]Danica Patrick..........................16 pts(-1)
t-10th}[11]Kosuke Matsurra.......................16 pts(-1)

In: Sharp
Out: Rice

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:41 pm

Updated top-10 driver rankings following Richmond...............

1st}Sam Hornish, Jr...............................54 pts(+1)
2nd}Helio Castroneves...........................48 pts(-1)
3rd}Dan Wheldon..................................46 pts(nc)
4th}Scott Dixon.....................................42 pts(nc)
5th}Tony Kanaan...................................34 pts(nc)
6th}Vitor Meira......................................32 pts(nc)
7th}Dario Franchitti................................26 pts(+1)
8th}Scott Sharp.....................................25 pts(+1)
9th}Bryan Herta....................................23 pts(-3)
t-10th}[10]Danica Patrick.......................16 pts(nc)
t-10th}[11]Kosuke Matsurra....................16 pts(nc)

In: n/a
Out: n/a

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:01 pm

Mid-Season Driver Rankings.........first-half results(full standings):

1st}Sam Hornish, Jr.................................64 pts
2nd}Helio Castroneves.............................57 pts
3rd}Dan Wheldon.....................................53 pts
4th}Scott Dixon........................................50 pts
5th}Tony Kanaan......................................39 pts
6th}Vitor Meira.........................................33 pts
7th}Dario Franchitti...................................32 pts
8th}Bryan Herta........................................26 pts
9th}Scott Sharp.........................................25 pts
10th}Koskue Matsurra................................22 pts
11th}Marco Andretti...................................17 pts
12th}Danica Patrick....................................16 pts
13th}Buddy Rice........................................13 pts
14th}Tomas Scheckter...............................12 pts
15th}Felipe Giaffone...................................11 pts
16th}Ed Carpenter.....................................10 pts
t-17th}[17]Michael Andretti...........................8 pts
t-17th}[18]Ryan Briscoe...............................8 pts